Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: TIME TRAVEL
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:45 am 

Uuuuuhm, im in the teens and being horny everyday must be wonderful, or wait it is....<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:10 am 

I remember growing up I saw this movie called "Time After Time".  I thought it had a great premise and story. At least I remember it being good. About a week ago I happened to be in BlockBuster and saw it and excitedly rented it. But I got home, popped it in and was horrified. It's terrible. It's too bad though, I remember it being so much better. Same thing with "THe Goonies". I practically grew up on that movie and watching it now I shudder on the lamer parts. Anyway, anyone ever heard/seen "Time After Time"? I did have a theory though abot time travel. It may sound physchotic because I don't think I'll be able to explain it well. Ok, picture the H.G. Wells Time Machine. Ok got the image? Well, if time travel where possible in that thing, wouldn't you you (the time traveler) be instantly brought to your time of desire, but, basically having to sit in that SAME spot for years and years frozen? Think about it. If you traveled time, time would flash past for YOU, but not for everyone else. So, it would appear as though YOU are frozen in one spot for years and years. This make sense to everyone? If not, then, I may just be fucking insane. <br><br><br>Image<br>Plot Outline: H.G. Wells pursues Jack the Ripper to the 20th Century when the serial murderer uses the future writer's time machine to escape his time period.<br><br>Cast overview, first billed only: <br>Malcolm McDowell      ....       H. G. Wells<br>David Warner      ....       Jack the Ripper (John Lesley Stevenson)<br>Mary Steenburgen      ....       Amy Robbins<br><br>By the way, Mary Steenburgen has to be the worst fucking actress I have ever seen, specifically because of her awful performance in this movie. Ugh... >:(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:25 pm 

I went back in time once, shit nothing was the same.I got lost and wandered around for centuries until i reconized anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:52 pm 

Time Travel is all very fine, but the real question would be :<br><br>"At which moment of your life would you like to go back ?"<br><br>

Post subject: re: time
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:49 pm 

why is the z-forum clock running 30 minutes slow ¿

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:01 pm 

It's been moved to Newfoundland.....<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:18 am 

I would be 16 yrs old.  I would be listening to the song Absolutely Free on the radio for the first time.  I would then find the Motherfucking Album it was on and proceed to buy every Mothers/Zappa album in the remainders bin at Woolworths and thereafter buy every other Mothers/Zappa album i could get my greedy paws on.  And I would never let go of any of them no matter how much I did or didn't undestand them.  By now I would have digested all the things I should have learned from his music and would now have an evolved understanding of the subject matter and have put the relevant parts into practice in my life.  Phew!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:26 am 

[quote author=SabrinaII link=board=legends;num=1044513758;start=30#37 date=09/05/04 at 08:18:44]I would be 16 yrs old.  I would be listening to the song Absolutely Free on the radio for the first time.  I would then find the Motherfucking Album it was on and proceed to buy every Mothers/Zappa album in the remainders bin at Woolworths and thereafter buy every other Mothers/Zappa album i could get my greedy paws on.  And I would never let go of any of them no matter how much I did or didn't undestand them.  By now I would have digested all the things I should have learned from his music and would now have an evolved understanding of the subject matter and have put the relevant parts into practice in my life.  Phew![/quote]<br><br><br>My frequent dreams of time travels also involve a significant part what you described. <br>But furthermore I would make time travels for:<br><br>1 - not taking my Vespa in that night of May 1977;<br>2 - not giving up to some sexual relations with some girls at the very beginning of 70s (I was too shy in those far times);<br>3 - keeping with a girl I decided to break with for a lot of reasons (now those reasons appear so stupid);<br>4 - not taking a certain decision in february or march 1977;<br>5 - not taking the decision which brought me far from my hometown.<br><br>We life just once, that's why I strongly need time travel !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:35 am 

Good monster.  Hey!  Glad to see you back.  Too bad we can't do anything about these things.  But today isn't too bad either.<br><br>Un Zappa related:<br><br>I would never have gotten married when I did.<br>If I had I wouldn't have stayed with him as long as I did.<br>Instead I would have traveled and followed up on all the things I was interested in, not just Zappa.<br>If I had stayed with him for that whole time, when we got divorced I would have taken the house instead of the money. <br>I would have told the relatives who were pressuring me to convert to Xtianity to go fuck themselves.  Well, maybe not that strongly, but I would have suggested they clam up.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:50 am 

