Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:05 pm 

Jack Cassidy is great. I loved the electric Hot Tuna concerts I have seen. Good call.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:38 am 

The guy that played on the Hair soundtrack.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:51 am 

I just watched a programme about the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I didn't realise how good Flea is at slap bass, phenomonal!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:18 am 

I think that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the worst live band I ever heard. I love their studio work, but they suck live.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:39 am 

Hey Poncho--                                                                                                              Funny you should mention Trevor Roy Dunn, I used to be in an  all-female prog-rock band with his cousin, Carlene Dunn who is a mighty fine guitarist in her own right. But nowadays she's trying to  make her first million in the stock market. Now there's a present-day musician refusing to become a baglady--------as far as my favorite: I think Percy Jones from Brand X is incredible, probably the best when it came to fretless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:01 am 

[quote author=Killer_Joe link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=30#30 date=04/11/03 at 03:18:13]I think that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the worst live band I ever heard. I love their studio work, but they suck live.[/quote]<br><br>Sad but true!<br>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:01 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=30#32 date=04/14/03 at 03:55:00]Forgot to add: <br><br>Yossi Fine (Bowie)<br>[/quote]<br><br>He's great! Really love his groove...<br>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:03 am 

Frank's bass line were very good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:20 am 

the chili peppers suck so bad i don't even want to talk about it.  flea is they're only hope.  all of their songs sound exactly the same, like they are in a tin can.  terrible

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:31 am 

John Patitucci<br><br>See if you can find his first solo album (with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums for half the tunes.... Dave Weckl for the other half).... or any of the stuff he did with Chick Corea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:42 am 

good call do-do mite, patitucci is sick, welcome aboard.  victor is a great player, but personally i think he way over-does it on the million notes per second tip.  if he just cooled down a bit, it's like alright we know you can do that lick, why don't you just chill out and play bass for a while.  talk about guitarists crossing over.  i saw a video w/ him and his brother (on guitar, who taught victor on guitar originally)  and they were doing the same exact thing.  too bad his bro doesn't  get the attention vic gets.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:46 pm 

nice thred not sure why no other acoustic bass players were mentioned! a short starter list should include,Jimmie Blanton,Paul Chambers,Ray Brown, Oscar Peterford,Dave Holland,Niels Pederson,Eddie Gomez, Scott Lafaro,Christian Mcbride,William Parker,and Buell Niedlinger(who worked with frank and is still with us!) on electric; Stanley, Jaco, Tony Levin,James Jamerson, Tom Fowler,Arthur Barrow, John paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Patrick O Hearn(in my opinion,the master of the fretless p-bass) and how come Roy Estrada was not mentioned!  :o ;D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:17 pm 

[quote author=johnoppel link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=30#38 date=04/15/03 at 12:20:48]...flea is they're only hope...[/quote]<br><br>I like The Red Hot Chili Peppers so I will stick up for them. First of all I think you mean "Flea is their only hope", because what you said is just plain silly. I also think that they are developing their style really well and it will be interesting to find out how their next album sounds (if there is another).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:58 pm 

[quote author=potato head link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=30#41 date=04/18/03 at 15:46:14]nice thred not sure why no other acoustic bass players were mentioned! a short starter list should include,Jimmie Blanton,Paul Chambers,Ray Brown, Oscar Peterford,Dave Holland,Niels Pederson,Eddie Gomez, Scott Lafaro,Christian Mcbride,William Parker,and Buell Niedlinger(who worked with frank and is still with us!) on electric; Stanley, Jaco, Tony Levin,James Jamerson, Tom Fowler,Arthur Barrow, John paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Patrick O Hearn(in my opinion,the master of the fretless p-bass) and how come Roy Estrada was not mentioned!  :o ;D[/quote] I mentioned "Tony Levin" alot earlier in this thread..What about Chris Squire?Phil Lesh?Roger Waters?"Geezer" Butler ?and who played bass for the Dixie Dregs...was it Steve Morse as well??(on studio albums,of course..)ahhh, sooo much talent!!<br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:13 pm 

[quote author=zaigoat link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=30#43 date=04/18/03 at 19:58:29]<br> .....What about Chris Squire?Phil Lesh?Roger Waters?"Geezer" Butler ?and who played bass for the Dixie Dregs...was it Steve Morse as well??(on studio albums,of course..)ahhh, sooo much talent!!<br>[/quote] :<br>[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=15#23 date=04/05/03 at 20:37:00]
  • ron carter
  • prakash john ;D
  • chris squire [sub]when he was at the top of his form [/sub]
[/quote]
  • agree w/squire, but whassup w/him lately
  • lesh...Image
  • waters.... ok but not on the B.B.P.Ever! list
  • d.dreggs.... Image
<br><br>[quote author=potato head link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=30#41 date=04/18/03 at 15:46:14]nice thred not sure why no other acoustic bass players were mentioned! a short starter list should include,Jimmie Blanton,Paul Chambers,Ray Brown, Oscar Peterford,Dave Holland,Niels Pederson,Eddie Gomez, Scott Lafaro,Christian Mcbride,William Parker,and Buell Niedlinger(who worked with frank and is still with us!) on electric; Stanley, Jaco, ....  :o ;D[/quote] maybe we should start a B.Jazz B.P.Ever! thred..but try & pick the top 3 or 5...i know, it's tough to narrow it down, but there can't be that much room at the top of the heap<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:26 pm 

[quote author=buzzedagain link=board=legends;num=1048976782;start=15#18 date=04/04/03 at 08:26:25] The big quiet guy from THE WHO! ;) <br> I never thought he showed his full potential except <br> for,maybe, the Who's Next album.[/quote]<br><br>The Who's John Entwistle is a total legend - walk softly and carry a big bass. He's magic on "Quadrophenia" and "Live at Leeds". <br><br>Bootsy Collins, Les Claypool, Alphonso Johnson and Miroslav Vitous (his name's even sounds like a cool bass lick in an onomatopoeic way).<br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:26 pm 

Damn, this topic has had me listening for exceptional bass riffs for a while, and you know what ??? There's not really too many players of note getting air-time.<br>For those who want to try and find David Bromberg... it's worth the effort.<br>He plays with his brother (Dave, I think ???) on a number of 'jazz' releases, and he does great stuff on both electric and stand up bass.<br>I'll keep listening and keep posted.<br>Gotta go... the 'groupies and the nun scene' has just come up on my 200 Motels video...  :o :o :o ;D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:55 pm 

My man Les Claypool is dangerously underepresented in this thread.  No, he's not the best bass player ever, but the man redefined playing when he came out in the 90's.  He's also got the fastest hands I've ever seen make decent sounds come out of the instrument.<br><br>I guess what I love most about Les is his uncanny blend of funk and quirk.  What's also dope about him is that he's not strictly a flashy, novelty player as one might assume off their earlier material.  With later works like The Brown Album and Anti-Pop, Claypool adopted a more back-to-basics approach that led to some of the most memorable licks of his career.<br><br>Listen to "Is It Luck".  Noises like that should not come out of a bass guitar.  ;D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:56 pm 

Oh oh oh. RON THAL plays bass really well. He isn't actually a bassist, but he does play bass on his albums. He is amazing, like Stu Hamm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:25 am 

For acoustic bass, I'd like to suggest Charlie Haden. Some phenomonal playing with Michael Mantler, Old and New Dreams and Ornette of course, plus some amazing stuff with Gonzalo Rubalcaba. Although his last couple of solo albums have been a bit iffy in terms of content.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next