Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:28 pm 

I love getting fortune cookie.<br><br>I just made this one up "All roads will lead you to somewhere"<br><br><br><br><br><br>Actually, I wanted to mention this, but couldn't decide where to post it.<br><br>[quote author=SonOfWillieThePimp link=board=general;num=1059012430;start=0#0 date=07/23/03 at 19:07:10]I've started this new 'sequel' to Picture Association<br>because my computer<br>can't handle it anymore over there  ;D.<br>It takes almost 5 minutes to wait for my 'reply screen'<br>and that sucks!<br>[/quote]<br><br>The trick is to get to the preview page to stop the whole thread from loading in.<br><br><br>Here's one way...  When you go to a heavy thread click 'quote' on any previous reply wait a moment or two after the screen go's blue then click the 'stop' button a couple times.<br><br> As soon as possible click "preview" This stops the thread and reply window from loading and JUST loads the 'preview window' instead. <br><br>Then you can delete the quote and post your reply- It shouldn't take more than a minute no matter how long the thread is.<br><br><br><br>Anyway, Thank you for your patience. ....Now you get Cookie<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:19 pm 

thanks for that galoot - my cookie read<br><br>Scorpio: Someone named "Bob" is ploting to wap you with a calla lilly. If you carry long-stemmed carnations around with you, you will be able to retaliate swiftly and effectively.<br><br>now i know that bob  ( AKA - AbnucealEmukaah83 ) is out to get me. ABU - im wise to the dastardly scheme - beware<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:28 am 

[quote author=mungo link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=0#1 date=08/02/03 at 17:19:13]thanks for that galoot - my cookie read<br><br>Scorpio: Someone named "Bob" is ploting to wap you with a calla lilly. If you carry long-stemmed carnations around with you, you will be able to retaliate swiftly and effectively.<br><br>now i know that bob  ( AKA - AbnucealEmukaah83 ) is out to get me. ABU - im wise to the dastardly scheme - beware<br><br>mungo[/quote]<br><br><br>HUH ??<br><br>What did I do...??<br><br>I thought we we're friends !!<br><br>Whatever i did, can we please talk it over and start a new ???<br><br>Your's truly,<br><br>BOB<br>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:38 pm 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=0#3 date=08/04/03 at 04:45:18]<br><br> Actually, I guess it did eventually go down the drain.<br> ;D[/quote]<br><br>Cookie say "Any rough times are now behind you"<br><br><br><br><br>And now here's another oddball post. <br>Image<br><br>My son found this in the Sunday Funnies and saved it for me.<br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:16 pm 

I ruined the surprise!!!<br><br><br><br><br>Yeah, I don't get it............ but I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:10 pm 

Hi Sir G.<br>This has nothing to do with anything but that's never stopped me before...on the 27th and the 28th of this month Mars will be closer to the Earth than it ever will be again in our lifetime.<br>LOOK UP.<br><br>Stick THAT in your fortune cookie  :P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:16 pm 

[quote author=Catpuke link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=0#7 date=08/06/03 at 20:10:34]This has nothing to do with anything but that's never stopped me before..[/quote]<br>Wow, .... STOP THE PRESSES!!!   '::)'<br><br><br>Thanks. Yeah, I try to never miss a celestial event. I started my Mars watch a couple weeks back. I believe it's also a new moon on the 27th?  Anyway, I hope it's a clear sky.<br><br>It's also meteor shower season again, right now we have the(tail end) of the Delta Aquarid shower. And of course every August is the Perseids, which should peak on the morning of the 13th. <br><br><br><br>So, as my best friend Sammy Davis Jr. always said, I'll keep an eye out.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:24 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=0#9 date=08/07/03 at 02:03:17]<br>As I marched across the quad, I happened to look up. In a row across the sky, I saw Mercury, the crescent moon, Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. I thought "Oh, that's kind of cool." Then I went to bed.<br><br>It's been 22 years. To this day, I've never again seen all five visible planets and the moon in the sky at the same time. But I keep looking up, just in case...<br><br>By the way: my professor hated my paper. He told me he figured that I waited until the last minute to write it.[/quote]<br>There's a book called The Jupiter Effect that was written in 1973 talking about that conjunction... It perdicted all kinds of gloom and doom that was to occur. ... a bad time to hand in a paper.<br><br>Big gatherings  normally happen about every 20 years but are not always visible. <br><br>In May of 2000 the y2k conjunction occurred-Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were close to each other. They gathered within a span across the sky only 27 degrees long. They weren't in a straight line with the Earth, or with each other and were not visible... in fact it was the first time in like 40 years that none of the eye planets could be seen.<br><br>But then just two years later they gathered and were visible to the naked eye, they didn't all come together in a line.... I believe that Mecury, Venus and Mars did appear to line up for one night. <br><br>And on another night the three made a near perfect triangle and were joined by the moon just above the horizon.<br><br>I read somewhere the next 'visible' 5 planet conjunction will be in the year 2040.<br> <br><br><br>Still though, nothing can ever beat the Hale-Bopp Comet...I doubt we will see anything like this again in the near future-but you never know.<br>Image<br><br>And for the next three or four nights will be a decent Meteor shower.. but the moon is coming full so the faints will be hard to see. I did see several bright-tailed ones very late last night. And of course Mars is VERY visible for the next few weeks.<br><br>Right now I'm just waiting for the moon to get a little lower and to see if the haze clears up some, then I will go out again.<br><br><br>I wanted to name our band Visible 5, but there was only 3 of us.<br><br><br>

