Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 pm 

John Cage's 4'33". Fucking everyone rips that one off.

In fact, I am right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:08 am 

More than a woman/Bee Gees

Rocky 1/theme track.

I will survive/Gloria Gaynor
listen and the violins sound all the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:10 am 
Banned

Batchain1001 wrote:
Isaac wrote:
sir_galoot wrote:
Then there is the Vanilla Ice song 'Ice Ice Baby' that has the same music at the beginning, as the Queen/Bowie song 'Under Pressure' Mr. Ice has admitted that his song does sound similar, but his version has one extra note.

Honestly, I would much rather listen to Vanilla Ice than Eminem. That is one annoying motherfucker!
Well, Mr. Mathers got fat (No, not "phat"!) so he's not being invested in and backed by promotors and recording company execs and investors anymore so you won't see that stupid twat around "shocking" (LOL!) us now.

Maybe he'll return to his mama (Reconciled after she sued him.), he could go unnoticed in such a place.

But Isaac, just how much of "Vanilla Ass-Cum" could you really endure??? :shock:

(Hey, Elton! Does Eminenima spit or swallow? :mrgreen: )

--Bat :roll:

Rob Van Winkle was signed to a major label and turned into a bullshit pop star before he ever got a chance to develop his music and do the things that he actually wanted to do. His manager exploited him, put out a fake biography in his name, and forced him to wear clothes and say and do things that forced him into drug addiction. When he almost died, he told his manager to fuck off and left his label. Now he's off drugs and making music independently and he's gotten much better, from my perspective. (This would depend on whether or not you like the genres of music.) His first couple of indie releases were a little more rock/metal oriented.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:14 am 

muziko wrote:
all of claypool's music sounds the same. he has about 3 styles he plays over and over and over. i still think he's original i just think he could stand to expand his rhythmic vocabulary.

:? @ this nonsense.

In regards to "Running The Gauntlet" and "Over The Falls", I've actually always thought that Highball With The Devil contains alot of riffs that sound embryonic and were fleshed out further on The Brown Album. "George E. Porge" and "Fisticuffs" for example.

As for the thread topic, how about "Tales of Brave Ulysses" and "White Room"? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:10 pm 

I find him extremely repetitious. boom chuck boom chuck. i think he's very creative. I just can't really listen to him for more than about a song. He plays some wacked out noise up the neck on his bass and everyone's like wow what a genius. i think he's totally right on I just don't feel like he's really tapped into a anything that will stand the test of time. i would really like him to. he has a few winning tunes. Stuff that is memorable like tommy the cat, My name is Mud, shake hands with beef. that is funny. let's face it he just stepped out of an r. crumb cartoon. I think that is great and I am thrilled to see him come up with some really high quality work. If he would do some thing a little more interesting I would be more happy. he is another artist who is trying really hard to be tom waits. who is trying really hard to be Captain beefheart who was trying to be lord buckley who was trying to be funny. To be fair i am not totally versed in his catalog but from what i've heard it all sounds pretty much the same. Primus rocks i'll give them that. les is funny it's true. I think his video work is great. It's just not what i want to listen to. so i won't.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:48 pm 

muziko wrote:
To be fair i am not totally versed in his catalog

This is very apparent. I dunno who you're explaining yourself to - go on disliking the guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:15 am 

r_a_Z_Z wrote:
muziko wrote:
To be fair i am not totally versed in his catalog

This is very apparent. I dunno who you're explaining yourself to - go on disliking the guy.

I don't dislike him he seems like a decent guy and musician. I just find any primus or claypool related music very repetitious. Lot's of energy but little in the way of composition. i'm happy for the dude. I saw him on a fly fishing program once. if people get off on his music that's cool with me. I just think it takes more than hired soloists and grooving to silly lyrics to make lasting music. it is what it is. It's in the moment and it has ferocious energy. This is just my way of giving some honest feedback rather than heaping blind praise on him. Artists don't need that. they need more challenge. i find his video work some of the most enjoyable stuff out there in that realm. there's room for it all and he's shown that with hard work and a vision you can do whatever you want to. I do find him totally intrigueing but i always feel let down after a few listens like, that's it? I even bought a 3 hour dvd of all of his various projects. boom chuck boom chuck for 3 hours with buckethead doing his thing. change it up and it won't be so apparent that you're milking a funk groove for 3 hours.

I do think he's an heir to zappaesque "style' and worth discussing. if you can tell me some of his recordings that are interesting please do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:57 am 

With Primus, earlier is better. Get Frizzle Fry and Seas of Cheese.
It took me weeks to get into Primus, perhaps even months. I couldn't bare his nasal vocals well, but I came to love it.

I don't think Primus is very Zappa. Help I'm A Rock (the song) is very Primus in repetitiveness. It's as loop-de-loop as the worst Primus songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-SLr1NiVl0
I'm not sure of the quality of this rendition, but it's my favourite Primus-song! The guitar rawks!

