Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: RAP
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:55 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=15#18 date=12/21/02 at 01:36:44]<br>Twenty years ago, the two things I hated most in this world were disco and Abba, because I associated them with a corporate, money-dominated lifestyle. Now that I'm older and not blinded by rage, I can actually listen to them without wanting to smash the speakers with a baseball bat. Does that mean I've lost my edge? Probably. But I happen to think I appreciate all music more now because I don't haul around that ballast of rage anymore.<br><br>I don't want to get preachy; but I've learned that it isn't worth it to hate something because you associate it with something else you hate. Life's too short for that.[/quote]<br><br>Good words, Mental...I don't think it means you've lost your edge at all, but rather you've gained an edge. I always remember the words of Bob Dylan in the song My Back Pages..."but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."<br><br>My own musical tastes have expanded exponentially by losing the rage and pretense associated with "things I didn't like". Right on, brother!<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:25 pm 

This is a little piece of conversation out of ''The Last Boyscout'' with Bruce Willis.....<br><br>Bad guy to Bruce:<br><br>''You think you're so cool, but just once I would like to hear you scream in pain...''<br><br>Bruce:<br>''Play some rap music...''

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:22 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=30#36 date=12/23/02 at 01:25:47]This is a little piece of conversation out of ''The Last Boyscout'' with Bruce Willis.....<br><br>Bad guy to Bruce:<br><br>''You think you're so cool, but just once I would like to hear you scream in pain...''<br><br>Bruce:<br>''Play some rap music...''[/quote]<br><br>I got that quote on CD it was used as an intro by a punkband called Lagwagen, after this quote they play an own interpretation of "Mama said Knock You Out" from LL Cool J.  Now, that's what I call a rap song.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:16 am 

[quote author=homewrecker link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=30#34 date=12/22/02 at 07:31:28]'If you don't stand up for somethin, you'll fall for anything.'<br><br>Talk about humorless sexism. The very form of the blues draws fire from some feminist critics for being an inherently sexist form. Furthermore it's questionable wether everyone would find Zappas lyrics funny, many would be deeply offended. As to wether hip pop music is valid... Look, its like this. If you listen to any of the genres Zappa worked in, you'll find that most of what is on the market is crap. That goes for rock, jazz ans classical. As for innovation, hip pop is innovative in a popular form. To look down on it is to ape those who admire Zappas classical work yet denigrate his rock work. <br><br>WORD(sic) ;)[/quote]<br><br>WTF is this guy and where does he get off on talking about shit that he obviously has no idea about! GET A LIFE!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:17 am 

[quote author=homewrecker link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=30#42 date=12/25/02 at 03:16:54]<br><br>WTF is this guy and where does he get off on talking about shit that he obviously has no idea about! GET A LIFE![/quote]<br><br>Thats just your opinion man...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:07 am 

[quote author=homewrecker link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=30#34 date=12/22/02 at 07:31:28]'If you don't stand up for somethin, you'll fall for anything.'<br><br>Talk about humorless sexism. The very form of the blues draws fire from some feminist critics for being an inherently sexist form. Furthermore it's questionable wether everyone would find Zappas lyrics funny, many would be deeply offended. As to wether hip pop music is valid... Look, its like this. If you listen to any of the genres Zappa worked in, you'll find that most of what is on the market is crap. That goes for rock, jazz ans classical. As for innovation, hip pop is innovative in a popular form. To look down on it is to ape those who admire Zappas classical work yet denigrate his rock work. <br><br>WORD(sic) ;)[/quote]<br><br>Well said, homewrecker!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:11 am 

Well, my only interest is to do a swell show for you folks. ;D

Post subject: re: RAP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:21 pm 

check out snoop dogggy dogg's [font=arial black]shizzolator[/font]  ;D<br><br>Image[img width=136 height=189]http://www.asksnoop.com/images/asksnoop_right.jpg[/img][tt]<---clik me[/tt]<br><br>it don't work for every web page, but cut/paste this one into snoop's shizzolate that shit! box:<br><br>http://www.davemcnally.com/Lyrics/FrankZappa/Apostrophe/  <---DON'T clik me...cut & paste into the Shizzolator<br><br>"Tha dude be like, Peekaboo" ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:05 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=0#14 date=12/21/02 at 01:36:44]But I happen to think I appreciate all music more now because I don't haul around that ballast of rage anymore.<br>[/quote]<br>I feel pretty much the same. There was a time when I would have bagged Rap music all over town (like I did with disco, bee gees, etc). But right now I just don't like it very much, although I've heard some things that sound good enough to be foot-tappin' to. If it makes someone else happy then its doin' its job. Generally, I got plenty of other music I'd rather listen to in the little spare time I have.<br><br>One thing that makes me laugh though is that stupid arm-swinging pointing-at-the-ground dance that rappers all do, even the unco-ordinated fat ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:30 am 