I would have disregarded all the "advice" that was pounded into me and followed my own instinct--  the moment I graduated high school I would have bolted out of my home town as if my hair was on fire and never looked back. <br>I think I would have put my late teens through late twenties to much better use elsewhere. But what the fuck? My life's pretty interesting right now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:02 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=legends;num=1044513758;start=30#30 date=08/30/04 at 17:52:08]Time Travel is all very fine, but the real question would be :<br><br>"At which moment of your life would you like to go back ?"[/quote]<br><br>You posed an excellent question.<br>First answer: never go back and manage to remain in a very good period.<br>If I could back in time I would change some of my decisions as I wrote in the former post.<br>But this would change so deeply the course of my life that it would be senseless to say "I would manage to stay from the second part of 1987 up to winter 1988", for example because if I could change the events that really changed my real life in 1977 I would evolve differently. Who knows what I can be in 1988 after having "corrected" some of my "key" events in 1977 ?<br><br>Lumpy, you're right. It's a big mess in my head.<br>But probably we all have here a certain common answer: never go back and remain some years before Frank Zappa's cancer.<br><br>Nevertheless, I think I would be happy of having an opportunity for time travel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:24 am 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=legends;num=1044513758;start=30#38 date=09/05/04 at 08:26:49]<br><br><br>My frequent dreams of time travels also involve a significant part what you described. <br>But furthermore I would make time travels for:<br><br>1 - not taking my Vespa in that night of May 1977;<br>2 - not giving up to some sexual relations with some girls at the very beginning of 70s (I was too shy in those far times);<br>3 - keeping with a girl I decided to break with for a lot of reasons (now those reasons appear so stupid);<br>4 - not taking a certain decision in february or march 1977;<br>5 - not taking the decision which brought me far from my hometown.<br><br>We life just once, that's why I strongly need time travel ![/quote]<br><br>We have some similarities...<br><br>I, too, would say #2 and for the same reason<br>I, too, would have refrain from taking my car in some occasions (2 hits in 1 week-end in 77 with my Capri)<br><br>I would add...<br>[font=Verdana]I would have stayed with Offenbach in 74, even though they were not the kind of guys I liked to be with at that time (I was an Hippie-kind-of-guy, they were absolute Rockers). At least, I would have made myself a name in a certain "milieu" and maybe today I would live my life as a musician. But I would have quit them anyway.<br>I would have probably stayed single. Not that I don't love my wife and all that. Just because I realised with time that I was the kind of guy to stay single. I'm OK by myself.[/font]<br>But, of course, I would not have known the rest as it happened along the way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:33 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=legends;num=1044513758;start=30#43 date=09/05/04 at 10:24:50]I would have probably stayed single. Not that I don't love my wife and all that. Just because I realised with time that I was the kind of guy to stay single. I'm OK by myself. [/quote]<br>Mil, you better pray she never reads this, or no doubt you're doomed. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:38 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=legends;num=1044513758;start=30#44 date=09/05/04 at 10:33:14]<br>Mil, you better pray she never reads this, or no doubt you're doomed. ;D[/quote]<br><br>Don't worry, she won't  ;D   ;D   ;D<br><br>[sub](I may be a little stupid at time but I'm not idiot  ;D  )[/sub]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:19 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=legends;num=1044513758;start=30#43 date=09/05/04 at 10:24:50]<br><br>We have some similarities...<br><br>I would add...<br>[font=Verdana]I would have stayed with Offenbach in 74, even though they were not the kind of guys I liked to be with at that time (I was an Hippie-kind-of-guy, they were absolute Rockers). At least, I would have made myself a name in a certain "milieu" and maybe today I would live my life as a musician. But I would have quit them anyway.<br> [/quote]<br><br>Hey Mij, Maximum respect man, I loved to go to offenbach concerts always a blast. Do you remember playing an outdoor concert in New Brunswick with Plume LaTraverse ? Must of been around 74-76 or so. If i could go back in time i'd go back and plan marriage to a girl i met at that concert. She was from Rimouski for christ sakes! Whoooooo could imagine !<br><br>"Ah Yoiye, Ca'm fait mal, à mon coeur d'Animal!" God! the blues have not been the same since those terminal words! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:45 am 

