Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:09 pm 

[quote author=VCF link=board=legends;num=1057192702;start=15#22 date=07/21/03 at 17:58:08]I...Were the venues FZ played in other parts of America the smallish venues too?...[/quote]<br>it depends where the tour took the band....he'd always play maple leaf gardens (18,000 seats) from about the early 70s when coming thru toronto, but i also saw a burlington vermont college gym concert (maybe 4,000 seats)...he probably wanted to maximize his exposure (and $) in the large stadiums, but preferred smaller venues for acoustics & ambiance<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:35 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1057192702;start=15#26 date=07/22/03 at 19:01:53][tt]Did you see him at the CNE in '84?[/tt][/quote]<br>yes...i had to pull out my ticket stubs: wed. aug 15 '84, $16.50, floor seats with UB40 opening act<br><br><br>[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1057192702;start=15#26 date=07/22/03 at 19:01:53][tt]Memorial Auditorium (where you attended FZ's performance on '88 tour) in Burlington, VT seats 2,300[/tt][/quote]<br>he must have bypssed toronto on that tour, so i hooked up with some zappaholics outta ottawa & drove down<br><br><br>[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1057192702;start=15#26 date=07/22/03 at 19:01:53][tt]Come on, I greatly doubt that he was booked into arenas just because of money and maximizing his exposure. It really had to do with the amount of people he could draw in any given market and which venues were conducive to that. I'm sure acoustics somewhat factored into the decision making process as well though...[/tt][/quote]<br><br>good points, now that i think about it; with a multi-show tour stop, a small venue isn't a factor plus it usually has better acoustics although as i remember, the vermont show didn't have great acoustics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:44 am 

I can't say whether he was more popular in Europe, but at least he hasn't been banned from the radio, as far as I know (although I rarely hear his songs on there).<br> <br>In 1979 Bobby Brown became a Top 10 hit for nine weeks here in Norway and I think you'll find Sheik Yerbouti and Joe's Garage in many a Norwegian home.<br><br>In several countries in Eastern Europe, perhaps especially in Czechoslovakia, Zappa was seen as a symbol of freedom and democracy. In fact, the process that lead to the peaceful revolution against the communists in Cs startet with the arrest of a band called 'The Plastic People of The Universe'. Václav Havel and his friends fought against the regime for years, and after the revolution Havel gave Zappa a job as the country's representative for trade, tourism and culture in the west. It was, however, ended after pressure from the US (James Baker III)... which shows that Zappa was not too popular in those stuck up segments of the American society.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:56 am 

i might get shot for this from fellow forum members well american ones but u think Europeans have a better understanding of satire and irony also by nature it would seem that Europeans are more permissive than our friends in the U.S...well at least the polticians are.  In saying that the british are not too far behind the americans when it comes to oppression, dicatatorial rule ans suppression of free thought.  It's laughable how Bush & Blair paint us as the patrons of the free world.  Modern liberal democracies don't promote freedom anymore, there watchwords are censorship, obediance and submission to the state.....don't be fooled by the rhetoric of the "free" world it's a myth.  it's not a new thing....americans have been opposing free speech since the advent of McCarthyism.  Hmm i went a bit off track there...never mind though

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:29 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1057192702;start=15#27 date=07/22/03 at 19:35:20]<br>yes...i had to pull out my ticket stubs: wed. aug 15 '84, $16.50, floor seats with UB40 opening act<br>[/quote]<br><br>UB40 opening for Zappa - my jaw is on the floor :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:35 am 

I dunno whether FZ gets played on UK radio but we have a longstanding DJ called John Peel who has dj'ed for BBC on the prime station Radio One. Peel is a big Captain Beefheart fan and Peelie plays what he likes, he doesn't play chart crap. I don't have a radio tho' so I don't know if he plays Frank but I know he plays the Captain.<br><br>We also had the Late Show Special done by the BBC which I'm sure most of you have seen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:51 am 

it was john peel who "discovered" captain beefheart if you like at  a jazz festival in 1966 he talked him into coming to britain and i think played a part in getting him a recording contract...i may be a little wrong on this as my memory is a little hazy...he made a documentary on beefheart in the early 90s and it was included in this.

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:41 am 

When it comes to sweden nowdays there is a variation in how much Frank you can get in a local CD store.<br><br>For example, in my local CD store(It's a pure one) I only recogniced about 5-6 CD's with Frank. I haven't found any of Captain's good ol' classics there though.<br><br>The town I live in is pretty near Stockholm and pretty large but still it has a big lack of CD cariation...or how to say it.<br><br>But in this summer when I was in another town in another store I recogniced about...lemme see now...maybe 11-16 FZ CD's and 2 of the Captains. That shows it is a variation between the stores.<br><br>When it comes to the radiostation only one is not mainstream oriented. It is more owned by the goverment I think so it don't play so much chart shit. Furthermore there is a good rock station and some various "old and new music" stations.<br><br>Altough I haven't heard anything with Zappa on any radio but when there was a small little cut with his song "bobby brown" and his face on the "absolute rock classics 2" commercial I think it was the real highlight.<br><br>But it might get better by the time, or not :D<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>