Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: FZ with a beard ?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:38 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=legends;num=1045781091;start=15#23 date=02/22/03 at 02:44:08]<br>I think I figured out the Gold Record. I think it's Dweezil's. He did a guitar solo on Winger's version of Purple Haze in the late eighties. Whaddaya think: did he use the Hendrix guitar on that solo?[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the info. Every time I watch the BBC doc, I see the Atlantic album on the wall and attempt to identify the album cover in vain. Now I can sleep at night.<br><br>http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/winger/debut.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:31 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1045781091;start=15#19 date=02/21/03 at 13:52:41][center]<br>ImageImage<br> ;) I endeavor to be a smart-ass rather than a dumb one.<br><br>Image[/center][/quote]<br><br>Did you write this too ?  ;)<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:11 pm 

fuckin hell jimmie lad cut us some slack will yer ? Me only just learn how to post um pictures !! Me can't speak me own fuckin langu-age !!<br><br> ;D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:08 pm 

I went out of my way to steal a magazine from my dentist's office back in '93 only to have my then husband throw it out during a cleaning frenzy.<br>It was Entertainment Weekly Dec. 17,1993 #201 on page 34.<br><br>Back then I wasn't on line so I hand wrote a letter begging the staff at EW to please let me buy the magazine. They said they had no idea of what issue I meant. I read the tiny print on an other EW mag., found someone's  name who was in charge and he mailed me a copy of that issue. If I can't find it to post here, I'll scan and post it. But I'm on a two week free trial period with that picture postin' place and in 2 weeks the picture dissolves...er somethin'.<br>It's really kind of a sad looking picture-he looks sad I mean.Got the hair back and full beard. I like it, though.<br>Handsome man no matter how ill he was!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:12 pm 

GOD-DAMN Folks!<br>IT wasn't how cool he looked, or whatever facial hair the man had at any time...IT WAS WHAT HE STOOD FOR!!!!<br><br>IS THAT NOT OBVIOUS!? Or am I ranting here drunken for nothing?<br>Did I miss something?<br>JW Foust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:44 pm 

Image<br>I couldn't find this at Entertainment Weekly (all I got was text) so I scanned it. It "goes away" in 2 weeks after my 2 week free trial picture postin' ends.<br>I really love this and the  other picture on this post just because they're genuine looking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:43 am 

hey jimmie, thanks so much for posting that great Playboy interview...I had never read it...it contains some wonderful "relevant quotes"...once again MANY THANKS!<br><br>Oh, and uh jimmie while you're at it would you please be kind enough to also post a "Click Me To View The Miss April 1993 Pictorial" link?<br><br>(not for me, for a friend...he's doin a research paper)<br><br>Thanks!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:02 am 

I think when Frank had a beard he finally looked like a composer. Where as before he looked like a rock star, and with short hair he looked like a policition. He died looking like a serious musican.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:34 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1045781091;start=0#7 date=02/20/03 at 20:01:08]<br>....Das letzte Foto nach dem letzten Interview von Zappa mit den beiden Österreichern Rudi Dolezal (links) und Hannes Rossacher (rechts) entstanden kurz vor seinem Tod in seinem Studio....[/quote]<br><br>easy for you to say....translation?<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:10 am 

