Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: weird al yankovic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:10 am 

[center][glow=yellow,2,300]Poodle hat[/glow][/center]<br><br>
Quote:
It's been said that an artist will truly know they've entered pop culture when Weird Al Yankovic records a parody of their hit. But what does it mean when pop culture is ahead of Weird Al? Take his parody of the Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way," which Yankovic turns into "Ebay," but his satire is not far removed from the auction website's own advertising campaign of 2003, where people rave about the junk they bought on ebay to the tune of "My Way" ("I did it Ebay"). What does this mean? Well, to begin with, that Weird Al's sensibility has been so thoroughly assimilated by mass culture that it's tougher than ever for him to stay ahead of the game, but it also means that he's getting predictable. Even worse for his music, he's getting older and he doesn't have a finger on the pulse of pop culture anymore. Like Bill O'Reilly ranting about how hip-hop will lead to the destruction of America (something he actually did on The O'Reilly Factor the week Poodle Hat was released), offering generalizations about a culture he doesn't understand, Yankovic seems removed from the culture he's commenting upon, picking up on cues he's heard on Clear Channel radio and read in Entertainment Weekly without exploring the music much itself. For instance, "Angry White Boy Polka," his latest installment in his series of polka parody melodies, is undone by his lack of understanding of the subject, in particular how the White Stripes, the Strokes, and the Hives — none of whom are angry in the slightest — are the polar opposite of Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, and Papa Roach, and their nu-metal ilk (for that matter, Kid Rock is many things, but he ain't angry). Then, there's his parody of Eminem's "Lose Yourself," for which Marshall Mathers refused to let Alfred Matthew Yankovic make a video — an event that gave Poodle Hat a lot of press upon its spring 2003 release. It was the first time an artist denied Al the permission to make a video and all the press portrayed it as another time that Mr. Mathers turned stone-cold humorless in the face of a silly joke (it was Triumph the Comic Insult Dog at the VMAs revisited); after hearing Yankovic's "Couch Potato," it's hard not to sympathize with Em, since unlike his other big pop hit parodies, this has nothing to do with the song. Weird Al doesn't pick up on the theme of the song, or the sound of it, or the lyrics to create a parody, he simply picks television at random, as if jokes about American Idol and Survivor will guarantee laughs and airplay. On top of the randomness of the subject, the jokes are simply bad, culminating in a "My Tivo Thinks I'm Gay" joke ripped off from Mike Binder's unspeakably awful HBO series Mind of the Married Man, where it was done better (and if Mike Binder does a joke better than you, you're slipping; besides, anybody who has had Tivo for any length of time knows that no matter what you do, it will record Law & Order). <br>And so Poodle Hat goes, as it stumbles over the obviousness and awfulness of its parodies, which have also veered into a new level of stomach-churning vulgarity, whether it's the stinking rubbish on "Trash Day" (Nelly's "Hott in Herre") or the Avril Lavigne parody "A Complicated Song," where the chorus becomes: "Why did you have to make me so constipated?" Only one other song parody remains, and it's "Ode to a Superhero," which is Billy Joel's "Piano Man" reconfigured for Spider-Man. Weird Al also stumbles on the originals, particularly because many of them sound and feel like parodies: "Party at the Leper Colony" rides the Willie & the Hand Jive shuffle beat, while "Wanna B Ur Lovr" is a slow-funk jam that sounds like a parody of Beck parodying Prince and "Bob" is about, well, Bob Dylan, styled like "Subterranean Homesick Blues," with Al singing in a nasal whine "funny," cryptic lines like "May a moody baby doom a yam?," all of which are revealed to be palindromes! Hardy har har. Yankovic redeems himself somewhat on the three remaining songs, with "Hardware Store" and its complicated, intricate vocal arrangement the most musically interesting piece here, rivalled by "Why Does This Always Happen to Me?," a sensitive piano pop tune with a good send-up of narcissistic lyrics and nice, layered vocal harmonies; the latter benefits considerably from the presence of Ben Folds on piano, not in the least because this sounds exactly like a Ben Folds song. Then, the album ends with "Genius in France," a multi-part epic that's equal parts Utopia-era Todd Rundgren, Frank Zappa, and They Might Be Giants; it certainly has its irritating moments, including the stodgy song-ending Grey Poupon aside, but it's the most ambitious and weirdest thing here, which counts for a lot ending with a Grey Poupon joke. It works because, at his best, Weird Al is a very good musician with some clever ideas and a skilled band, so music that showcases that is best for him — it helps put his corny jokes across. Here, nothing works, and he sounds old and out of step because of it. — Stephen Thomas Erlewine<br>
<br><br>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305161407&sql=Aag47gjir46ic<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:11 am 

