Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dreams
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:12 am 

for around four years now frank zappa has been periodically appearing in my dreams advising me on the perils of drugs and why i should abstain from using them. Citing such dictums as "they'll ruin your head". Can anyone please explain this unparalleled phenomena.  OH and he has his hair tied back in a pony tail with a toga on while perambulating towards a bright light. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solipsism Soundcloud
Solipsism Shitface

Post subject: Re: Dreams
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:55 am 

hm.

last night i dreamt that bill cosby died.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:54 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:23 am 

don't know what that is, bravios.
wanna talk about it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:39 am 

you are on the inter web right now so enter the info you see in the post ,into your favorite search engine and you will have all you need.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 am 

Well amg doesn't have a review for that one other than it being their 2nd album from 1972 (2 stars), so I'll go by the review for their first album.

Although Dreams is a legendary pioneer jazz-rock group that included such young players as trumpeter Randy Brecker, guitarist John Abercrombie, drummer Billy Cobham and the 19-year old tenor Michael Brecker, its music has dated very badly. This CD reissue finds solos being de-emphasized in favor of erratic and often unlistenable vocals. While trombonist Barry Rogers had a feeling for jazz, the remainder of the group (singer Edward Vernon, keyboardist-guitarist-vocalist Jeff Kent and bassist-vocalist Doug Lubahn) weighs down the recording with mundane pop sensibilities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 am 

The first album is best for me. Surprised is you haven't heard it. One of cobhams best solos is on it plus very good horn work. I completely disagree with that review but so what. If you haven't heard Dreams get it. brecker brothers is also great as well as All the Steve Khan albums, check out Blue man.

Starting as a trio, singer Edward Vernon, keyboardist/guitarist/vocalist Jeff Kent and bassist Doug Lubahn soon jumped onto the bandwagon with the two Breckers, guitarist John Abercrombie and soon-to-be-Mahavishnu Orchestra drummer Billy Cobham, forming the horn-driven group Dreams, which released a critically well-received if not commercially successful self-titled debut on Columbia in 1970.

While Dreams didn't fare particularly well, Columbia wasn't ready to give up on the group yet, and so with prominent soul guitarist Steve Cropper, of Booker T. and the MGs fame, brought in to produce, a significantly revamped Dreams released Imagine My Surprise in 1972; imagine their surprise when Kent and Lubahn found themselves out, with bassist Will Lee and keyboardist Don Grolnick in, alongside trombonist Barry Rogers, and guitarist Bob Suttmann replacing the departed Abercrombie. It may have been three years away from the release of The Brecker Brothers' 1975 Arista debut, The Brecker Bros., but the group was largely already in place—Randy and Michael Brecker, Grolnick, Mann and Lee. Only a couple more recruits were necessary: young alto saxophonist David Sanborn, who was cutting his teeth with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Muddy Waters and James Cotton; drummer Harvey Mason, soon to be fresh out of keyboardist Herbie Hancock's more funk-driven Headhunters; and percussionist Ralph MacDonald. a serious session ace, having appeared on records ranging from Nana Mouskouri and Shirley Scott to Laura Nyro and Roberta Flack.

[The Brecker Brothers—The Complete Arista Albums Collection]

Dreams may have been a pop band and The Brecker Brothers unmistakably a jazz group, but there were plenty of connecting threads between the two. Dreams separated itself from most other horn-led groups of the time by emphasizing spontaneity rather than the rigorous horn charts of most other bands. Spontaneous arrangements were de rigueur, even as the group focused largely on song form. And working with Cropper on Imagine My Surprise had a longer-lasting influence on the two Breckers—and not just them. When The Brecker Brothers launched with its self-titled 1975 debut on Arista, there was no mistaking that it was, indeed, a jazz band, but one with an emphasis on soul and funk rather than rock and roll—the flagship for an unmistakably New York sound known as "uptown."

It was a sound which became even more prominent when artists like Sanborn and guitarist Steve Khan began releasing their own record—in the case of Kahn—by that time a member of The Brecker Brothers—going so far as to recruit the group almost en masse for his own 1977 Columbia debut, Tightrope and two follow-ups, The Blue Man (Columbia, 1978) and Arrows (Columbia, 1979), but flipping the Breckers' modus operandi to place his guitar front and center.

