Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Susy Creamcheese
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:42 am 

Hi All,<br><br>I have heard many times the Susy Creamcheese voice  :P (in Uncle Meat in particular) but I have never read nothing about her.  :-[<br>Frank did not mention her in his "real FZ book".  :-/<br>I have never read musical journals and I am a Newbye.<br>Probably you will answer that everybody knows everything on Susy.<br>But I am curious. Was she a "virtual" person representing the icon of the groupie in the sixthies ? Was she real ? If yes, what about her ? ::)<br><br>Monstermovie :D

Post subject: Re: Susy Creamcheese
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:44 am 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=legends;num=1071088959;start=0#0 date=12/10/03 at 12:42:39]Hi All,<br><br>I have heard many times the Susy Creamcheese voice  :P (in Uncle Meat in particular) but I have never read nothing about her.  :-[<br>Frank did not mention her in his "real FZ book".  :-/<br>I have never read musical journals and I am a Newbye.<br>Probably you will answer that everybody knows everything on Susy.<br>But I am curious. Was she a "virtual" person representing the icon of the groupie in the sixthies ? Was she real ? If yes, what about her ? ::)<br><br>Monstermovie :D[/quote]<br>real

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:49 am 

"Pamela Zarubica, age eighteen, was going to Pepperdine College near USC. She was not really involved in the rock scene - mostly she satat home in Inglewood, California and listened to Bob Dylan records. She was not into the Mothers of Invention or anything psychedelic - she was drinking beer. Soon she was to be known as Suzy Creamcheese...She was svelte, classy, with brown eyes and dark brown hair. She spoke in a monotone and was very funny.... <br><br>"She was first introduced to the rock scene by the Lovin' Spoonful, whom she saw on television. ..She was introduced by her girl friend Julia (who eventually married John Desmore of the Doors) to Phil Spector....Julia and Pamela liked Phil very much.... <br><br>"Eventually she met John Judnick, Lenny Bruce's roomate for ten years. John was best friends with Tim Hardin, the folk singer. She got to know the whole crew and their inner relationship. John liked Tim, Tim and John liked Lenny, Frank Zappa liked Lenny, Tim and Frank didn't like each other, and Frank and Phil hated each other. 'Everyone was afraid of Frank but Phil was the only one smart enough to know why.' <br><br>"She first saw Frank Zappa while she and Julia were waiting to get into the Trip. The guest guitarist came in from the back. 'He used to wear this big fur coat that looked like it was made out of dead cat....I thought he looked like Omar Sharif. I always called him Omar. He played a tune with the Grass Roots.' After that, she saw him around with Vito and Carl Franzoni. Finally Frank opened at the Trip. 'I sat there through the first set while they were playing Brown Shoes Don't Make It, and I was thinking to myself that I was a creep because my shoes were brown and then I remembered they were moccasins so I was okay again. They played Help I'm A Rock for twenty minutes and everyone went *Ugh*....I loved it. He came over after the set and said, 'I'm glad you could make it' and I said, 'So am I.'' <br><br>"Pamela and Julia used to go to see Frank at his house, have mushroom soup, and talk. Someties Frank and Pamela would go to Cantor's . 'I would stare at Phil Spector and he [Frank] would look at all the girls but none of them would have anything to do with him 'cause he just wasn't getting any action.' At the time, Pamela was living at 8404 Kirkwood near Laurel Canyon. Frank used to come by just to talk and then go out for some local hot action. In exchange for the talks, Pamela used to clean Frank's house in Silver Lake." <br><br>"'Freak Out' introduced Suzy Creamcheese to the audience at large. Suzy was a dada concept, a nonsense phrase repeated until it became a Pavlovian salivating technique. Zappa didn't miss a trick. <br><br><br>      

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:56 am 

OK, thanks.<br>I supposed that obviously many things were known about Susy. Normal, I had a break of almost 20 years with my non professional life.<br>She is real but: "Suzy was a dada concept, a nonsense phrase repeated until it became a Pavlovian salivating technique. Zappa didn't miss a trick" .<br>So, my ideas about her virtual existence was not wrong at all.<br><br>Ciao and thanks again,<br>Monstermovie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:10 pm 

I did a quick Google search on Pamela Zarubica and came up with this:<br><br>http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/archived/2002/0809/news/loss.asp<br><br>Protesters score win in loss<br><br>Camden Council left with big legal bill after winning Swiss Cottage protest case<br><br>Image<br><br>by Keith Cooper<br><br>CAMDEN has been left with a legal bill topping £15,000 despite being cleared of acting illegally when removing protesters demonstrating against the Swiss Cottage development.<br><br>County Court Recorder Henry Harrod took the unusual step of saying he was “moved and very touched” by Neil Aptaker and Pamela Zarubica’s case after they sued Camden for £6,000 damages.<br><br>The damages were for alleged bruises and injuries suffered during their eviction from the 45-day blockade of the path outside Winchester Road Community Centre last October.<br><br>They were blocking contractors from driving onto the market square with materials to refurbish Swiss Cottage’s listed library.<br><br>Although the recorder accepted that the council had the right to evict them from land it owned, and said the council did not use unreasonable force, he criticised leisure chiefs for their handling of the case.<br><br>He awarded the council just £4,700 of their £20,000 legal costs, saying it should have issued an injunction against protesters rather than hire security guards to evict them.<br><br>And he struck out the council’s £3,400 counter-claim against protesters for mounting the security operation.<br><br>Despite losing the case, the two campaigners, of Fordwych Road, West Hampstead, were jubilant and relieved at the result. They were supported by fellow protesters, who had backed them throughout the three-day trial.<br><br>Giving judgment on Thursday last week, Mr Harrod said: “I have been moved by this occasion and been very touched by the supporters who have come into the gallery every day.<br><br>“It was apparent from the outset that the claimants were going to fail because they were on land owned by the council.<br><br>“Because Camden owned the land it was entitled to use it for sending the lorries to the refurbishment site.”<br><br>Mr Harrod dismissed Ms Zarubica’s claim that she was treated roughly, although he agreed “she wasn’t very carefully carried” after seeing a Ham&High photograph that showed one of her legs swinging freely.<br><br>He said she had been “resisting” and that the fingertip bruising she suffered was not evidence that unreasonable force had been used.<br><br>Mr Harrod said that instead of issuing trespass notices and hiring security guards, the council should have “applied for an injunction which these law-abiding citizens would have obeyed”.<br><br>In ordering Ms Zarubica and Mr Aptaker to pay £4,700, Mr Harrod said it would have been the cost to the council if it had applied for the injunction.<br><br>He added that the protesters were “transparently honest and law-abiding citizens” who would have obeyed the injunction.<br><br>But he said that although he had been “critical” of the council, he believed council officers “had acted in the best interests of the people”.<br><br>A council spokesman said: “We were confident that this was a case the claimants were never going to win.<br><br>“We have a public duty to defend these cases. We were acting in the best interests of the Camden people and it is unfortunate that we have been saddled with the bill, which will have to be paid by the council tax-payer.”<br><br>Following the judgment, Mr Aptaker said: “It is the best £5,000 I have ever spent. I feel that the judge showed remarkable perception in acknowledging the law as he saw it and seeing Camden’s actions on the day as totally unnecessary.”<br><br>Ms Zarubica, who represented the couple despite having no legal training, said she felt “totally vindicated” by the judge’s comments.<br><br>She said that if the council had not pursued the case in such a “vindictive manner” it would not have racked up such large legal costs. “This whole situation came about because Camden tried to intimidate us and threaten us.<br><br>“Camden tax-payers should be more concerned about stopping the council from destroying the market square.”<br><br>The couple have also agreed to pay £2,400 in costs after dropping their separate claim against Cerebrus, the firm that supplied the security guards.<br><br>Fascinating. Did she move to England or something ? Or is this another Pamela Zarubica ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:22 pm 

I think it's the same one, Homsar. From what this site says:<br><br>"Pamela Zarubica aka Susy Creamcheese is not dead. She is starting a recordlabel in London. Name of the label: Ship Records."<br><br>This is a pretty old site ('91!).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:17 am 

I read (somewhere) that FZ met Suzy Creamcheese during the 1988 tour in Seville. Maybe someone can confirm this (?).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:58 am 

pamela zarubica ended up marrying the guy that used to promote all night raves in the 60s where bands such as The Pink Floyd first made their mark on the british  underground pop scene.  His name escapes me now though

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

Post subject: re: Susy Creamcheese
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:35 am 

hey, welcome to the z-forum zardoz, you hooked up on a most auspicious day, good chi on ya