Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Dopey picture....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:51 am 

He has a quizzical look about him, I think. Or he might be saying "You wanna take a photo? Well get this up your clacker!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:17 am 

Yeah, I've got that issue. It has a good long interview in it. It originally came with a plasticy 45 single as well, but I got mine 2nd hand, so of course it was missing.<br><br>Having a closer look at the top pic, he looks a bit gaunt, eh, like he's at the end of a long tour, with not much sleep in a coupla days. Probably living on smokes, coffee and burnt weeny sandwiches. But hey, thats our Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:24 pm 

Maybe he needed to trim his eyebrows. Hair-meister, old Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:26 pm 

I've got that issue as well, but never saw the 45 single--maybe it was absconded by another Frank Freak.....There's another magazine (don't know if it's around anymo') called Record Review that had an issue with him on the cover---musta been from the same photo shoot. Neil Zlozower did the pics....there WAS a thread about the ultimate pic of FZ, stating the cover of Guitar Player as being the one. He might've been in the middle of a tour, musicians tend to forget to eat when on the road, I s'pose. They were taken in the late '70's, so it was before he was diagnosed. There's a few pics (Sabrina2, you listenin'?) where you can, umm,well, have some nice little fantacies.....and if you happen to have some DEVICES around....... ;D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:49 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=legends;num=1064831822;start=0#5 date=09/30/03 at 00:26:09]I've got that issue as well, but never saw the 45 single--maybe it was absconded by another Frank Freak.....[/quote]<br><br>Yes, most likely some music fan's light fingers did the handiwork.<br><br>
Quote:
There's a few pics (Sabrina2, you listenin'?) where you can, umm,well, have some nice little fantacies.....and if you happen to have some DEVICES around....... ;D
<br><br>Yes, most likely light fingers could do the handiwork here also.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:28 pm 

People who doesn't know Zappalife usually thinks he was involved with drugs...his look is to aggressive to seem a nice-boy...<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:17 pm 

I always felt he looked out of it on the cover of SUAPYG, as though he was posed on the bench and the hat thrown on his head.<br><br>In the FZ tribute issue of Musician (2/94), Sal Marquez said that he and FZ used to drink Courvoisier together all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:11 pm 

Sure, he had a drink from time to time, but from what I understand, he never got fall-down drunk. Hadda keep that control......The closest I heard of him being intoxicated publicly was when he went on the radio to let people tape Lather off the air. Someone said at the beginning of the interview, there was the sound of foil being torn and Frank saying foriegn beer was awfully hard to open  ;D I can't remember where I read this, but they said he sounded a little "buzzed", but not incapacitated. But we know his stance on drugs and drinking to excess, don't we? That ought to put this to rest....... ;)