Michael Brecker finally lets himself be seriously heard on the intro to the ambitious “Dream Suite” when he explores some spiraling wild scales and runs on his own, before a Soul-Funk theme sets in driven by Cobham restless hi-hat steady punch and stylistic beat ,the wah rhythm guitar the horns and Vernon creating a maelstrom that soon engulfs the entire band in a controlled chaos which morphs into a soulful theme sensually undulating with crispy horn accents ; a floating and chiming interlude leads to a fierce instrumental where Michael takes off once more until Cobham starts a conversation with his sax; the rising levels of excitement put guitar, trumpet and trombone on a controlled conversation that at a certain point seems to degenerate with everyone going quietly into separate ways; That’s when Cobham steps in with a storming solo that reveals the qualities that would soon made him be invited by McLaughlin; it functions as a bridge to the final “New York” an infectious Funky Jazzer with subtle Caribbean influences where they unleash a mighty horn power equivalent to that of a Big Band, which feeds on alternating waves of intensity and calm duly nourished by drum rolls , overdriven guitar fill-ins and organ washes and stimulated by blistering horn work by the Brothers, all in all, susceptible of leaving the listener breathless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:14 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:58 am 

I think Dreams at the time suffered from being compared to and sometimes being called a CTA and/or BS&T riff-offs.

I like both albums A LOT!! Too bad Columbia never did Quad releases of these 2 Dreams albums.

I am also a huge fan of both CTA (up to album VII) and BS&T. Both bands albums in QUADRAPHONIC are goddamn amazing!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:37 pm 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
for around four years now frank zappa has been periodically appearing in my dreams advising me on the perils of drugs and why i should abstain from using them. Citing such dictums as "they'll ruin your head". ....

I would recommend accepting the recommendation and then even saying ... thank you after it!

As for the album itself, unless this was written in gest, I doubt that it would influence you as much as you think otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:03 am 

Dreams are the mind's way of reconciling the past with the future. Examine almost any dream, and there will be some element of the recent past, which may go to explain "why" you had the dream.

Recurring dreams are indicative of an unresolved issue. If you are doing drugs and Frank keeps telling you not to, then the message your subconscious is trying to convey might be quite obvious...someone you respect is giving you advice, maybe you should take it.

If you are not doing drugs, then there may be something else you are doing that is detrimental to your mental acuity. Dreams are manifestations of our desires...if you know what you want, Frank is telling you why you're not getting it...you're doing something wrong. Think about what you want, and why you don't have it. Get what you want, and the dreams will stop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:29 am 

you have clearly
cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeearly
never heard this:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:56 am 

Dream, among other things, are the way for animals not forgetting their psychedelic and spiritual nature while embodied on a physical plane...

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dmt.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
you have clearly
cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeearly
never heard this:

he's been dreaming since 1994 and nothing of consequence i might add. dead or alive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:01 am 

A couple things about the dream as described set off my curiosity. Frank is saying exactly what one might expect him to say on the subject of drugs. That makes it very real...it means something serious and your subconscious isn't fucking around.

Frank is dressed in white and walking toward the light. Some folks would take this as sign from beyond, that spirits are trying to reach you. I would take it to mean that Frank is solidly elevated, and his word should not be ignored. Walking toward the light equals death, another sign that this is serious.

Frank says "they'll ruin your head". He is saying the obvious, but he is also personifying drugs and calling them "they". There could be people in your life who are a destructive influence, there's one sitting next to me now. Dreams don't always speak in absolutes. "Drugs" could mean anything you are accustomed to.

I would pay close attention to what Frank says. If he is saying different things, your subconscious is struggling to communicate. Isn't your brain just wonderful?

Go forth and never have this dream again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:27 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:41 pm 

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
"Go to sleep. Everything is all right."

I close my eyes, Then I drift away
Into the magic night. I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do.
Then I fall asleep to dream My dreams of you.

In dreams I walk with you. In dreams I talk to you.
In dreams you're mine. All of the time,
we're together in dreams, In dreams.

But just before the dawn, I awake and find you gone.
I can't help it, I can't help it, if I cry.
I remember that you said goodbye.

It's too bad that all these things can only happen in my dreams,
Only in dreams, In beautiful dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:38 am 

If your interested in dreams, you'll love almost any of the Luis Bunuel films. He's got that shit down. Start with Exterminating Angel and go from there.......

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...