Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:26 pm 

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20060224/114083424000.html<br><br>Good for them!  Fuck the HOF!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:40 pm 

Yea that rocks. Except for the fact that this is how the Sex Pistols have always made thier dough. It kinda' cancels' itself out. PIL had it's momments, but the Pistols' have a major lack of talent. Just cultural significance. Which should be down played in this day in age. I don't want anymore Green Day's or Box Car Racer's. Punk ended with Black Flag. The Dead Kennedy's was as good as it get's for punk. Die punk.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:32 am 

I don't like the Pistols at all, so I don't give a damn. Yeah, they were probably REALLY IMPORTANT for music in general (as has been spoon-fed to us by rock critics for 25+ years). Too bad their only album is a piece of shit. <br><br>The Clash were cool, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 am 

the sex pistols were fucking talentless, manufactured crap. The hype and romance surrounding them is so over the top it's ludicrous. They were terrible in every department and i think there's a difference between being rebellious punks and  annoying twats, the sex pistols were definitely the latter...more gunk thank punk i'm afraid

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:30 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#2 date=02/27/06 at 05:32:41]I don't like the Pistols at all, so I don't give a damn. Yeah, they were probably REALLY IMPORTANT for music in general (as has been spoon-fed to us by rock critics for 25+ years). Too bad their only album is a piece of shit. <br><br>The Clash were cool, though.[/quote]<br><br>What that man said..... 8)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:31 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#3 date=02/27/06 at 05:51:09]the sex pistols were fucking talentless, manufactured crap. The hype and romance surrounding them is so over the top it's ludicrous. They were terrible in every department and i think there's a difference between being rebellious punks and  annoying twats, the sex pistols were definitely the latter...more gunk thank punk i'm afraid[/quote]<br><br><br>....and what that man said as well... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#5 date=02/27/06 at 06:31:03]<br><br><br>....and what that man said as well... 8)[/quote]<br><br>it shows you how credible the hall of fame is when they were going to induct the sex pistols. Not that i ever had any repsect for halls of fame but this just shows how irrelevant they are. The sex pistols did absolutely nothing for music whatsoever.<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:38 am 

They were and always will be imo, totally talentless wankers. I was reading an article in a mag recently by Malcolm Mclaren (god knows why, maybe I was bored) and he apparently thinks they were shite as well (as far as musical ability goes). I know there's no love lost between him and the Shit Pistols, but even at their height if fame, he still admits he thought they were shite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:57 am 

PIL was okay, I kinda like that "Metal Box" album. <br><br>I still don't care a lot about punk music in general,with a few exceptions (The Clash did some cool stuff, I also like the Dead Kennedys in small doses). I do like the DIY ethics of punkrock (but that also wasn't all that revolutionary in hindsight, as jazz musicians had already been putting out private-pressed albums for decades) and the fact that you didn't need to be a virtuoso musician to record albums anymore. <br><br>What does suck is that punk actually made it uncool to be able to play more than three chords or a guitar solo. That attitude is still prevalent in rock journalism almost three decades later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:06 am 

Oh get this...<br><br>I posted this on another forum and someone told me he saw Johnny Rotten on one of those fake courtroom shows getting sued by his former drummer for wages.<br><br><br>...can you say Whore?<br><br>Feckin wankers is right!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:18 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#9 date=02/27/06 at 06:57:28]PIL was okay, I kinda like that "Metal Box" album. <br><br>I still don't care a lot about punk music in general,with a few exceptions (The Clash did some cool stuff, I also like the Dead Kennedys in small doses). I do like the DIY ethics of punkrock (but that also wasn't all that revolutionary in hindsight, as jazz musicians had already been putting out private-pressed albums for decades) and the fact that you didn't need to be a virtuoso musician to record albums anymore. <br><br>What does suck is that punk actually made it uncool to be able to play more than three chords or a guitar solo. That attitude is still prevalent in rock journalism almost three decades later.[/quote]<br><br>Yeah I agree, I have never been a fan of the kind of "punk" that the Sex Pistols stood for. I love the stuff that the Clash were doin though. <br>I think there was much better music around to listen to at that time, than those gonks, and the only reason The Sex Pistols were more prevalent is because of their "notoriety", (if you can call it that). Had nothing to do with their musical abilities. They were manufactured anyway by Malcom McLaren, weren't they..? Whats hardcore about that?! Hahaha!<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:24 am 