some old school rap is okay.  some of the guys are very talented with words, but calling rap "music" is pushing it for me.  music is played by musicians with instruments, not some guy hitting play on a drum machine with sounds sampled in.  not to mention taking former hits and remixing them so the untalented bastards can make more money than the original artists ever dreamed of.  if these guys are so talented how come the can't come up with their own shit?  hollar back now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:48 pm 

very well said flammy, welcome aboard.  i like your name, but don't forget to practice your ratamacues as well!   ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:08 am 

[center]Rap Mogul 'Suge' Knight Sent Back to Prison[/center]<br><br>[font=times new roman]LOS ANGELES - Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight was sent back to prison for 10 months on Thursday for punching a parking attendant (Ahmet?) at a Hollywood nightclub, state corrections officials said. Knight, who was arrested last month over the incident, was found in violation of his parole after a daylong hearing into the matter at a Los Angeles jail.<br><br>Attorneys for the 315-pound Knight had vowed to clear him, saying that he had "never touched anybody" during the altercation. The incident happened outside the White Lotus Club, a popular celebrity hangout that is frequented by Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, actress Jennifer Garner and singers Jewel and Jessica Simpson.<br><br>The arrest was Knight's second for parole violations. The 37-year-old "gangsta" rap mogul was arrested in December and spent 61 days in jail. He was cleared of most of the allegations against him, and ordered to perform community service. Knight was paroled from prison in 2001 for an earlier assault conviction.<br><br>A spokesman for Knight's record label Death Row Records could not be reached for comment. The lawyer that represented him before the parole board was also not immediately available.  [/font]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:47 pm 

[quote author=flammaster link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=30#41 date=07/29/03 at 13:49:34]just as Frank put it...It's wall paper.<br><br>Plain and simple it's Garbage.  Disco hasn't died it's just Called Rap (Retards Attemting Poetry).<br><br>All it is to me is people with absolutley no talent or knowlege whatsoever Getting rich off other stupid people.<br><br>These people "Can't speak thier own fucking language<br><br>They Can't Read it anymore They can't write it anymore<br><br>your language your language.'<br><br>Nuff said.<br><br>it doesn't even resemble Music.<br><br>it's just idiots spewing delusional diatribe so they can make a buck.<br><br>we have a Music store here in San Lorenzo Called Rasputins and they have an area in front of the store that is marked off.<br><br>It's there so all these "artists" can pedal thier shoddy wares to you outside the store.  (rappers)<br><br>They hit you up like running a gaunlet and when ever I go to buy CD's i feel like i am being panhandled. (agressively).<br><br>rap? No, I do not like it.[/quote]<br><br>Hey now! You don't have to be like that towards rap.  I know that it sucks dealing with the frikin' hip-hop attitude and what is evolved to, but don't take it out on the music because your scared of a hip-hop dude that's hangin out side of a record store.  <br><br>Most rap is pretty bad tho, especialy now-a-days.  Good stuff like Public Enemy, Ice-T, Boogie Down Productions, NWA, Run-DMC and a few others, are all funky and with some-what cheezy but interesting lyrics.  Perhaps cuz it has alot of old funk and classic rock that I realy dig sampled in it.  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:03 am 

[quote author=Butch link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=45#45 date=08/03/03 at 22:47:27]cuz it has alot of old funk and classic rock that I realy dig sampled in it.[/quote]<br>thats my point, why can't they come up with their own shit?  mc hammer made more $ with cant touch this than rick james did with his original superfreak.  thats bs imo.  the list goes on and on.  a cover tune is one thing but this is another.  these guys have no musical talent, some of them have clever word patterns.  with stupid fucking baseball hats all crookit'.... why do all these clowns dress like they're athletes with oversized jerseys?  laughable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:08 am 

[quote author=Mr. Pompous Nincompoop link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=45#47 date=08/04/03 at 09:27:51]There is a rap song in FZ's catalogue? Do YOU know what song it is?[/quote]<br>promiscuous? (sic?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:14 am 

Ever see the movie CB4, with Chris Rock?  Funny shit.  They realy take a poke at NWA's straight outta Compton, and the whole gangsta attitude.  It realy is funny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next