Post subject: re: the asteroid
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:45 pm 

Image<br><br>[font=times new roman](3834) Zappafrank = 1980 JE <br>discovered 11/may/80 by l.brozek at klet, in memory of fz...some astronomers (ed. note: dickheads)have complained to the international astronomical union about moves to name an asteroid zappafrank after zappa[/font]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:15 am 

the last time I got chinese food my fortune cookie had a coupon for my next order in it.  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:03 am 

[center]Image[/center][center][sup]then what was it, poodle?[/sup][/center]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:05 am 

fortune? cookies? oracles do suck. badly. <br>they keep telling stuff like "everything will go just black" and things, the best one i ever got (a cookie) said "come on, try a happy face instead".....<br>man......anyway they taste bad. too crispy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:25 am 

yeah, and i will never forget this night when some fellow said to me "look, theres a falling star", i looked up and got a lump of birdshit on my head. <br>we were sitting on some car hood then and almost laughed ourselves to death. whattanight. full of, eh, astronomy. yes.<br>wowie!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:30 am 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#16 date=08/20/03 at 12:25:26]... i looked up and got a lump of birdshit on my head. ...[/quote]<br><br>"A blessing from the gods".<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:49 am 

[quote author=arrcee link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#17 date=08/20/03 at 13:30:16]<br><br>"A blessing from the gods".<br>[/quote]<br><br>yes, arrcee, it was.  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:36 am 

[quote author=arrcee link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#17 date=08/20/03 at 13:30:16]<br><br>"A blessing from the gods".<br>[/quote]<br><br>A dear older couple with whom we are great friends travelled to India, and were touring the Taj Mahal. During the tour, bird droppings landed on Joanne's shoulder. Without missing a beat, the tour guide uttered the above words to the assembled group, who laughed so much they were in tears.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:52 am 

us too, believe. a stinky and funny night it was. <br>god bless all birdies.  ;D<br>what a neat story by the way.<br>wowie!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:49 pm 

[quote author=arrcee link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#17 date=08/20/03 at 13:30:16]<br><br>"A blessing from the gods".<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yer wouldn't have called it that if it had landed in your kebab outside the chippy after a few beers. Bastard pigeons - rats with wings !!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:51 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#15 date=08/20/03 at 12:18:36]hey hey hey, I didn't follow this thread but it's nice to see some of you are interested in astronomy. It's my first and only 'hobby', as a kid I could point out all the constellations and planets, built my own telescope and spent a lot of nights behind it. My dad has a reflecting telescope and lives in an area without the damn citylight... so, clear skies in the winter.  <br>I won't forget the astronomy-summercamps, looking up and see 'Skylab' flying over...   [/quote]<br>I live only 5 miles from an observatory and it's really nice. Got to see the Shoemaker-Levy 9 comets slam into Jupiter back in '97.<br>Ha, now that I think about it, the only magazines I really like are Mad and Astronomy  :P  ;D<br><br>(OOPS! It was back in 1994 when the Shoemaker- Levy 9 comets hit Jupiter)<br>