Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:17 am 

I prefer making up my own mind about music instead of being told what to like by the critics. When I first started to explore older music, I was told that say.. the Pistols and the Ramones were some of the most important groups ever, while Yes and King Crimson were pompous dinosaurs with music no-one with any self-respect should ever like. <br><br>Well, it turns out I like Yes and Crimson better than punk rock, which probably means I'm terminally unhip and a philistine. Not that I care, of course. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:59 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=15#25 date=02/28/06 at 07:17:45]I prefer making up my own mind about music instead of being told what to like by the critics. When I first started to explore older music, I was told that say.. the Pistols and the Ramones were some of the most important groups ever, while Yes and King Crimson were pompous dinosaurs with music no-one with any self-respect should ever like. <br><br>Well, it turns out I like Yes and Crimson better than punk rock, which probably means I'm terminally unhip and a philistine. Not that I care, of course. ;)[/quote]<br><br>Right on!  I totally agree with you on that!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:15 am 

eh, I never cared for The Pistol's, but can appreciate their place in history I s'pose. I've always been more of a Ramones fan myself. As far as The Clash are concerned, I never looked at them as a good punk band...I just looked at them as a good band. They had so many elements that went beyond the meager punk parameters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:20 am 

i still find myself listening to bad religion from time to time

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:29 am 

[quote author=cranick link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#1 date=02/27/06 at 00:40:41]Yea that rocks. Except for the fact that this is how the Sex Pistols have always made thier dough. It kinda' cancels' itself out. PIL had it's momments, but the Pistols' have a major lack of talent. Just cultural significance. Which should be down played in this day in age. I don't want anymore Green Day's or Box Car Racer's. Punk ended with Black Flag. The Dead Kennedy's was as good as it get's for punk. Die punk.[/quote]<br><br>hey, punk, where  r u goin w/that ASIDE from Sid, most had talent. you are to tell me that the way 'Nevermind The Bollocks: This Is The Sex Pistlos" didnt have it's moments...the piano in 'Bodies" hidden way down deep? The multi-tracking with 18 guitars on"Holiday in the Sun", the work that is called 'Pretty Vacant", none of those ideas were new, raw materials? sooooooo....<br>it is all relevant to where you were and who you were and where you are and who you are. ever think ya might have lost your taste for well-planned bands??<br><br>acowdontmakeham<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:29 am 

[quote author=cranick link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#1 date=02/27/06 at 00:40:41]Yea that rocks. Except for the fact that this is how the Sex Pistols have always made thier dough. It kinda' cancels' itself out. PIL had it's momments, but the Pistols' have a major lack of talent. Just cultural significance. Which should be down played in this day in age. I don't want anymore Green Day's or Box Car Racer's. Punk ended with Black Flag. The Dead Kennedy's was as good as it get's for punk. Die punk.[/quote]<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:00 am 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=30#31 date=02/28/06 at 11:46:50]<br><br>I listen to the Sex pistols and King crimson. It's no problem, I don't care what critics say, I only use my ears.<br>[/quote]<br>i use the ears of the homeless guy who was dragged to death by a dog. peter griffin has his eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:09 pm 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=0#9 date=02/27/06 at 06:57:28] <br><br>I still don't care a lot about punk music in general,with a few exceptions (The Clash did some cool stuff, I also like the Dead Kennedys in small doses). [/quote]<br><br>Yeah, me too.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:08 pm 

I don't like the Sex Pistols of halls of fame.  But if there must be a "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," I think the Sex Pistols should be in it.  <br><br>I do not LIKE the influence they had on music, but it was DEFINITELY there. <br><br>They WERE sold as a new kind of English disease that would punch, puke, or piss on you if you saw them live.  The media (or their publisists) built up so much fear of them before they hit the States on tour that you'd think it was the bird flu that was coming.<br><br>So the HOF actually charges the INDUCTEES for a table at their OWN induction event?  >:(<br><br>No wonder Moon dissed them. ;D<br><br>vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:46 pm 

[quote author=acowdontmakeham link=board=legends;num=1141010768;start=15#29 date=02/28/06 at 11:29:02]<br><br>hey, punk, where  r u goin w/that ASIDE from Sid, most had talent. you are to tell me that the way 'Nevermind The Bollocks: This Is The Sex Pistlos" didnt have it's moments...the piano in 'Bodies" hidden way down deep? The multi-tracking with 18 guitars on"Holiday in the Sun", the work that is called 'Pretty Vacant", none of those ideas were new, raw materials? sooooooo....<br>it is all relevant to where you were and who you were and where you are and who you are. ever think ya might have lost your taste for well-planned bands??<br><br>acowdontmakeham<br>[/quote]<br><br>I've only skimmed "the Pistols" body of work. So I may be talking out my ass in terms of thier merit. Maybe I blew over the tunes too fast? But in general, I got a Springsteen/U2 view of what they were about. I.E., ideals that I relate to... but not the skill to warrent MAJOR critical acclaim... AS A MUSICAL/ARTISTIC OUTLET. Maybe I missed some jems. But if so, I'm tempted to acredit them to studio producers and media outlets. But, I could be wrong. I wrote off most of thier work after only one listen. It all sounded the same to me.<br><br>My research of "the Sex Pistols" began in the mid 80's. So I was indeed way off the mark. However, I'd like to think that gave me a retrospective view as to if this music stood the test of time. At that period I was into "Elvis Costello" and "XTC". Both late 70's punk icons. They seemed WAY smarter than "the Pistols" and far more underground.<br><br>Look, "the Sex Pistols" have my respect for deconstructing Pop crap and social morays. I just don't think they had much talent. Kinda' like "the Who".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:01 pm 

Fuck they didn't have any talent.  I do however like an ocasional punk tune for a laugh.  Just like really twangy country stuff is also a bit of a hoot every once in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm 

punkeys shoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:16 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Fuck they didn't have any talent.  I do however like an ocasional punk tune for a laugh.  Just like really twangy country stuff is also a bit of a hoot every once in a while.

Different strokes and all that. For such rebels they made some damn catchy tunes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:28 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Huck_Phlem wrote:

Different strokes and all that. For such rebels they made some damn catchy tunes.

Besides...since when do you have to have talent, to be famous?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:58 pm 

That's right, just look at....well, thousands of acts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:03 pm 

Just to throw my vote in for what it's worth. I really like(ed) "Never Mind The Bullocks".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:09 am 

The Sex Pistols don't belong in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but Malcolm McLaren definitely belongs in the Flaming Asshole Hall Of Fame...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 am 

I think '...Bollocks' is a great record, with some great songs. You can argue about the lasting cultural significance, or the amount of talent in the band, or any aspect of 'Punk' that you like, but the general ethos of getting out there and doing it yourself, expressing whatever it is you want to express etc etc although not entirely novel in 76/77, was brought into the wider public consciousness.

I never bought into the phoney punk 'uniform' (you know, the shitty clothes and hairstyles), and the politics-by-numbers that The Clash etc spouted, but there was a lot of creative energy around 'Punk'.
I'm thinking of The Damned, the Banshees, and loads of new wave stuff (probably not the American version of new wave-skinny ties and stuff).

The general perception of punk these days is a load of awful Green Day clones, or Lydon etc selling butter on TV. 20-30 years ago there was a genuine positive energy around it. I still listen to a lot the stuff I listened to as a teen, and it's not just for nostalgia.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm 

the pistols were the band at that moment in time . maybe if you lived in england you'd understand more about them . it may be true to say that there was a big lack of talent there
but if you think that they did nothing for music , your looking the wrong way............... but........ never mind the bollocks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: