Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RAP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:42 pm 

What do people here think of rap. Be warned, one band I won't hear a word against is public enemy ( NANANAICANTHEARYOU!) I understand Frank wasn't to keen. Though that may be hearsay.

Post subject: Re: RAP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:21 pm 

The new Public Enemy album 'Revolverlution' is fantastic, It's a mixture of live tracks, remixes and new songs. Has anyone heard 'Son of a Bush'? Other great rap/hip hop I've been listening to recently includes Mr Lif, Atmosphere, Blackalicious (saw them live earlier in the year and they were awesome), DJ Shadow (also excellent live), Jeru tha Damaja, and I'm really looking forward to getting the new Cex album 'Tall, dark and handcuffed'. The last Gravediggaz album was kinda funny, but IMO the Wu haven't released a decent album in years. And Puff Daddy sucks a big dog's cock. ;D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:52 pm 

i remember him saying he liked the way they wore their shoes....this was waaaay back when they wore 'em with the laces undone, tongue of the shoe almost hanging out. He also mentioned he used to dress like them in high school--parka with the hood up and shades. THAT woulda been a sight to see! I like some of it..what gets the most attention is the gangsta style, with ho this and shoot you up inna drive-by that. it's not all like that. I do like eminem, a lot of his stuff i don't agree with, but it's his right to say. some is said in the context of a story, so it's characters.<br> old school ll cool j is great, along with some of the crazy stuff digital underground used to do. there are lots of them out there, worthy of a good honest listen. dismounting soapbox.............

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:36 am 

I think that the first rap song ever was Freak Out's Trouble Every Day...<br>ARF!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:36 am 

The reason I don't like rap is because I like singing as opposed to rapping.  I'm sure there's probably something to rap lyrics, but I never really listen to lyrics even when sung; I just listen to how they are sung because I'm a musician and not a poet.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:37 am 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=0#4 date=12/20/02 at 10:36:34]I think that the first rap song ever was Freak Out's Trouble Every Day...<br>ARF![/quote]<br><br><br>I think Gill Scott herron got there before Frank. The Revolution will not be televised got the credit for been the "first" rap song.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:33 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=0#9 date=12/20/02 at 17:35:56]If you say that Trouble Every Day is rap, you'd also have to include Dylan's It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) and Johnny Cash's A Boy Named Sue. That's kind of pushing it.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Not to mention Subterranean Homesick Blues...I've always thought that somewhere along the line a rap artist would re-make this one...hell, maybe I'LL do it.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:02 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=0#10 date=12/20/02 at 18:33:58]<br><br>Not to mention Subterranean Homesick Blues...I've always thought that somewhere along the line a rap artist would re-make this one...hell, maybe I'LL do it.[/quote]<br>Frank's "rapping"  on Dynah-Moe Hum too.  The "just get me wasted" part.  That section has a funk background as well.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:09 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=0#2 date=12/19/02 at 22:52:21]i remember him saying he liked the way they wore their shoes....this was waaaay back when they wore 'em with the laces undone, tongue of the shoe almost hanging out.[/quote]<br>Yeah, I remember him saying that when asked what he thought of Run-DMC.  He was responding to an interviewer on a music show where they had three or four music critics on every week and they would discuss new releases and would usually have a guest (Frank in this case).  Frank's comment got a good laugh from the crowd.  Can't remember the name of the show though.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:00 am 

i used to like rap when i was a kid in the 80's. that was good stuff. then it just got to violent and the type of people that seem to listen to it get this attitude like they are the badest person on the street. (not all though, but most) white suburban kids talking shit like they have it bad walking with limps and wearing bandanas. public enemy is still my favorite rap group though. i really like ice-t. he comes off a little harsh sometimes but i think he's a pretty decent guy with something to say. de la soul's first album,biz markie,run dmc, beastie boys,kool moe dee.. anything from the 80's is great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:25 am 

I'm not a fan of rap 'music' but if thats what people want to listen too let them. I do however find it quite annoying when black people complain about racism towards them and someone like 'Fat Joe' brings out an album which is extremely anti white people. I don't see that there is any justice in white people getting in trouble for saying the word 'nigger' but letting black people say whatever they want about white people. I know that it is only a small proportion of black people that are like this, and the rest of them are allright, but why do they all of the anti white black people have to be rappers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:08 am 

But he's a rapper, ISN'T HE!! and I didn't say he was black, did I.<br><br>do you preffer M&M wrappers, or Eminem the rapper. (see what I did there)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:31 am 

'If you don't stand up for somethin, you'll fall for anything.'<br><br>Talk about humorless sexism. The very form of the blues draws fire from some feminist critics for being an inherently sexist form. Furthermore it's questionable wether everyone would find Zappas lyrics funny, many would be deeply offended. As to wether hip pop music is valid... Look, its like this. If you listen to any of the genres Zappa worked in, you'll find that most of what is on the market is crap. That goes for rock, jazz ans classical. As for innovation, hip pop is innovative in a popular form. To look down on it is to ape those who admire Zappas classical work yet denigrate his rock work. <br><br>WORD(sic) ;)