Post subject: primus sucks!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:19 pm 

I've been watching some of of these primus videos. i admit i love what they do. I just wish they would learn a new chord sequence or something. 1 and 2 chord jams with quiet to loud, quiet to loud, slow to fast, fast to slow.. What they do, they got down. It's their own thing it's a style, it just sounds the same all the time. even playing in 10/8 and tricky little things here and there. It just sounds monochromatic, I think claypool is hilarious! his songs are funny as shit! That's what i mean about being related to zappa in a way. it's story telling over grooves. It's a freak show. that drummer works so hard but he's just not getting interesting chord changes over all that slamming to do him justice. I just don't get off on that one chord thing for so long. It's aparty But it also has this downer, depressing quality to me. I don't feel uplifted by it I feel like i'm being steamrolled into wagon ruts. I admire the group and les Claypool is one of most talented guys out there. They have the energy and the talent I just want them to take it over the top harmonically! I like the humor and energy. They've done well. They've milked that drummer and those bluesy guitar solos to death. It doesn't feel quite finished or resolved. Maybe that is the formula to keep you wanting more. It just needs a few more "deceptive" cadences. to the next level. the cartoonish videos ROCK! It's punk R. Crumb that's all i can say. I'll shut up now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:22 pm 

And then of course there's Madonna's Frozen who has stolen a melody from Salvatore Acquiviva's Ma vie fout le camp.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:26 pm 

Isaac wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Isaac wrote:
sir_galoot wrote:
Then there is the Vanilla Ice song 'Ice Ice Baby' that has the same music at the beginning, as the Queen/Bowie song 'Under Pressure' Mr. Ice has admitted that his song does sound similar, but his version has one extra note.

Honestly, I would much rather listen to Vanilla Ice than Eminem. That is one annoying motherfucker!
Well, Mr. Mathers got fat (No, not "phat"!) so he's not being invested in and backed by promotors and recording company execs and investors anymore so you won't see that stupid twat around "shocking" (LOL!) us now.

Maybe he'll return to his mama (Reconciled after she sued him.), he could go unnoticed in such a place.

But Isaac, just how much of "Vanilla Ass-Cum" could you really endure??? :shock:

(Hey, Elton! Does Eminenima spit or swallow? :mrgreen: )

Rob Van Winkle was signed to a major label and turned into a bullshit pop star before he ever got a chance to develop his music and do the things that he actually wanted to do. His manager exploited him, put out a fake biography in his name, and forced him to wear clothes and say and do things that forced him into drug addiction. When he almost died, he told his manager to fuck off and left his label. Now he's off drugs and making music independently and he's gotten much better, from my perspective. (This would depend on whether or not you like the genres of music.) His first couple of indie releases were a little more rock/metal oriented.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]
By that time I'd written him off as not only a bullshitter who'd been exposed - not knowing that the sham wasn't his own idea - but just one step above a "Milli-Vanilli" scam and I've habitually shrugged off following almost anything that turned up in contemporary music since I was about 13 or 14, just peering in from time to time. I readily confess to being a not only a snob but a malcontent! There's no doubt that I've missed out on things that have somehow escaped the industrial cookie-cutter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 pm 

BBP wrote:
With Primus, earlier is better. Get Frizzle Fry and Seas of Cheese.
It took me weeks to get into Primus, perhaps even months. I couldn't bare his nasal vocals well, but I came to love it.

I don't think Primus is very Zappa. Help I'm A Rock (the song) is very Primus in repetitiveness. It's as loop-de-loop as the worst Primus songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-SLr1NiVl0
I'm not sure of the quality of this rendition, but it's my favourite Primus-song! The guitar rawks!
And that's right where we agree, Bonny: Primus' early stuff was the best but then the same-old, same-old circularity kicked in and was a real let-down. I cut off where "Rhinoplasty" and "Videoplasty" were released.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:52 pm 

The guitar solo in "Sunshine of Your Love" is the melody from the old song "Blue Moon". Sunshine/Moon.. get it? Oh the dichotomy! Go Eric Crapped-on, go!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 am 

I loved Rhinoplasty and Videoplasty, actually... it's Antipop I'm upset about. What were they thinking?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 am 

Jimmy Page's guitar line behind the verses in Led Zeppelin's "Dancing Days" became the main theme to Soft Cell's "Sex Dwarf" and then got taken up as the chorus riff for Queensryche's "Jet City Woman".

I wish I didn't know that. Butt eye dew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:03 am 

The guitar in Jerry Garcia's "Sugaree" and in Rod Stewart's "Tonights the Night"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:33 am 

Neil Young's "Like A Hurricane" and Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me To The Moon" (Sinatra was not the writer, I forget or just don't know who that was.) share a lot of notational similarities, the opening notes in "Like A Hurricane" are unabashedly the same as "Fly Me To The Moon" and Young couldn't possibly have been unaware of it.

--Bat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:46 am 

Thirteen wrote:
Jimmy Page's guitar line behind the verses in Led Zeppelin's "Dancing Days" became the main theme to Soft Cell's "Sex Dwarf" and then got taken up as the chorus riff for Queensryche's "Jet City Woman".

I wish I didn't know that. Butt eye dew
And it seems extremely unwise to rip off Led Zeppelin of all bands because of how frequently their songs have been shown to be blatant rip--offs of other people's songs that they almost became the most celebrated looters of other people's tunes!

--Bat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:38 pm 

The opening of Beefheart's Electricity and the traditional (I think) Wedding Dress song

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:35 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
... the opening notes in "Like A Hurricane" are unabashedly the same as "Fly Me To The Moon" and Young couldn't possibly have been unaware of it.

Neil Young himself has admitted to borrowing many of his tunes consciously. I'm just reading Shakey, his biography, at the moment and it's very illuminating.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:11 pm 

Every other Metallica song sounds like the other one. (they have 7 songs total my son concluded)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 pm 

Ditto Nirvana, except they've only got 2.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:57 am 

BBP wrote:
I loved Rhinoplasty and Videoplasty, actually... it's Antipop I'm upset about. What were they thinking?

I love Antipop!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:14 pm 

so do I, but I don't really like Rhinoplasty, but, actually, I think I got bored with listening to Primus, probably listened to their records too much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:11 am 

"Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal."

--Igor Stravinsky

--Bat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next