Oh and!<br><br>Weolcome to the forum!<br><br> ;D<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:23 am 

welcome, dear! another dutchman/girl with a good taste of artificial flavors?<br>enjoy!<br>wowie zowie!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:10 am 

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think he missed the point. Anyway, today, I'm going to take my neice and nephew to see Weird Al in San Luis Obispo. Can't wait!!!! ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:37 am 

yes, I go to allmusic.com quite often.  And I know that Stephen Thomas Erlewine misses the point on a lot of times.  On one album review he said that the album was really great, but that it gets tiring since the band seems more concerned about pleasing themselve than the audience, though he says later on this album will ineviably be one of the best albums of 2002. hmmmmm, maybe Zappa was only thinking of himself when he wrote We're Only in it for the Money.  ::)<br><br>IT was Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age, where he likes to compare them to White Stripes, making the analogy QotSA is to King Crimson :: White Stripes is to the Rolling Stones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:58 am 

[quote author=radagast link=board=legends;num=1056276307;start=0#5 date=06/22/03 at 10:37:55]yes, I go to allmusic.com quite often.  And I know that Stephen Thomas Erlewine misses the point on a lot of times.  On one album review he said that the album was really great, but that it gets tiring since the band seems more concerned about pleasing themselve than the audience, though he says later on this album will ineviably be one of the best albums of 2002. hmmmmm, maybe Zappa was only thinking of himself when he wrote We're Only in it for the Money.   ::)<br><br>IT was Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age, where he likes to compare them to White Stripes, making the analogy QotSA is to King Crimson :: White Stripes is to the Rolling Stones. [/quote]<br><br>FInally! SOmeone else that knows about allmusic.com!<br><br>But, Frank didn't really thinked of himself when he wrote We're only it for the money. Actually, the title itself says that it was the only commercial album ever released from Zappa. Atleast I saw it somewhere.<br><br>But, but, it is Zappa's masterpiece. Thats an undeniable fact. ::)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:20 pm 

Hey all!! Just got back from Weird Al concert in San Luis Obispo and boy are my arms tired...always wanted to say that. Anyway, had a GREAT time!!!! :) :) :) :) ;D ;D He puts on one hell of a show! Lots of energy and very tight--not a single moment lost in useless stage patter, etc.--just on to the next tune. Did'nt do Genius In France, but I suspected as much, mostly the hits. Waited by his bus with a few other Weird (that ain't the word! :o) Al fanatics to get his pic and possibly an autograph, but no go. Seems his wife had a baby recently and he wanted to get home to them---as a public service to those not paying attention...WEIRD AL PROCREATES????!!!! AND HE'S MARRIED???!!??<br><br>There. Anyhoo, he came out and expressed his apologies for running along. Oh well, at least I got some photos--gotta wait to see if they turned out.....Great show--see him if you get the chance!! :) ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:36 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=legends;num=1056276307;start=0#7 date=06/23/03 at 01:20:34]Hey all!! Just got back from Weird Al concert in San Luis Obispo and boy are my arms tired...always wanted to say that. Anyway, had a GREAT time!!!! :) :) :) :) ;D ;D He puts on one hell of a show! Lots of energy and very tight--not a single moment lost in useless stage patter, etc.--just on to the next tune. Did'nt do Genius In France, but I suspected as much, mostly the hits. Waited by his bus with a few other Weird (that ain't the word! :o) Al fanatics to get his pic and possibly an autograph, but no go. Seems his wife had a baby recently and he wanted to get home to them---as a public service to those not paying attention...WEIRD AL PROCREATES????!!!! AND HE'S MARRIED???!!??<br><br>There. Anyhoo, he came out and expressed his apologies for running along. Oh well, at least I got some photos--gotta wait to see if they turned out.....Great show--see him if you get the chance!! :) ;D[/quote]<br><br>One thing, good that you liked his show. I have never been to any of them.<br><br>Another thing, Genius in France is like the Musique Concrete tracks Frank Zappa did. Merely impossible to preform live.<br><br>Anyway, I'm looking for hes new album. GOnna be lovely to hear Genius in France. ;D<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:53 am 

oh, I know fully well Zappa's intent on We're On;y in it fore the Money.  But someone like Stephen Thomas Erlewine may not get the point of it.<br><br>I recently downloaded Genius In France. SOMe parts sound really, a lot, wow I can't believe it's not Frank! It's a great way to end his album. I'm going to try to see Weird Al in Westbury out on Long Island. <br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:29 am 

