Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:44 am 

I have a few questions about reggae concerning Frank - and my clues so far.<br> <br>When did he start to use Reggae as a stylistic item? <br>- on OZ the band plays one calssic mothers song in a sort of like reggae style. That is quite intersting and early, because reggae (i.e. Marley) had not yet swept the western world. <br><br>Which was his first own song in reggae style? <br>- I think Lucille and Sy Borg on Joe`s Garage (true?)<br> <br>Why did he increase to use this style in the late seventies and even more in the eighties?<br>- I guess there`s many interviews where Frank talked about this, but I only remeber having read one of them. There he said he liked the time in between the bars, and Vinnie Colaiuta was the one to really made it fun. <br>But FZ almost made it satirical by using reggae links for his old songs or playing a 3/4 or 7/8 in a reggae rhythm or using a reggae vamp for his solos via hand signals. <br><br>AND NOW YOUR CLUES:  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:44 am 

thank you frederico!<br><br>But I still feel a satire or a parody is not all. The many times FZ used reggae vamps as a vehicle for his own soloing must be something different. There is parody of blues, too (Advance Romance, Lost in a Whirlpool...etc.). But Frank also came close to "serious blues". hmm.<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:05 am 

Didn't he tell one of his touring bands that they were going to play the entire set in reggae style, just a few days before the first gig and after weeks of rehearsing the material.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:06 am 

Frank Zappa goes to Jamaica anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:37 am 

Frank Marley....Bob Zappa ????<br><br>I like this, imagine the both of them (Bob and Frank) on ONE stage...playing together.<br>Frank conducting The Wailers and try's to let them play Be-Bop Tango....only on the internet.....<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:40 am 

Or even better: Bob Marley playing with the ORIGINAL Mothers Of Invention.....<br><br>Roy Estrada singing lead on ''No Woman No Cry''.......<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:33 pm 

"I like playing Raggae more than I like listening to it" - Frank

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:57 am 

[quote author=r_a_Z_Z link=board=legends;num=1033490661;start=0#11 date=10/06/03 at 01:33:51]"I like playing Raggae more than I like listening to it" - Frank[/quote]<br><br>I think reaggae is a musical genre in wich there hasn't been a big evolution...the only evolutions that I consider (starting from Marley who let it became a pop-genre and not only an etnical genre) are Mr.Zappa and The Police...those two gave to reggae-music something more, something new...<br><br>ciao.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:26 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=legends;num=1033490661;start=0#12 date=10/06/03 at 05:57:15]<br><br>I think reaggae is a musical genre in wich there hasn't been a big evolution...the only evolutions that I consider (starting from Marley who let it became a pop-genre and not only an etnical genre) are Mr.Zappa and The Police...those two gave to reggae-music something more, something new...<br><br>ciao.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Mizzu, you ever heard of Lee "Scratch" Perry? <br><br>Also don't forget reggae WAS an evolution  of jamaican music. from ska to rocksteady to reggae to steppers to dancehall to dub. (and other styles - soca etc)<br><br>Lee Perry did all these styles and imo was/is on a level with Zappa. Lee Perry is the mad, crazy proffesor of reggae and well worth checkin for esp during his Black Ark Studio days.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:27 am 

Ehhhhhhhh, Lee Perry is an innovator and a very important figure in the development of modern music, but Frank was such an accomplished and versatile composer, arranger, producer and guitarist I find it hard to really put anybody on his level.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:33 am 

no one in the 20th century even came a close second to zappa

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:26 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=legends;num=1033490661;start=15#15 date=10/09/03 at 03:33:51]no one in the 20th century even came a close second to zappa[/quote]<br>nobody in any century was/will be even close to frankie!<br> 8) 8) 8) 8) ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:36 am 

When I said on a level with Zappa I didn't mean in EVERY single aspect.<br><br>I was mainly thinking of Scratch's large volume of music released which probably does come close to zappa's, also I was thinking of his use of the equipment he used and the music he got out of it deserves alot of respect.<br>The result Scratch got was very different to Zappa I agree, but to me they are hitting on a similar level.<br><br>Also Zappa and Scratch seemed to eat, breathe and shit music. I see them both as Mad Professors of Music.<br>Of course they both had different musical goals and outlooks on life so they are very different musicians.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:19 pm 

city hall fred wrote:
...an evolution  of jamaican music from ska to rocksteady to reggae to steppers to dancehall to dub. (and other styles - soca etc)...

