Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:08 am 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=legends;num=1033487176;start=105#109 date=11/24/02 at 19:41:37]<br><br>A couple of hours after I posted this I remembered that it was Musician Magazine, not GP...from around 80 or 81 I think...<br>[/quote]<br><br> I was trying to download that interview from this page:<br><br>http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughlin/art/index.html<br><br>...but of course that was about the only interview that wasn´t available anymore. Figures.... >:(<br><br>Well, i posted the link anyway, since there´s plenty to read for  McLaughlin fans.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:25 pm 

Well, here's mine, but I can't put a number on 'em and I can't limit them to only 5....<br><br>Ritchie Blackmore<br>F.Z. (kinda goes w/out saying, huh?)<br>Eddie Van Halen<br>Jeff Beck<br>David Gilmour<br>Jimi Hendrix<br>Steve Vai<br>Brian May<br>John Petrucci<br>Warren Haynes<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:51 pm 

this line could, and probably will run and run - heres my input and cause i cant count in no order of merit.<br><br>duane allman  <br>stevie ray vaughan<br>jan ackermam <br>martin simpson<br>andres segovia<br><br>limited to 5 with a mix. no segovia no nylon strings.no srv no use for superglue.no jan no fusion. no martin no brits. no duane no point. for me, the last bit of mountain jam is it, the beginning and the end, the alpha, the omega. but dry your eye - im moose poo.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:19 am 

after 8 pages and 100s of guitarist named not once has Rory Gallagher been mentioned. He is highly regarded in Ireland and worldwide by his fellow musicians. Tagically he died in 1995 at the age of 47. <br><br>Rory Gallagher was an Irish blues and rock guitarist, singer and songwriter. Born in Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal, on 2 March, 1948, he grew up in the city of Cork. Based in London during most of his 30 year career, he toured extensively, sold 30 million records, and had a worldwide following of loyal fans. He died in London at the early age of 47, on 14 June 1995, from complications following a liver transplant. Although he had suffered health problems for some time, he toured until falling seriously ill late in 1994. Gallagher was a master of the guitar and he was influenced heavily not only by rock and roll, but by blues and jazz also. <br><br><br>http://www.lastoftheindependents.com/Rory.htm

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:42 pm 

actually, although hes not in this thread once id like to put on the record that i have been rootin for rory elsewhere. so ill break my self imposed limit of 5 and add a six - rory gallagher.  countins for dummies anyhow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:11 pm 

[quote author=mungo link=board=legends;num=1033487176;start=105#112 date=11/27/02 at 16:51:03]<br>andres segovia<br><br> no segovia no nylon strings.<br>[/quote]<br><br> Chaconne from Violin Partita No. 2<br> (JS Bach, trans. Andres Segovia)<br><br>13 minutes that almost single-handedly revolutionized classical guitar...<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:42 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=legends;num=1033487176;start=105#116 date=11/30/02 at 08:52:36]Breaking with my intention to keep it only to FIVE dropped names after hearing Andres Segovia mentioned repeatedly I'd like to toss in Julian Bream and possibly direct your attention to his arrangement of Felix Mendelssohn's "Canzonetta, Song Without Words" -- something not many can do at all let alone do magically. ;D<br><br>--Bat<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks, Bat I'll definitely check it out...and right back at you I'll suggest Bream's "20th Century Guitar", featuring the works of 8 20th C composers who wrote pieces specifically for guitar, many in collaboration with Bream...<br><br>BTW, your statement, "something not many can do at all let alone do magically" speaks VOLUMES...<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:32 am 

josh homme<br><br>("The bronze" always reminds me of frank for some reason.)<br><br>and i like dave gilmour just fine.  ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:40 am 

[quote author=white_person link=board=legends;num=1033487176;start=90#104 date=11/23/02 at 23:33:40]<br><br>Hey, I'll trade ya some Gismonti for some Farlow[/quote]<br><br>Hey, I nevever thought that Gismonti was to be remembered here by anyone else but me or some other Brazilian... <br><br>He is a master guitarrist (never heard him playing electric). He plays a 10-string and a super-8string acoustic guitar, as well as piano and other instruments. But he is regarded internationally  as a great piano and guitar player... His works with Nana Vasconcellos are really cool... I've heard there is a movie (a documentary) in which Patrick Moraz is presented to Egberto and Moraz really sort of under-rate him... and next shot you see Egberto palying various instruments and Moraz's mouth hangs wide open in astonishment....  You should really try some Egeberto Gismonti as well other Brazilian musicians like Hermeto Pascoal or Heitor Villa-Lobos.<br>ARF....<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:46 am 

