Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Norma Jean Bell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:10 am 

I have heard her playing on one boot only, but I think she is a fine player, a beautiful woman, and one of the most overlooked Zappa sidemen (sidewomen? :) ).<br><br>I just found these pics of Tommy Bolin (another one who left too early) and Norma onstage. Since there are not many pics of her around, and these are very nice I decided to link them here.<br>Enjoy<br><br>http://www.tommybolin.org/images/mile02.jpg<br>http://www.tommybolin.org/images/mile14.jpg<br>http://www.tommybolin.org/images/mile19.jpg<br>http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/bolinfan/images/norma01.jpg<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Norma Jean Bell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:23 am 

She only lasted a month in the band. I never heard anything she did. But Frank just forgot about her when she got involved in drugs. I've heard a boot with Bianca on it. She lasted less then a month. Shame zappa didn't have more side women.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

Post subject: re: norma jean bell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:20 pm 

saw her in hamilton/ontario on the '75 tour, w/eddie jobson

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:04 pm 

According to my sources she never made it too hamilton/ontario in '75.  Her last gig was in 30 Nov 1975 <br><br>7 Dec 1975 <br>McMaster University<br>Hamilton<br>Ontario<br>Canada<br> <br>Band:<br>F Zappa - Gtr,vcls<br>R Estrada - Bass,vcls<br>N M Brock - Sax,flute,vcls<br>A Lewis - Kbds<br>T Bozzio - Drums<br>Plus:<br>Eddie Jobson - Violin  <br><br>Tracklist:<br>black napkins<br>advance romance<br>honey, don't you want a man like me?<br>the illinois enema bandit<br>carolina hardcore ecstasy<br>lonely little girl<br>take your clothes off when you dance<br>what's the ugliest part of your body?<br>chunga's revenge<br>zoot allures<br>filthy habits<br>camarillo brillo<br>muffin man<br>i'm the slime<br>san ber'dino  <br><br>How accurate are these sources? http://zappagigs.sytes.net/

Post subject: re: norma jean bell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:52 pm 

francie_brady wrote:
How accurate are these sources?
accurate, listen to the boot of this show; frank introduces her during the intro

n.bell alto saxophone, vocals 11/1/75-12/9/75

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:57 pm 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=legends;num=1060787453;start=0#1 date=08/13/03 at 13:23:16]She only lasted a month in the band. I never heard anything she did. But Frank just forgot about her when she got involved in drugs. I've heard a boot with Bianca on it. She lasted less then a month. Shame zappa didn't have more side women.[/quote]<br><br>Speaking as one, I think it would have been very tough to be in Zappa's band.  I have heard the Bianca got tired of hearing all of the rude comments directed at her from the audience.  I hate to think what would have happened if she had been ugly.<br><br>You know, it amazes me that Ruth Underwood was able to stay with it as long as she did.  But she was just so talented and was there from the Garrick days, a big fan.  I think Frank was very proud of her and probably put more effort into keeping her in the band.  And that's why she was there so long.  Only my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:25 am 

[quote author=sabrina2 link=board=legends;num=1060787453;start=0#5 date=08/22/03 at 01:57:56]....it amazes me that Ruth Underwood was able to stay with it as long as she did.....[/quote]<br><br>i've heard ruth interviewed on the A/E zappa biography & she comes across as a hard-ass don't-fuck-with-me new-yawker who could handle most situations.....also, once she paired up with ian, she probably took less abuse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:37 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1060787453;start=0#6 date=08/25/03 at 08:25:46]<br><br>i've heard ruth interviewed on the A/E zappa biography & she comes across as a hard-ass don't-fuck-with-me new-yawker who could handle most situations.....also, once she paired up with ian, she probably took less abuse[/quote]<br><br>The words to Ruthie Ruthie show how tough she was.