[quote author=catpuke link=board=legends;num=1045781091;start=15#20 date=02/21/03 at 16:12:29]<br>I had this picture as my screen saver for the longest time. Why'd he have to die??? Why couldn't some 'no talent' go instead?????!!!!! :'( :'( :'(<br>[/quote]<br><br>My thoughts exactly, why is it that the GOOD folks have to leave us first...???<br>Meanwhile the BAD, like Saddam,Osama and countless of other folks this world could ceratinly do without, just keep on living and living.<br>I guess the BAD use Duracell, because like that stupid bunny, they never stop !!!<br><br>About the picture: it's really weird to look at, if you think about the fact that Frank knew he was going to die within a matter of months...<br>I mean...what will happen to you and what will you do when you know for sure you're going to that big maltshop in the sky...<br>I hope I will never have to go through something like that, because i wouldn't know what to do...<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:16 pm 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=legends;num=1045781091;start=30#38 date=02/26/03 at 08:10:18]<br><br>My thoughts exactly, why is it that the GOOD folks have to leave us first...???<br>Meanwhile the BAD, like Saddam,Osama and countless of other folks this world could ceratinly do without, just keep on living and living.<br>I guess the BAD use Duracell, because like that stupid bunny, they never stop !!!<br><br>About the picture: it's really weird to look at, if you think about the fact that Frank knew he was going to die within a matter of months...<br>I mean...what will happen to you and what will you do when you know for sure you're going to that big maltshop in the sky...<br>I hope I will never have to go through something like that, because i wouldn't know what to do...<br>[/quote]<br>I thought he looked a little pissed! I'd be anyway. Maybe I'm just projecting!!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:53 pm 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=legends;num=1045781091;start=30#42 date=02/27/03 at 16:03:04]<br><br>No, he was pissed. In fact, it was in an under 15 min. interview in May '93 that he told Katie Couric of "The Today Show" that he was, "quite irate that after more than seven years of being diagnosed with various urinary disorders I was told that I had something growing in me and they couldn't cut it out."<br><br>Being told that you have cancer and not long to live will invariably piss anybody off. I don't care to know personally what that anger is like but who has any guarantee, ever? I've been on the other "losing end" of that proposition several times but that still has to be different.<br><br>--Bat<br>[/quote]<br>Recently, I heard prostate cancer is so slow growing that men don't die FROM it but with it. Yet I heard several men have just had surgery for it. Seems the medical world can't agree.<br>I never really got all the medical detail about FZ's health<br>but 52 is too young to die from a supposedly slow growing cancer. He had chronic back pain for years (which is one of the symptoms) and I always wondered if he just blew it off as just back pain getting worse with age. I know he was quoted as saying to complain and complain and then complain somemore (to your doctor). Wondered if the prostate cancer came 1st and then spread or started elsewhere.<br>There's an actress who, after about 3 years and 8 different doctors, was diagnosed with cancer!! She had every hallmark sign of her particular cancer yet the 7 doctors all missed it! You almost have to be your own doctor these days.<br>Didn't mean to get so involved here.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:53 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=legends;num=1045781091;start=45#45 date=02/28/03 at 03:25:59]<br><br>Cat, you don't almost have to be your own doctor today, you do have to be your own doctor today. I've corrected too many medical fuck ups that have 1) almost killed me, 2) almost killed somebody close to me and 3) have killed people close to me.<br>It actually "paid off" that I began digging into medical literature in my early teens and knew what I was seeing when MDs seemed blind to it. There's just so much bullshit out there today that I'm pretty wiped trying to "keep up" with it. At times, "doctors" sound all but insane. Possibly they're meeting with too many *SPAM* reps and not other doctors. "Possibly"? Hah! Yeah, just "possibly"!<br><br>--Bat<br>[/quote]<br>Sorry to hear about your close call. I JUST went through this 2 years ago. A family member almost died  and I kept insisiting to the MD I knew what was wrong (I'm in the medical profession) but he kept saying he didn't think that was the problem. As it turns out, it WAS the fuckin' problem and within the hour after having a proceedure done my family member came around. I just made the bigest fuckin' scene I could at the hospital and threatened the guys life. I could still kill him. It was a BASIC  problem that this guy over fuckin analyzed.<br>Anyways, I will still rely on people who know more than me for medical information but I always tell people INSIST on things with your doctor and that's what I did.<br>As much as I know, I still don't know everything and will NEVER presume to know everything.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:07 pm 

That's the thing that bugs me about finding a doctor...the guys who were complete fuck-ups, who barely passed, who had to repeat multiple classes, the one's that are at the BOTTOM of their class, THEY get to be doctors, too, so long as they eventually finish meeting the requirements. I no longer assume when I go to a new doctor that he's a genius at his craft just because he has "Dr" in front of his name. I could give examples of some real dumb asses. OK, here's one: I dealt with a guy who is a doctor mainly because his parents owned a prominent *SPAM* in their home town, and they pretty much MADE him become a doctor. He clearly has no aptitude for it (I could give examples), and he even told me during a visit that he wished he'd have gone into *SPAM* instead 'cause that's where the real money is. <br>There's no warning on the door alerting you to this when you go see him as a new patient. <br>Wearing a lab coat certainly doesn't bestow magical powers of skill or knowledge, that's for sure. I agree, sometimes the nurses are more professional than the doctors.<br>Side note: I loved the episode of The Simpsons when Dr. Nick performs Homer's heart surgery. You gotta see that one. It covers all of this kind of stuff. He's watching a "how to" video before the surgery, etc.  ;)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:39 pm 

Sorry, guess I kind of ranted there for a minute. At the time, I thought I was following the train of thought.  :-X