Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:38 pm 

and i never saw a falling star again.neither birdshit.<br>wowie!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:08 pm 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#25 date=08/21/03 at 15:38:05]and i never saw a falling star again.neither birdshit.<br>wowie![/quote]<br>       <br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:10 pm 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#24 date=08/21/03 at 15:08:54]Nice stories, miss Catpuke and mr. Flycoon! When I found out astronomy is not that romantic and also has to deal with a lot of figures and mathematics I decided to do something else (eh... play guitar) but never lost interest in cosmic subjects.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>You must have really enjoyed the cover to One Size Fits All then.  Have you been able to read all the star and constellation names?  I have only the CD and the print is so teeny tiny I can hardly make out anything!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:24 am 

[quote author=sabrina2 link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#27 date=08/22/03 at 02:10:57]<br><br>You must have really enjoyed the cover to One Size Fits All then.  Have you been able to read all the star and constellation names?  I have only the CD and the print is so teeny tiny I can hardly make out anything![/quote]<br><br>I remember greatly scrutinizing the LP cover when I first got it. There is some great stuff in the detail. I wish I kept it after I got the CD  :'(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:28 am 

[quote author=Baby Snakes link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#21 date=08/20/03 at 16:49:11]<br><br>... Bastard pigeons - rats with wings !![/quote]<br><br>You got that right, BS! My favorite pigeon-related quote comes from Mel Brooks' film The Producers - "Dirty, disgusting, filthy, lice-ridden birds!". <br>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:55 am 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#29 date=08/22/03 at 04:24:21]<br><br>I remember greatly scrutinizing the LP cover when I first got it. There is some great stuff in the detail. I wish I kept it after I got the CD  :'([/quote]<br><br>One planet has a chewy carmel center.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:12 am 

[quote author=sir galoot link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#26 date=08/21/03 at 16:08:11]<br>       <br>Image[/quote]<br><br>thank you very much, sir.  ;D<br>whatta comet. <br>wowie!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:22 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=15#24 date=08/21/03 at 15:08:54]Nice stories, miss Catpuke and mr. Flycoon! When I found out astronomy is not that romantic and also has to deal with a lot of figures and mathematics I decided to do something else (eh... play guitar) but never lost interest in cosmic subjects.<br><br>[/quote]<br>I guess you don't find stiff necks romantic. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:52 pm 

[quote author=sir galoot link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=0#10 date=08/10/03 at 23:24:43]And on another night the three made a near perfect triangle and were joined by the moon just above the horizon.[/quote]<br>That must've been a site to behold!  [sub](*ahem*)[/sub]  Not that I'm into Celestial Beauty (Gypsy Moon Dream) or anything like that.  ;)<br><br>
Quote:
Still though, nothing can ever beat the Hale-Bopp Comet...I doubt we will see anything like this again in the near future-but you never know.
<br>That was the only Comet I've ever seen in my entire Life.  I saw it with only my naked eyes but it was great!  I was walking into a friend of mine's house to be sketched by her boyfriend's art class and one of the artists pointed it out to me.  Pure Magick!  :)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:13 pm 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=0#14 date=08/20/03 at 12:05:33]anyway they taste bad. too crispy.[/quote]<br>(*LOL*)  Do what I do, Wowie...read the Fortune and then give the cookie to the dog!  He loves those nasty, "crispy" things.  :)<br><br>(*crunch*...*crunch*...*crunch*)...is all I hear from that dog's mouth!  ;)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:16 pm 

;D ::)meanwhile over here in the UK we haam been walking the poodle & waiting fer them fucckinh thingsiddh<br><br>thaat os the last note at de promena\de[url][/url]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:47 pm 

[quote author=GypsyDream link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=30#35 date=08/23/03 at 00:13:12]<br>(*LOL*)  Do what I do, Wowie...read the Fortune and then give the cookie to the dog!  He loves those nasty, "crispy" things.  :)<br><br>(*crunch*...*crunch*...*crunch*)...is all I hear from that dog's mouth!  ;)<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>[/quote]<br><br>gave potato chips to the dog once, he puked all over the place. my friends dog. i live with cats. they eat everything but i am aware now. no more cookies.<br>btw, mars days have arrived. i do not wonder bout a thing now. <br>wowie!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:12 pm 

Image<br>Image<br>Image<br>Image<br>discorparte, shifting, drifting.......mars is coming around<br>unbind your mind....freedom..freedom<br>something you never seen before..<br>its a mystery..spiders from mars all over the world<br>and they`re all made out of plastik..<br>is the brain police coming??<br><br>spider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:33 am 

Heard on the news the other day that black holes "hum" a B-Flat  57 octaves below middle C.<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:39 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=legends;num=1059863281;start=30#42 date=12/28/03 at 14:30:39]The study continues...<br><br>...Got time to play that note on yer ultra low bass guitar?[/quote]<br><br>that all well & good arkay, but those calcs are for earth bound waves; the wavelengths are actually travelling in space (a vaccum) so you're off by a factor of 3.239x10[sup]23[/sup]....<br><br>That means, for wavelengths below 200 nm (which approximates the extent of earth's atmosphere), the search is done for vacuum wavelength; for wavelengths above 200 nm, the search is done on air wavelengths. In the one-column wavelength output, wavelengths are given as they appear in the original data files, that is, vacuum wavelength below 200 nm and air wavelength above 200 nm. <br><br>In order to parallelize the spectrum calculations for a model atmosphere with a global velocity field, such as the expanding atmospheres of novae, supernovae or stellar winds, we need to take the mathematical character of monotonic velocity fields into account. For an initial condition at the smallest wavelength for expanding atmospheres and at the largest wavelength for contracting atmospheres this initial value problem must be discretized fully implicitly to ensure stability. <br><br>In the simplest case of a 1[sup]st[/sup] order discretization, the solution wavelength point i depends only on the results of the point i[sup] -1[/sup].  In order to parallelize the spectrum calculations, the wavelength cluster n[sup]i[/sup] computing the solution for wavelength point i must know the specific intensities from the cluster ni[sup]-1[/sup] computing the solution for point i [sup]-1[/sup]. This suggests a pipeline solution to the wavelength parallelization, transforming the matrix arrangement of nodes into a torus arrangement where data are sent along the torus' circumference. <br><br>Note: only the solution is affected by this, the calculation of the opacities <br>and rates remains independent between different wavelength clusters. <br><br>In this case, the wavelength parallelization works as follows: <br><br>Each cluster can independently compute the opacities and start the calculations (e.g., the  calculations, hereafter called the pre-processing phase), it then waits until it receives the specific intensities for the previous wavelength point, then it finishes the solution and immediately sends the results to the wavelength cluster calculating the next wavelength point (to minimize waiting time, this is done with non-blocking send/receives), then proceeds to calculate the rates etc. (hereafter called the post-processing phase and the new opacities for its next wavelength point and so on.<br><br><br>[tt]back to the d.b.[/tt]<br>