Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:30 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=15#20 date=06/27/03 at 13:07:38]<br><br>Cool call!  <br>Do you like The Move?  I think alot of the Jam is very influenced by The Move.[/quote]<br><br>Haven't heard alot of The Move to be honest....think The Jam ere superb though when you consider the age of Paul Weller when he was writing all that stuff!! Done some good solo stuff too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:58 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=30#30 date=06/27/03 at 14:38:12]<br><br>Check out the cut "Beautiful Daughter".  You'll just sit there and go "so THAT'S where the Jam got that sound from!"  Same way that Queen got their vocal sound from "Open Up Said the World at the Door".  Or so it sounds anyway.   ;)  There's alot of good Move though.  <br>For The Jam, Sound Affects has always been my favorite, although there are many good ones.[/quote]<br><br>Sound Affects & All Mod Cons my two faves. Will have a little look for some of The Move's stuff from our friends at Kazaa (Lite of course) as a taster to a possible future purchase. <br>Also remember seeing a really old ELO video (early 70's one) on VH1 a while ago and the riff was the same as Weller used on "Sunflower".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:03 pm 

Cat Stevens, Father and Son VS. Flaming Lips, Fight Test<br><br>-Friday June 27, 2003 @ 01:00 PM<br>By: ChartAttack.com Staff<br><br>According to an article published earlier this month in the U.K. paper The Herald, Flaming Lips singer Wayne Coyne told a German website that he himself could see the similarities between the two songs. "I don't really know the song as well, but I do see now that it definitely has got some resemblance with the Cat Stevens' song. It feels like a sort of re-edition of the sort of story-telling he did." <br><br>Luckily, the dispute between Stevens and the Lips didn't end up becoming a huge legal battle. According to the official Yusuf Islam website, the two parties came to a reasonable agreement.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:04 am 

keith emerson stole the opening to a bill evans song from this album & used it in a solo on pictures at an exhibition...pure theft of the entire intro theme

also, some guitarist [rick derringer's solo in free ride maybe?] stole a sugar cane harris riff from gumbo variations almost note for note....can't think of who it was

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:45 am 

Songs that don't sound the same unles attempted by me on the guitar :<br>Pink Floyd "Money" / FZ "Bamboozled by love". Each riff turns into the other one!<br>A sort of Dark Side of the Moon Unit.  ;D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:08 am 

[quote author=Baby Snake link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=30#34 date=06/28/03 at 10:45:06]Songs that don't sound the same unles attempted by me on the guitar :<br>Pink Floyd "Money" / FZ "Bamboozled by love". Each riff turns into the other one!<br>A sort of Dark Side of the Moon Unit.  ;D[/quote]<br> ;D Good one! I can hear exactly what you mean.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:23 am 

If you play the intro of Stairway to Heaven -and everybody who laid hands on the guitar one time or another knows how to play it- fast enough and repeat every chord three times, it sounds like the guitar solo in the middle of -I think it was- The Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden. That's one thing I realized about 15 years ago when I was playing the damned thing. I have neither tried the riff nor played the guitar for a looong time, so I'd be glad if someone would try it out and see if it works.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:33 pm 

upon happenin to give this further consideration after a two day sabattical i declare a revolutionary new angle regarding the history of the evolution of popular music , that is this : <br><br>punk ripped off frank , and frank invented punk, or the basis of it in one fell swoop in that guitary riff punky bit in CHEEPNIS.<br><br>well , thats my theory anyway. and not surprising anyway as the guy had enough ideas in any one song to sustain many many successful music carrears. <br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:32 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=30#33 date=06/28/03 at 03:04:47]keith emerson stole the opening to a bill evans song from the album Image<br>& used it in a solo on pictures at an exhibition...pure theft of the entire intro theme<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Good one, slime...I never knew that...ELP was also taken to task for ripping off Janacek's "Sinfonietta" on the song Knife Edge from their first album...on recent editions of the CD he is now given credit...<br><br>Can you give me the approximate time on Pictures that the Evans solo occurs?<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:00 pm 

sleeping_in_a_jar wrote:
Can you give me the approximate time on Pictures that the Evans solo occurs?

the organ solo on blues variation mid-track, quiet organ solo about 1:48 into the track...same as the evans/jim hall intro on ?interplay? from the double lp peace piece & other pieces

