Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cheepnis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:22 pm 

Can someone help my out on this one?<br><br>Album: Roxy & Elsewhere<br>Song: Cheepnis<br><br>In the song you can hear a fantastic vocalist singing this verse:<br><br>Here comes that poodle dog!<br>Big as a blimp with a rhinestone collar<br>Snappin' of fthe trees<br>etc.<br><br>Can anyone tell me who's the legal owner of this voice?<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Cheepnis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:28 pm 

Good question. I don't know who it is, but it doesn't really sound like a natural singing voice. I think it's an sped up overdub. It could be Napoleon Murphy Brock or perhaps FZ himself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:06 pm 

Here, I've tried to timestretch it to a normal singing voice, judge for yourself:<br><br>http://onlinerock.com/musicians/purpletentacle/cheepnis.mp3<br>

Post subject: ;DRe: Cheepnis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:14 pm 

About them overdubs<br><br>Was it something that they used more to create special effects?  It's rather strange that they used it on live albums 'cause I think it's much easier on studio tapes, not?<br>To be honest his (or maybe her) voice doesn't sound very natural, so I think you're kinda right<br><br>...with a rrhhiiiiinnestoone collar...   ;D<br><br>Oh man how I love that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:24 pm 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1037139767;start=0#3 date=11/12/02 at 15:06:18]Here, I've tried to timestretch it to a normal singing voice, judge for yourself:<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, you got a point there<br>Now, I don't know much about the vocalists but I'm learning,thanks<br><br>I just tought that you were saying that they only speed up the vocals but they did it probably with the whole band. That makes it a lot easier,duh.  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:27 pm 

On the credits of the song it also has additional back-up vocals by Debbi, Lynn, Ruben, George & Froggy.<br><br> ???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:35 am 

Quote:
I don't know what kind of device was used to speed up his vocals on Cheepnis, but it brought the house down every time he did it.<br>
<br><br>I can imagine<br><br>I'm not so sure about that helium thing, it only works for a few seconds ???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:29 am 

I'm not certain if all the music is sped up: you can hear the same riff again when Zappa says 'Here Fido, Here Fido' and when Nappy sings 'got a great big slimey thing' and those vocals don't sound sped up to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:05 am 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=legends;num=1037139767;start=15#16 date=11/14/02 at 10:46:02]<br>The music is sped up during the "Here comes that poodle dog" section. It HAS to be, or the sped-up vocals wouldn't match. [/quote]<br>Perhaps the 'Here comes that poodle dog'-vocals were overdubbed later in the studio with the recorded backing tapes from the live concert slowed down a whole note. When you play it back at normal speed, the vocals will sound 'munchkinized' but the music is still at the recorded pitch. <br><br> FZ used the same technique on things like 'Greggery Peccary', where the vocals are sped up but the music is still in the same key it was originally recorded in. <br><br>
Quote:
Just listen to the tone, timbre and pitch of all the instruments during the normal sections. Then listen to how high and fast they all get during the "speedy voice" section. There's no way that music is normal-speed.
<br><br>Perhaps you're right, but I'm still not convinced: listen to the snare drum in the left speaker: normally, when you speed up the tape a whole note, you should hear a different snare sound (higher and less decay). It's not really obvious here, I think. And the Roxy band was certainly capable of playing stuff like this at a high speed, like on YCDTOSA #2. <br><br>Anyway, it would be interesting to hear the piece exactly as it was recorded live to be sure..