EEN HEEL HARTELIJK WELKOM EN VEEL PLEZIER !!!<br><br>VRIENDELIJKE GROET VAN EEN MEDELANDER  ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:00 pm 

If you actually purchase the Weird Al cd, you should check out the "home movies" section on your computer.  There's another FZ (well, Captain Beefheart/FZ) reference there.<br><br>I didn't know he was such a fan. <br><br>Interesting FZ side-note, Lisa Popeil (from YCDTOSA V.6) sings on "Hardware Store" (my favorite song on the album).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:14 am 

I recall Dweezil guesting on Doctor Demento's syndicated radio show some many years back, and playing, alongside FZ's music and his own, Weird Al's "Another One Rides the Bus."  FZ always had an eye and ear for eccentric talent: one of his opening acts in the early 70s(I hear) was Tom Waits--who was briefly managed by Herb Cohen... Dedman Telnotalz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:51 am 

Actually, "weird al" have merely taken FZ's music and made it more....Whimsical in Genius in France.<br><br>Me myself, I don't think it sounds so much of FZ :P, it's more "weird al" style than FZ.<br><br>No really! :o<br><br>I'm not kidding, I think so!! ::)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:28 pm 

Just purchased Poodle Hat yesterday--one copy for me, one copy for my nephew's 17th birthday--as a matter of fact, I was so taken by his concert of a week back, I bought volumes I and II of his greatest hits cd's.Might even buy Running With Scissors--has the infamous Amish Paradise parody. The enhanced cd with home movies is hilarious!!!!! Two other ways you can see Al is a fan is by going to weirdal.com--under each different menu heading is a different pose of Al--under the heading "catalog", is a picture that looks like a dead ringer for Frank's cover photo for Jazz From Hell. There is a photo gallery, and after scrolling waaaay down, a pic titled, "Bela, Bo (I think) and Dad". It's a few pics of Al, his wife. and their pets. One caption says, "You want some more, well, here's some more." Sound familiar?  ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:59 am 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=legends;num=1056276307;start=15#15 date=07/01/03 at 02:28:35]Just purchased Poodle Hat yesterday--one copy for me, one copy for my nephew's 17th birthday--as a matter of fact, I was so taken by his concert of a week back, I bought volumes I and II of his greatest hits cd's.Might even buy Running With Scissors--has the infamous Amish Paradise parody. The enhanced cd with home movies is hilarious!!!!! Two other ways you can see Al is a fan is by going to weirdal.com--under each different menu heading is a different pose of Al--under the heading "catalog", is a picture that looks like a dead ringer for Frank's cover photo for Jazz From Hell. There is a photo gallery, and after scrolling waaaay down, a pic titled, "Bela, Bo (I think) and Dad". It's a few pics of Al, his wife. and their pets. One caption says, "You want some more, well, here's some more." Sound familiar?  ;D[/quote]<br><br>If you are going to buy the Running with scissors album, you wont get any Amish paradise.<br><br>It exists on the Bad hair day album, since he is parodiating the artist Coolio.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:03 pm 

Woops! So right you are, man! No wonder you're a doctor....... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:46 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=legends;num=1056276307;start=15#17 date=07/02/03 at 00:03:48]Woops! So right you are, man! No wonder you're a doctor....... ;)[/quote]<br><br>He he, no doubt maybe ;D<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:50 am 

I got some parody High-lights from "wierd al" yankovic career:<br><br><br>Smells like Nirvana<br><br>Like a surgeon<br><br>Fat<br><br>Eat it<br><br>Dare to be stupid<br><br>I lost on jeopardy<br><br>I can't watch this<br><br>Taco grande<br><br><br>[glow=yellow,2,300]NOTE:[/glow]Dare to be stupid is an original made by "Weird al" himself.<br><br>The best albums to buy are:<br><br>Off the deep end<br><br>In 3-D<br><br>Even worse<br><br>Also, if it is possible, buy the "best of" collection<br><br>[glow=green,2,300]Greatest hits[/glow]<br><br>Even if the "Greatest hits" compilation only cover the first part of his career.<br><br>Just wanted to tip some of you guys of since some here like "Weird al". Myself, I like the one he was before, the he was good but has dropped nowdays. Too sad to say.<br><br>Anyway, enjoy my little list.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>