Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: support acts?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:44 am 

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Frank live :(, so i have a question for all those that have. What sort of acts supported Frank on tours? Are any of the acts still around today, and who are they? I know Tom Waits supported him sometime in the 70s but i've never heard of any others. Maybe Frank didn't have supports due to the lenght of his show.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

Post subject: Re: support acts?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:51 am 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=legends;num=1042199084;start=0#0 date=01/10/03 at 03:44:44]I've never had the pleasure of seeing Frank live :(, so i have a question for all those that have. What sort of acts supported Frank on tours? Are any of the acts still around today, and who are they? [/quote]<br><br>Good questions !! Never seen him either, so can't help.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:53 am 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=legends;num=1042199084;start=0#0 date=01/10/03 at 03:44:44]I've never had the pleasure of seeing Frank live :(, so i have a question for all those that have. What sort of acts supported Frank on tours?Maybe Frank didn't have supports due to the lenght of his show.[/quote]<br><br>Frank's 1988 "Broadway the hard way" tour had no support act . It said on the ticket "Please note there will be no support act and FZ will be on stage at 8pm" . Would scan my ticket and show to you but I'm a computer spaz . This was the only time I got to see him .<br> :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:53 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1042199084;start=0#3 date=01/10/03 at 07:22:29]<br>Here ya go...check it out.<br>Image[/quote]<br><br>Howdya do dat den smartarse?! The Birmingham NEC tickets looks like a crappy old bus ticket anyway !  :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:35 pm 

The only time I saw Zappa (Sacramento, 3/30/80) he had no support act.  <br><br>I just bought a new issue of Goldmine Magazine (which has a Residents cover story) there is an article on the band Nektar and it talks a little bit about them supporting Frank on a European tour in 1976.  "Frank liked us a lot" (Nektar guitarist Roye) Albrighton recalled, "and I don't know why, because it's not exactly his style of music.  But on many a night through that tour of Europe, he stood on the side of the stage and listened and watched us.  He stood there most nights and watched everything we were doing."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:37 am 

The only supporting act that I've heard of (and is still around) was Peter Gabriel, after he left Genesis. Can't think of any else. And if I mis-spelled Peter's name (which I'm sure I did.)---a thousand pardons............

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:55 pm 

I've heard about a large outdoor festival in England in the late 70's where Frank, Peter Gabriel and the Tubes were all on the same bill.  I believe the Tubes actually headlined and got a great response (I remember one of the Tubes- Bill Spooner I think) saying that this was a highlight of their career.  Anybody out there attend this or have recordings.  It must have been fantastic.  I'm a big fan of the Tubes and Peter Gabriel as well as Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:46 am 

In the early 70's i saw FZ at the Agrodome, Van., B.C., and opening the show was It's a Beautiful Day. Must have been a one off, strange pairing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:43 pm 

Let's not forget The Velvet Underground...or was it the other way roud?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:44 pm 

oops..ROUND  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:51 am 

The full list of bands that did Knebworth 1978 was<br><br>The Tubes <br>Frank Zappa<br>Peter Gabriel<br>The Boomtown rats<br>Rockpile<br>Solid senders<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:57 pm 

[quote author=tweezer_gleam link=board=legends;num=1042199084;start=15#16 date=01/14/03 at 06:51:56]The full list of bands that did Knebworth 1978 was<br><br>The Tubes <br>Frank Zappa<br>Peter Gabriel<br>The Boomtown rats<br>Rockpile<br>Solid senders<br><br>[/quote]Wow, thanks.  What a great lineup.  I liked the Boomtown Rats and and Rockpile, too.   <br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:53 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1042199084;start=15#18 date=01/16/03 at 05:36:10]<br>Image[/quote]<br><br>Is it just me, or does Frank so totally NOT fit in that line-up of names....???<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:14 pm 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=legends;num=1042199084;start=15#19 date=01/18/03 at 07:53:05]<br><br>Is it just me, or does Frank so totally NOT fit in that line-up of names....???<br>[/quote]Well, it's funny how everything kinda  connects in some way.  The Tubes seem influenced by FZ somewhat in their satirical approach and Captain Beefheart was covered by The Tubes on their "Now" album (My Head is My Only House Unless It Rains).  The Captain also performed harmonica on that album and was thanked for "being (Don Van Vliet) in the liner notes.  Peter's Gabriel's longtime bass player is Tony Levin who has made two excellent albums with Terry Bozzio and Steve Stevens and of course played with Adrian Belew in King Crimson.  I think Adrian Belew has done some session work with Gabriel as well. One of Rockpile's member's, Nick Lowe, used to be married to Carlene Carter, Johhny Cash's stepdaughter and, of course Johnny almost performed with Frank on the '88 tour but couldn't come because his wife, and Carlene Carter's mom, June Carter Cash was sick.  The Boomtown Rats covered "Under My Thumb " by the Rolling Stones on one of their albums and one of the songs composers, Mick Jagger, once pulled a splinter out of Frank's toe while visiting his house in the late 60's.  Wilko Johnson of the Solid Senders later played with Ian Dury and The Blockheads.  When I was at a Foreigner concert in 1978 they played the song "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" by Ian Dury over the P.A. between bands.  At the time, Ian McDonald was a member of Foreigner.  McDonald, before his tenure in Foreigner, was a member of King Crimson, a band that later featured bassist Tony Levin who made two excellent albums with Terry Bozzio....<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:41 am 

Wowie Zowie! I think Dean deserves the 'Frankie' for services to Conceptual Continuity above and beyond the call of duty. Nice work! ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:16 am 

I saw Frank and the Jerry Garcia Band together in Chicago 84' and he was without support in 88' in Chicago When I saw him at the auditorium theater.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:39 pm 

[quote author=dean link=board=legends;num=1042199084;start=0#7 date=01/10/03 at 18:35:53]The only time I saw Zappa (Sacramento, 3/30/80) he had no support act.  <br><br>I just bought a new issue of Goldmine Magazine (which has a Residents cover story) there is an article on the band Nektar and it talks a little bit about them supporting Frank on a European tour in 1976.  "Frank liked us a lot" (Nektar guitarist Roye) Albrighton recalled, "and I don't know why, because it's not exactly his style of music.  But on many a night through that <br>tour of Europe, he stood on the side of the stage and listened and watched us.  He stood there most nights and watched everything we were doing."[/quote]<br><br><br>Switzerland 2/9/73 Frank Zappa & Nektar ,He must have liked them.<br>