been on a rocksteady/rub.a.dub binge the last few months, jackie mitoo, dawn penn, cedrick brooks etc., heavy on the organ, trying to collect multiple versions of no no no...

lee perry doesn't get a lot exposure or airplay on the local reggae radio stations, rate shabba ranks as an equal to the scratchman in the range of styles he uses, although shabba leans too heavily on techno-production electronics

never heard of steppers before; ragamuffin (like eek-a-mouse) is the term used in north america

an equal to zappa...you been smokin' too many chillums, baba (or maybe not enough)

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:43 pm 

steppers is more of a fired up - dancing reggae - Black Uhuru is a good example.<br><br>Even tho' I say "on a level" I don't actually regard Scratch as "equal" to Zappa - I guess I know what I mean but probably no one else does. Rest assured folks I regard NO-ONE as good as Uncle Frank.<br><br>Slime, some good Lee Perry "fi ya to check" - Junior Murvin's "Police and Thieves" LP, Max Romeo's "War In A Babylon" LP,  and "Time Boom X De Devil Dead" by Lee Scratch Perry/Dub Syndicate.<br><br>Here's a quote I found re: Perry<br>Well this on now we name Lee Perry - Scratch. Hard fi please too. Very good producer. Lee Perry mek we play all some tune weh IMPOSSIBLE. Ca' sometime 'im say: Boy, me want you play that tune an' me want you do it that way deh. An we as musicians say: Lee Perry, it cyaan' work, as 'cording to measures an' bars, musically, it cyaan' work. An 'im say "No tell me foolishness man, It a fi work! An so me want it!"<br>An' we , the musicians now jus' look 'pon one another, an' is like we tell one another something. An we say "All right gentlemen, it CAN kinda work yunno, but mek we try a ting an' do it that way yah, through 'im want it". An' we go down to it, an' we play the tune. When you check it, musically, how we count bars an' beats an' so-and-so, it cyaan' work, but we mek it work. Impossible ting, Lee Perry, Scratch - very good producer. - 'Easy Snappin' Beckford.<br><br>If you go into Black Ark studio you figure you're sittin' into someone's study. It doesn't look nothin' like a studio until you hear it. Nobody knows what techniques Lee Perry used. He used a little small quarter-inch four track tape and he seemed to get about sixteen tracks stuffed into that four-track. Until today nobody knows what he did - Max Romeo<br><br>(now after I typed all that out , it is indeed time for the chillum - Bom Shankar ;D)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:12 am 

[quote author=City Hall Fred link=board=legends;num=1033490661;start=0#13 date=10/06/03 at 07:26:48]<br><br>Mizzu, you ever heard of Lee "Scratch" Perry? <br><br>Also don't forget reggae WAS an evolution  of jamaican music. from ska to rocksteady to reggae to steppers to dancehall to dub. (and other styles - soca etc)<br><br>Lee Perry did all these styles and imo was/is on a level with Zappa. Lee Perry is the mad, crazy proffesor of reggae and well worth checkin for esp during his Black Ark Studio days.<br> [/quote]<br><br>Never heard of him...I will!<br>I know about the "evolution" from jamaican music, and I know about the other styles involved with reggae...I was only considering the "reggae" style...of course dub come from it but...it's like talkin' about blues and rock n'roll so...I can't change my opinion, but I could say: Zappa, Police and Lee Perry now... <br><br>ciao.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:42 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=legends;num=1033490661;start=0#9 date=10/06/02 at 07:40:29]Or even better: Bob Marley playing with the ORIGINAL Mothers Of Invention.....<br><br>Roy Estrada singing lead on ''No Woman No Cry''.......<br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>HA HA HA HA,  if only that were to happen.....<br><br>I downloaded this really sweet live version of King Kong played behind a reggae beat.  It really IS a reggae song, since the bass line is syncopated.   I dont know when it was performed, though.  (Maybe it was on a bootleg)  <br><br>Zappa also dabbled wth ska, take the Lumpy Gravy theme from Broadway the Hard way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:31 am 

what are everyone's favorite reggae-based/reggae-esque zappa tunes? i know a girl who is a big reggae fan, and i have raised her interest in frank zappa. so i want to make a cd that has a couple of his reggae tunes as an introduction for her.