Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Count Grishnack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:28 am 

Somebody suggested about making a new thread about Count Grishnack, so...<br><br>This is taken from www.allmusic.com: is the one-man project of Varg Vikernes (born Christian Vikernes, aka Count Grishnackh), perhaps the most notorious figure in Norwegian black metal. Although Burzum has an unpredictably experimental bent — encompassing black metal, industrial, electronic, and dark ambient music — Vikernes will forever be associated with his conviction for the 1993 murder of former Mayhem bandmate Euronymous. It wasn't the first time Vikernes had run afoul of the law; he had been a suspect in arsons directed at historic Norwegian churches in Bergen, a perception not helped by his use of a post-fire photograph of the Fantoft Kirke church on the cover of Burzum's 1993 Aske EP. Coupled with Vikernes' racist, virulently anti-Judeo-Christian beliefs was a sort of nationalistic pride, a longing to return to the pre-Christian pagan culture and religion that had marked the glory days of the Vikings; this paganism became a frequently recurring theme in black metal circles, and led to the Norwegian metal sound being tagged Viking metal in some quarters.<br>As for his recording career, Vikernes issued the eponymous Burzum debut in 1992 under his Count Grishnackh alias (taken from a J.R.R. Tolkien book); it was largely a typical black metal record, although it featured a few synth dabblings and slower passages, neither of which had yet found much favor on the scene. 1993's Det Som Engang Var expanded on those innovations while retaining an overall metal flavor. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss (When the Light Takes Us), released in 1994 shortly after Vikernes' imprisonment, integrated synthesizers more fully into the Burzum sound, and the all-electronic closing track foreshadowed Burzum's later move into dark ambient. The well-received, industrial/electronic-tinged Filosofem appeared in 1996, although it had been recorded (but not mixed) prior to Vikernes' incarceration.<br><br>With the vaults thus exhausted, Burzum's future appeared to be in doubt, but Vikernes managed to begin recording entirely instrumental synthesizer albums while in prison. A concept work recounting a well-known Norse myth, Daudi Baldrs (Balder's Death), was released in 1997 as the first installment of a planned trilogy. The second portion, the mythology-themed Hlidskjalf, appeared in 1999, featuring an equipment upgrade and a correspondingly fuller sound. — Steve Huey<br><br><br><br>I don´t believe that Zappa fans have much to say about this but let´s see. :-/<br>

Post subject: Re: Count Grishnack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:46 am 

I've heard one of those synthesizer records he made in prison. Man, that is some of the most talentless shit I've heard in years, it sounds like an infant banging away on a $30 Casio toy keyboard. No flame intended folks, but I found it really hard to believe that anyone bought this because of the musical value instead of his fearsome reputation. Of course, my friend who has this record insists otherwise. <br><br>Anyway: a more interesting debate is: Should you ignore these musicians because of their deeds, even if you think the music itself is good? <br><br>I'm kinda in doubt here: for example, I'm a big James Brown fan, but he doesn't exactly have a good reputation as a person, with pulling a gun on his wife and spending time in prison for abuse and drug use. But I still enjoy his music.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:15 am 

The music is bigger than its makers, I think.<br>Of course if somebody seriously writes a song called "Be a racist-churchburner and a killer too, it´s cool", i´m not going to listen to it. What I mean is that the music doesn´t necessarily have to represent its composer thoughts or deeds. <br>I also find his synth pieces to be some of the most boring stuff i´ve ever listened to. He switched to synth-music and stopped playing black-metal with guitars because he thought that black-metal has negro-roots. Can you take that guy seriously? <br>"Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe." FZ<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:28 am 

<br>[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends&num=1035822484&start=0#1 date=10/28/02 at 07:46:20]<br>Should you ignore these musicians because of their deeds, even if you think the music itself is good? <br>[/quote]<br>I kind of adopt the Frank's attitude on that. Ignore them when possible. Like he did with Miles Davis.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:32 am 

Super! Some black metal fans on this board.  Well, I must say I don't like his later synth work either, but Det Som Engang Var is one of my favourite black metal records of all time.<br><br>The fact that he is a murderer, racists and churchburner in my opinion just gives something extra to the music. DON'T get me wrong, I don't aprove of his views, but at least this 'evil', 'satanic' music isn't a pose, and as such his music has some integrity to it that others don't have. Black Metal is all about grimmnes, misanthropy, doom, etc, so if the performers are really in to that shit, it elevates the music. Content and form merge into one...<br>Det Som Engang Var is one of the most aghastly records I know, and equals a kind of musical horror-trip. I like it.  <br><br>And the guy is still punished for what he did, so why shouldn't we listen to his stuff? He is wrong, but he made a great record. <br>It's kinda like not listening to Oasis because they are assholes... And as I said, the fact that Varg Vikerness is wrong, even makes it  better.<br><br>For other, non-pc and totaly 'wrong' music: check out www.coldmeat.se , a Swedish DIY label which specializes in creepy stuff from nationalists, fascists and other scum. Nevertheless, some of them make great records...<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:47 am 

I wouldn't call me a black metal fan (at least anymore). <br>I still like Emperor and a couple of other bands though.<br> I don't know if it's good if the guy's "true" about his views. It gives new depth to the music only in the minds of the ones who know about it. I don't think a guy has to burn churches and kill people in order to make "evil" sounding music. Terrorism and music are two totally different arts. <br>Still, I think the song "Det som en gang var" is kinda hypnotic, when start to listen to it, I can't stop....scary.<br><br><br><br>Varg Vikernes is an IDIOT. No matter how good music he ever makes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:57 am 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=legends;num=1035822484;start=0#5 date=11/02/02 at 10:47:17]I wouldn't call me a black metal fan (at least anymore). <br><br>Varg Vikernes is an IDIOT. No matter how good music he ever makes.[/quote]<br><br>I'm with you on that one for sure. Just check out his website (the site of the NHF).  It is for real fascist & neo-nazi stuff.  But I find it kinda amuzing, it's interesting to see how these people think.<br>Stupidity rules the world.<br><br>Besides, he doesn't make good music, only Det Som is a good record. The rest he made is kinda crap, except for the first songs on Filosofem.<br><br>Of course there's a difference between music & terror, but if you're music is about such stuff, it sure helps if you are a sick motherfucker... You will do better than a musician that is as gifted as you I think.<br><br>'bout the black metal thing: for me it was just a phase in puberty. I still like the new work from Cradle Of Filth & Absu though, and all the old stuff i bought back in the days. I kinda lost sight of Emperor after 'Anthems...'<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Absu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:10 pm 

About ABSU: check out a post of mine on them (page 5 of the 'should we listen to fascist music' thread.)<br><br>They're a Texan trash-black metal band, and they are singed to the french metallabel Osmose.<br><br>A brilliant drummer (he's in my top 5 I guess)! <br><br>Especially their latest album, Tara, is definitely worth checking out, a true metal classic that is. Fast, furious, grim, very eighties (think of Mercyful Fate for the vocals), and still a bit epic sometimes, with bagpipes and so, 'cause there all about Celtic mythology and stuff. That might seem cliché and overdone, but if your in some good old fast extreme metal: definitly look out for 'Tara'...  <br><br>Aaarghhhhh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:59 pm 

Lock your doors, everyone. Varg's loose.<br><br>Article<br>Article<br>Article<br>(they're all in Norwegian)<br><br>Or in English, from another message board:<br>Newspaper: BURZUM Leader Fails To Return After Short Leave From Prison - Oct. 26, 2003 <br><br>Norway's NRK (web site), Dagbladet (web site) and Bergensavisen (web site) are reporting that BURZUM mastermind Varg "Greven" Vikernes (a.k.a. Count Grishnack) failed to return after a short leave from his prison in Vestfold, Norway, where the black metal musician is serving a 21-year sentence for the August 1993 murder of MAYHEM guitarist Oystein Aarseth (a.k.a. Euronymous), the burning of three churches, and the resulting death of a fireman. Varg, 30, was supposed to return to the prison by midnight Saturday (October 25) after being granted a couple of days off, but failed to come back in time. The police have no information on his whereabouts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:17 pm 

No, forget about that, they caught him again. Its safe to come out of your house now.<br><br>Article #1.<br>Article #2.