Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: NYC and FZ!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:36 am 

I `ve read more than one time that FZ used to say NYC was about the only place in the US where hte people "understood mostly what he was doing". Right from the start. That would speak for the positive Garrick experience too...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:15 am 

To answer Sebastiaan's question about whether The Garrick Theatre still exists: NO, a while ago i was on the internet and came across a site where they showed pictures of Zappa related places and buildings.<br>On this site they also showed a picture of the building/place where the Garrick once stood: the building itself still exists, but it has been turned into (i've i am not mistaking) a shop.<br>I can't remember the site's url or if it is indeed a shop, but The Garrick doesn't exist: i know that much.<br>How about THE PALLADIUM and THE FELT FORUM, do THEY still exist ???? I think they still do, aren't they?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:52 am 

If I am not mistaken the Palladium became a Disco before its ultimate demise and the Felt Forum was refurbished by and is now called the Theater at Madison Square Garden.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:20 am 

The Palladium did do a few shows now and then in the 90s -- I saw Fugazi there in '97. It was torn down shortly thereafter, and is now an NYU dorm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:23 am 

Also, as a side note, Apostolic studios (where FZ recorded four Mothers albums in the late 60s), which was at 53 East 10th Street, is now a regular ol' residential building, with an antique shop on the main floor. I used to live at 55 East 10th, and nowadays you'd never know it attracted so much attention from the cops. "Here, have a bun..."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:33 pm 

<br>[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends&num=1033014836&start=0#12 date=09/27/02 at 16:56:24]<br><br>Thanx Abnuceal!!! I've found the site:<br><br>http://www.cableaz.com/users/lantz/petermackay.html<br>[/quote]<br><br><br><br>Thanx to YOU, Sebastiaan: THAT'S the site i meant.....<br>Damn, you people really do know everything about FZ, even all the FZ-related internet sites.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:37 pm 

The only reason FZ did NOT live in NY, but in LA was:<br>(this is what i read somewhere...):''The only reason i (FZ) live in LA, is because it's the only place i know where i can get my equipment fixed...''<br><br>It makes you wonder exactly WHAT kind of equipment he had.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:44 am 

Yet another side note, to the whole Apostolic Studios thing. The building has been there for quite some time. I'm almost positive it's the actual building in which all those Mothers albums were recorded. What probably happened is that the folks who ran Apostolic were operating a studio in a semi-legal capacity on residential premises. Hence the reason why the cops were called all the time (any real studio would have been heavily soundproofed and insulated, and in all likelihood not raised the neighbors' ire). Or, the building actually used to be commercial space and was converted into yuppie housing projects in the 80s (story of downtown Manhattan).