Well, I spent some time thinking if I was to reply to you, Acadian, about my brief stay with Offenbach. cause it was not really a pleasant one. Well, do what you want with it...<br><br>The story...<br>In August 74, a guy called Michel (Will) Lamothe, son of the famous Willie Lamothe, came to my house, in St-Hyacinthe, and asked if I'd like to join Offenbach. It seemed, at the time, that their regular Guitar man, Johnny, was having some sort of crisis that made him play awfully (lack of inspiration). At that time, they were in France, finishing a film made by Claude Faraldo, called "Tabarnac". I mention that I'm not in the film.<br>I went and my stay lasted 2 months. I was there when they recorded "Québec Rock", "Promenade sur Mars" et "A l'envers" on which I played, but when I left, they erased my part (which is OK). I was living in Garches (37 Avenue Henri-Bergson). <br>Why did I leave ? Because we were worlds apart. I was listening to things like "Overnite sensation" by Zappa and they were still in Heavy rock. What I had in mind couldn't be compatible with what they had in mind. And the boys were at each others. Even to the point of fighting between themselves. So, 2 months later, back home I go ! I couldn't stand that "ambiance". And neither could they cause 2 years later, they split. Gerry and Johnny went on with Offenbach. Will and Wezo went on to form Corbeau.<br>I thought I could do my own with some guys I knew back then. It didn't happen as I thought it would. And with time, I can't help but think that, for once in my life, I could have been a bit hypocrite and hide my feelings about their music and their behaviors and still go on with them, for at least the time needed to gain some recognition amongst peoples in the business. And THEN leave and go on my own.<br>That was probably THE occasion and I blew it cause I was being too honest with myself.<br><br>Now you know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:48 pm 

[quote author=Mij link=board=legends;num=1044513758;start=45#47 date=09/08/04 at 14:45:22]I was listening to things like "Overnite sensation" by Zappa and they were still in Heavy rock. <br><br>I blew it cause I was being too honest with myself.[/quote]<br><br>A common occurance, I'm sure. Zappa has a way of making a musician disatisfied with everything else. it's like once you know the truth, you can't un-know it. I went through a few years of that. Well, several. There is still a part of me that wants to dig in and take off from where Zappa left off in the early 80's, but I've come to terms with it being OK if I don't. Frank's music is always in me, and at some point in time I'll release some of my Zappa influenced music on a CD if I feel it fits with the overall project I'm up to at the time. But I won't let not being able to do Zappa quality stuff on a regular basis cripple me from doing everything else, which is what I did for a long time. And I'll never waste any more of my time trying to find local guys that wanna do that kind of stuff. Even if I do, where the hell am I going to play it? I bet Project/Object HAS to go on tour because how much Zappa stuff can you do on a regular basis in your home town? Life is too short to let perfectionism contract me into a standstill. I just gotta use what I get from Frank as a spice instead of the main course, and just be glad that SOMEBODY once did the impossible and enjoy it and celebrate it without letting it make me a musical Grinch, snarling at the stupid fucking peasants that don't get it. <br>Image<br>Of course, I reserve the right to go back to snarling at the unelightened musical pod people from time to time with no previous warnings, apologies, or limits on the depth of my contempt for them. But no more than 2 days at a time. I have stuff to get done. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:06 pm 

Well, swiftkicknow, music difference was not the only reason why I didn't stayed with them, but sure it was an important one. The main reason is that we were really worlds apart. Me a trippy-hippy, them Rockers. I don't dislike or hate them though. They were honest to themselves as I was on my side to myself.<br><br>But I did missed an occasion to enter that limited circle of professional musicians. At my age, it won't come again. I'd just like to have money to make my music at home via computers.  <br> 8)<br><br>Just for the story, I did see Zappa in Paris when I was there. And there was a lot of policemen around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next