It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:47 pm 

I never heard of this until tonight!

But:http://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/nwsltr93.html

Really? Anyone familiar with this "investigative reporter?"

--Bat :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:07 am 

He wrote a whole book about this: http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Scenes-Inside-Canyon-Laurel/dp/1909394122

I've read a couple other books by David McGowan and my opinions are mixed on how accurate his "reporting" is. The lack of formal citations and his blog-style writing doesn't help his credibility, however he does raise some very intriguing questions. I will say that many of the things in his books can be "proven" with some internet research, its probably difficult to find credible sources to cite on this sort of conspiracy stuff.

Take this stuff with a grain of salt, that's just my two cents.

Last edited by cory1984 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:17 am 

The story is inaccurate from the start here is one inaccuracy the date of uniformed soldiers entering, this is real >May 1961 - President Kennedy sends 400 American Green Beret 'Special Advisors' to South Vietnam to train South Vietnamese soldiers in methods of 'counter-insurgency' in the fight against Viet Cong guerrillas.

The role of the Green Berets soon expands to include the establishment of Civilian Irregular Defense Groups (CIDG) made up of fierce mountain men known as the Montagnards. These groups establish a series of fortified camps strung out along the mountains to thwart infiltration by North Vietnamese.

Fall - The conflict widens as 26,000 Viet Cong launch several successful attacks on South Vietnamese troops. Diem then requests more military aid from the Kennedy administration.

This info is real the story in question above is just that. Yes dear friends Dems got us in Reps got us out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:00 am 

Quote:
Given that Zappa was, by numerous accounts, a rigidly authoritarian control-freak and a supporter of U.S. military actions in Southeast Asia,

Really - I never got the impression that Frank supported any kind Empire building by the states. Crazy talk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:54 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
The story is inaccurate from the start here is one inaccuracy the date of uniformed soldiers entering, this is real >May 1961 - President Kennedy sends 400 American Green Beret 'Special Advisors' to South Vietnam to train South Vietnamese soldiers in methods of 'counter-insurgency' in the fight against Viet Cong guerrillas.

The role of the Green Berets soon expands to include the establishment of Civilian Irregular Defense Groups (CIDG) made up of fierce mountain men known as the Montagnards. These groups establish a series of fortified camps strung out along the mountains to thwart infiltration by North Vietnamese.

Fall - The conflict widens as 26,000 Viet Cong launch several successful attacks on South Vietnamese troops. Diem then requests more military aid from the Kennedy administration.

This info is real the story in question above is just that. Yes dear friends Dems got us in Reps got us out.
And how! The "exit strategy" of April, 1975 (Gerald R. Ford, Prez) that the US Military didn't bother with was a horrendous bloodbath ending with the fall of Saigon. Even the remaining "South Vietnamese" personally allied with Nguyen Van Thieu's defeated government were left to their own devices and, as you know, it was a bloodbath.

BRAVO, if you really believe in this "Republican/Democrat" bullshit fairy tale crap it was a "Rep" (Nixon) who widened the breadth of US Military involvement during his abbreviated term in office.

What has always eluded me is Zappa's constant political outspokenness that very suspiciously avoided any observation on something as huge as Viet-Nam.

Y'see?

--Bat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:00 am 

It is fact, LBJ escalated the war period. Nixon got us out, now we can argue how it was done as well as his motivation but the fact remains. Side note, we were in striking distance of the VC source that would have crippled the North, (the main rout of the Ho Chi Min trail) but Nixon personally stopped it, of course that was Laos and Cambodia. Sure we would prolly still have 28000 troops in the south to keep peace just like Korea, but that is another debate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
It is fact, LBJ escalated the war period. Nixon got us out, now we can argue how it was done as well as his motivation but the fact remains. Side note, we were in striking distance of the VC source that would have crippled the North, (the main rout of the Ho Chi Min trail) but Nixon personally stopped it, of course that was Laos and Cambodia. Sure we would prolly still have 28000 troops in the south to keep peace just like Korea, but that is another debate.
I'd have to say Johnson ("The peace candidate" of '64!) spent the most time and effort getting the US deeper into the conflict but with war-loving pricks like McNamara and worse, if possible, Kissinger (Yes, it's possible -- is that motherfucker ever going to die?) we'd likely have had to go nuclear in that country where we were hated for "destroying villages in order to save them", not to mention how the "John & Jane Q. Citizens" of the American people had been pushed to losing support for US presence there, not just "liberal left wingers". Military historians had to acknowledge that fact despite the reluctance of the Military top brass to let them do it.

I still have that nettling curiosity about Zappa avoiding the issue altogether while in later years slamming the shit out of US foreign policy but not during the Vietnam/Southeast Asia years.