Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: RAP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:44 pm 

I have a very low tolerance for rap and anything associated with it. I grew up when Moron Television/Money Television/Mindless Television  (aka MTV) was jumping all over the rap garbage and pumping it out like mad. It hasn't really changed. I honestly think of most rap as a disgrace to music and art. Granted, I do see the significance in the older rap artists and what they were doing. But it wasn't they way it is now. They were having fun, just doing something that meant something to them, and not taking themselves too seriously. That's all changed... There is a handful of talented people in rap, but they aren't musically talented. Rapping is not a musical performance. There are a few rap artists that I don't despise as others, if only for the novelty value of a few of their songs or from laughing along with a few things they do, or even out of respect for a very slight few of them. But overall, as an entire genre, I hate it. <br><br>I've been exposed to it for over half of my life. I remember back in middle school a lot of my friends were getting into rap, and I seemed to be the only one laughing at it and calling it trash. Nowadays a good deal of my friends are fans of rap - some have even dabbled in rapping, themselves. I can't really take it seriously, but to each their own. My brother and sister both were big fans of rap for a while and I was exposed to it a lot when I still lived at home with my parents. They still like a little rap, but have moved on to liking other things. My sister has developed some especially great tastes since I've turned her onto Frank Zappa. <br><br>My next-door neighbor finds it necessary to blast rap at illegal volumes at least 4 or 5 times a week, if not more. I have no tolerance for this fucking shit. I play my music pretty loud, but not so loud that it is audible through the walls of my apartment. One of these days I may have to go over there and act out one of his rap songs, and "bust a cap in dat nigga".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:49 am 

It's pure shit!

Post subject: Re: RAPE
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:43 pm 

[quote author=BatchainPhase3 link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=75#79 date=12/04/05 at 20:31:20]<br>Why do people just love to bathe their eardrums in repetition? Well, they do and record companies know that. "If they liked that one we know they'll like this one because it's the same thing." A few little things stuck in here, a few in there. It's all new! Maybe if you're drunk enough and had enough "K" or you're "rollin' with the Es" it's imaginable you want to hear the same thing for hours and hours and hours. That's what made Disco sound so fucking fantastic: huge rooms full of drunks snorting cocaine. The same principle at work: Lots and lots of the same shit for hours and hours and hours and you love the comfort of that feeling of time standing still. Corporations know how to sell to huge markets because they've researched human behavior better than anyone.<br>I won't even touch on video and music because I'm getting very sleepy and that's just another extension of that same principle and I already hear the thunder of those about to pounce on me for my unholy words. :o<br><br>--Batchain ;)[/quote]<br><br>Hey Bat!<br><br>Image<br><br>You've probably got wood right about now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:58 pm 

I like the Beastie Boys a whole lot.  The Beastie Boys also love Frank Zappa.  I also like A Tribe Called Quest.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:17 pm 

Bat you are sure right about that!<br><br>I think they just know how stupid people really are.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:12 pm 

[quote author=BatchainPhase3 link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=75#79 date=12/04/05 at 20:31:20]Why do people just love to bathe their eardrums in repetition?[/quote]Garden hose. I was working in a school in London in 1991 and I had access to a decent (for the time) synthesiser and an early version of Cubase on a Mac Classic (my eyes are watering) in the music department. I programmed an instrumental version of one of my songs with some not too tricky time changes into Cubase and played it back on the synthesiser. I was having a ball and the head of music was impressed. Anyway, I had taken a fancy to one of the secretaries and I asked her to listen to it. "But, you can't dance to it?" Needless to say, I instantly lost interest in her.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:35 pm 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=75#83 date=12/04/05 at 23:12:51]"But, you can't dance to it?" Needless to say, I instantly lost interest in her.[/quote]<br>Hehe. My best mate says "Wheres the words?" or "I can't dance to this!". The only thing we agree on is the Chili Peppers. That's just how some people are, they like music for specific reasons. I love musci because off all the things you can do with it, including dancing. You can dance to anything if you're rhythmicly informed, as opposed to rhythmicly ignorant, even the Be-Bop Tango!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:36 pm 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=75#84 date=12/04/05 at 23:35:24]You can dance to anything if you're rhythmicly informed, as opposed to rhythmicly ignorant, even the Be-Bop Tango! [/quote]Yes indeed, Stravinsky's ballets are not logical contradictions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:48 pm 

yea really you should have responded to her by saying you can't dance to it but I can. <br><br> I have a recording I did with a band at this show and i instigated a Jazz Riot so we could have some fun playing some out there fusion stuff.<br><br>just when it starts getting nice and jazzy you can hear some dumbfuck yell out <br>"Bring on the Singer"!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:35 am 

[quote author=BatchainPhase3 link=board=legends;num=1040352177;start=75#89 date=12/05/05 at 03:35:02]<br>Was it Debbie? The one in "The Real FZ Book"? If it wasn't you still owe it to yourself to get to know about her.<br><br>--Bat ;)[/quote]<br><br><br>No this was from a band I was in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm 
Banned

ewanpovey wrote:
I understand Frank wasn't to keen.

http://home.online.no/~corneliu/curmudge.htm

JON WINOKUR - Do you like rap?

FRANK ZAPPA - If it wasn't for rap there would be no poetry in America. I think we went directly from Walt Whitman to Ice-T.

Isaac

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 am 

Let me put it to you this way.
There is Rap I like (RUN DMC, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys)
Then there is Rap I don't like, especially Rap that degrades women, glorifies violence and preaches hatred.
I guess I'm an O.G. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:10 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Let me put it to you this way.
There is Rap I like (RUN DMC, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys)
Then there is Rap I don't like, especially Rap that degrades women, glorifies violence and preaches hatred.
I guess I'm an O.G. :wink:

Then there is LHC Rap which deals with Finding Higgs' Boson.
The music sucks however it has likely the most scientific lyrics in the history of rap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 am 

Regarding the first rapper...I think it was Blowfly or Dolemite really. Gil laid the groundwork for conscious rap though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:21 pm 

Those interested might like the Cannibal Ox album "Cold Vein." Good rapping, but AMAZING production by El-P of Company Flow fame. Nasty beats and nasty time signatures. More scary than funky most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:50 pm 

Rappers paradise (original) is good/funny.

DZK underground guy is very clever and talented.

Soulja boiy bull shit is rubbish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next