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:43 am 

and theres them oasis guys who also ripp the fab 4 - in almost every song of theirs. i once listend ( and it was only once ) to one of their lps and in every song i could hear a familiar / half remembers beetles tune. theys just ripped great chord progressions , alterd the timimg and words a bit , and bingo - a hit - any fool could do that.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:55 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=30#35 date=06/28/03 at 11:08:49]<br> ;D Good one! I can hear exactly what you mean.[/quote]me too... ;D<br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:22 pm 

keep it greasy & keep it greasey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:23 pm 

MIZZU wrote:
[quote author=Lets_Be_Fraynk link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=0#5 date=06/26/03 at 13:33:42]I hear Zeppelin had to pay out a lot to old blues artists.<br><br>"The Song Remains the Same" - get it?  ;D
<br><br>Led Zeppelin plays a lot of Willie Dixon's blues as covers, mainly in their first album...that's not stealing.<br>[/quote]

The lemon song on Led zeppelin II is a direct rip from willie dixon and they put their own fucking names as composers. and alot of their other stuff is lifted from the old blues guys without citing them. that's rock and roll for ya though! it's the folk process steal or be stolen from.

Strange brew by the cream is a direct musical lift from Albert king.
Alot of musicians also copy other people's whole style of singing or playing. personally i think Tom waits royally ripped off beefheart's schtick.
I could think of alot more people who try to sing just like someone else. that haitian singer wyclef jean from the fugees does this pseudo bob marley style whining. alot of reggae and blues and rock "artists" totally rip each other off. not that it doesn't happen in folk, jazz etc...

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:48 pm 

Is it just me or does the trumpet section of Madness's Our House sound juuust like those in Camarillo Brillo?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:42 am 

muziko wrote:
MIZZU wrote:
[quote author=Lets_Be_Fraynk link=board=legends;num=1056580680;start=0#5 date=06/26/03 at 13:33:42]I hear Zeppelin had to pay out a lot to old blues artists.<br><br>"The Song Remains the Same" - get it?  ;D
<br><br>Led Zeppelin plays a lot of Willie Dixon's blues as covers, mainly in their first album...that's not stealing.<br>

The lemon song on Led zeppelin II is a direct rip from willie dixon and they put their own fucking names as composers. and alot of their other stuff is lifted from the old blues guys without citing them. that's rock and roll for ya though! it's the folk process steal or be stolen from.

Alot of musicians also copy other people's whole style of singing or playing. personally i think Tom waits royally ripped off beefheart's schtick.
I could think of alot more people who try to sing just like someone else. that haitian singer wyclef jean from the fugees does this pseudo bob marley style whining. alot of reggae and blues and rock "artists" totally rip each other off. not that it doesn't happen in folk, jazz etc...[/quote]very good point, Dan Akroyd Did a show on this subject on House of blues radio, some of these old blues guy did get recognition from this, Zep did the clarksdale lp, for this reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:43 am 

I fucked that quote , ooops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:21 am 

Triumph's "Rock and Roll Machine" is a total ripoff of Deep Purple's "Speed King". Also their "American Girls" sounds a lot like "School's Out".. The irony is I was into Triumph before either of the latter bands, so I thought they were really hot shit. I should have known...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:04 am 

feetlightup wrote:
"I should have known..."

Ripping off the Beatles, eh Feets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:35 am 

just plain doug wrote:
feetlightup wrote:
"I should have known..."

Ripping off the Beatles, eh Feets?

Let it be, doug. Try to see it my way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
muziko wrote:
MIZZU wrote:
<br><br>Led Zeppelin plays a lot of Willie Dixon's blues as covers, mainly in their first album...that's not stealing.<br>

I could think of alot more people who try to sing just like someone else. that haitian singer wyclef jean from the fugees does this pseudo bob marley style whining. alot of reggae and blues and rock "artists" totally rip each other off. not that it doesn't happen in folk, jazz etc... very good point, Dan Akroyd Did a show on this subject on House of blues radio, some of these old blues guy did get recognition from this, Zep did the clarksdale lp, for this reason.

You didn't fuck up... it's an old thread of the pre-06 Forum Crash. Back then this forum used YaBB, not PHPBB2.
YaBB put a link to the quoted message right above the quote text box if you clicked on "quote". phpBB2 doesn't do that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next