And once again......:<br><br>The Return Of Abnuceal's Topic<br><br>That this topic is still discussed, i would have thought that everybody had listed their Top 5, but no.......<br>Nevermind....keep 'em coming

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:06 pm 

I think I commited a glaring oversight on my picks<br><br>[glow=red,2,300]Frank Marino[/glow]<br><br>This guy has always been beyond amazing, and is still tearing it up, big-time. <br>Please visit one of the best fansites I have ever seen:<br><br>Image

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:27 am 

1. Ron Thal, www.bumblefoot.com<br>2. Joe Satriani<br>3. Jimi Hendrix<br>4. Steve Vai<br>5. Dweezil Zappa<br><br>That's what I think. If you don't know who Ron Thal is the find out, He's amazing. Just stay away from Uncool, it isn't very good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:33 pm 

Best 5 "non-Frank" guitarists, eh? <br>  1. John McLaughlin<br>  2. Django Reinhart<br>  3. Robert Fripp<br>  4. Steve Vai<br>  5. Me.......   [glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow] ;D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:58 pm 

I feel the need to add one more. <br>It has been just over 15 years since we lost another of the true greats; <br><br>Image<br>Click for an outstanding website.<br><br>Have any of you ever heard his instrumental '8 1/4' ?<br>Pure guitar bliss, I tell ya.<br><br>I have just uploaded it to my website. <br>Enjoy:<br>http://tangento.net/Snakefinger8point25.mp3<br><br> ;)<br><br><br>[move]  ;D  [glow=lime,2,300](11-10-05) Links updated[/glow]   ;D  [/move]

- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:39 am 

Is there anyone you'd put ahead of FZ? I've been listen to Rory Gallagher alot lately and he's diffinately a undiscovered great. He's a differnet style then FZ so it's hard to judge them. But Rory is the rawist guitist you'll ever hear. I'd put him a head of FZ only because Rory is Irish. Plus he plays a mean mandolin.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:51 am 

I think Tommy Bolin is fucking amazing. I have all his stuff... solo, with Deep Purple, James Gang, Billy Cobham etc... His 2 solo albums and the live stuff put out by The Tommy Bolin Archives are killer shit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:55 am 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=legends;num=1033487176;start=120#126 date=12/17/02 at 12:39:36]Is there anyone you'd put ahead of FZ? [/quote]<br><br>Nobody and I mean nobody!! There are many other guitar players that I do like out there and there a tons of greats but... FZ blows them all the fuck away. Nuff Said!!<br>FZ could play everything and anything and always never gave himself enough credit and his tones were never duplicated. Frank was one sick mother fucking axe murderer!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:40 pm 

mike stern<br>lenny breau<br>larry coryell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:32 pm 

for me:<br><br>1. jimi hendrix<br>2. reeves gabrels<br>3. david gilmour<br>4. mark knopfler<br>5. django reinhardt<br><br>not in this order.<br><br>Ciao

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:44 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1033487176;start=120#128 date=03/08/03 at 19:40:57]mike stern<br>lenny breau<br>larry coryell[/quote]<br><br>Have you got <br>"The Ed Palermo Big Band Plays Zappa"?<br><br>Mike Stern is on two tracks and he's fantastic.<br><br>That whole album is great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:25 pm 

[quote author=QOQUAQ link=board=legends;num=1033487176;start=120#130 date=03/10/03 at 00:44:44]<br><br>Have you got <br>"The Ed Palermo Big Band Plays Zappa"?<br><br>Mike Stern is on two tracks and he's fantastic.<br><br>That whole album is great.[/quote]<br><br><br>I have been hearing quite a bit about this thing, but it seems tough to find. <br>So I sauntered over to my old stand-by:<br><br>http://www.gemm.com/<br><br>...and damn if I didn't find a VG+ copy for $4.99 US !<br> ;D<br><br>GEMM is THE place to go if you are after out-of-print or difficult-to-find titles.<br><br>

- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:25 am 

Jimi Hendrix<br>John McLaughlin<br>Robert Fripp<br>Reeves Gabrels<br>Danny Gatton

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next