[quote author=FLAM link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#0 date=02/26/06 at 21:26:08]http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20060224/114083424000.html<br><br>Good for them!  Fuck the HOF![/quote]<br>the sex pistols were created by a designer, he paid them to wear his clothes on stage, i guess that means they're a boy band used for big buissnes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:26 am 

At least the Monkees had a couple of decent tunes. Are they inducted yet?  ;D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:42 am 

[quote author=masterofnuthin link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#13 date=02/27/06 at 09:24:03]<br>the sex pistols were created by a designer, he paid them to wear his clothes on stage, i guess that means they're a boy band used for big buissnes[/quote]<br><br>Exactly. Thats what made me laugh, when John Lydon appeared on "Im A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" and a million hardcore Pistols/PIL fans screamed "Sell Out". He's been a sell out from the word go!<br><br>"After the fireworks of the previous two series, we couldn’t wait to see what the latest crop of stars had in store for us. John Lydon provided plenty of entertainment – although ITV bosses weren’t happy with his four-letter outbursts. When asked about the show, he quipped: “The odds are that we are all going to kill each other.” Happily no one did, but nothing could stop the former Sex Pistol walking out of the show, saying: “I live in a very different world, no disrespect to this game but I play a bigger one - or a smaller one."<br><br>What a tosser. :P<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:45 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=15#15 date=02/27/06 at 09:42:14]<br>He's been a sell out from the word go![/quote]<br><br>That's never been hidden. Ever seen this? <br><br>Image<br><br>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008G2748/002-6301175-6929649?v=glance&n=130<br><br>If not...DO! ;D You'll love it.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:48 am 

[size= 1] i quite like the pistols [/size] (he whispered)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:37 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=15#16 date=02/27/06 at 09:45:38]<br><br>That's never been hidden. Ever seen this? <br><br>Image<br><br>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008G2748/002-6301175-6929649?v=glance&n=130<br><br>If not...DO! ;D You'll love it.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>No, I aint never seen it. Heard loads about it but never watched it. I may just have a peek.  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:11 am 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=15#19 date=02/27/06 at 11:49:20]I like the pistols (even though it's a prefabricated band in a way) and I think the Clash sucked, suck and will always suck, I don't understand why people consider them like the best "punk" band. ???[/quote]<br>if it makes you feel any better neither do i. i never saw the appeal in the ramones either

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:20 am 

Classic product band.  You guys ever read the write-up Dave Stewart did for the National Health liner notes?  Dave sounds a ton like Zappa in his conclusions.<br><br>From the notes...<br><br>"What Virgin had rightly divined, of course, was that this band had MUSICIANS in it, and by some unspoken inter-record company edict that persists to the present day, had decreed that musicians were bad news, and bands which sported them were NOT TO BE SIGNED.  Far better to sign up some good looking front person who's not particularly interested in music (like the record company) and replace the band, if there is one, with session players or MACHINES.  Then you can get down to the real business of making a HIT RECORD without all that music stuff getting in the way."<br><br>Not that the Sex Pistols had a good looking front man but it's the same end result.<br><br>We are all fans of the 1% market.  Too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:44 pm 

[quote author=masterofnuthin link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=15#20 date=02/27/06 at 12:11:42]<br>if it makes you feel any better neither do i. i never saw the appeal in the ramones either[/quote]<br><br>The Ramones, Bob Marley, Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, Phish, modern Rolling Stones, U2, Clash, Dave Matthews, Billy Joel, etc... they all have some level of merit. But in general they are just an excuse for lamoids to feel like they are outside the box. A boring riot of liberals. Zzzzz.