Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa in your head..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:57 pm 

All the time.....We drove past Nandos ( restaurant chain here in England ) last night, and , of course, Lonesome Cowboy Nando popped into my head.<br><br><br>"My name is nando....Im a marine biologist.........All my friends, they call me Do ( Hi Do! )...."<br><br><br>etcetcetc!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:06 pm 

Last week I heard De Laatste Show band playing a snippet of Dirty Love... it keeps on crawling back in my head...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:09 pm 

The irony being, that every post on this thread I read, the song mentioned comes into my head...........AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:38 pm 

oh yeah all the time but it's cool - all last week at work for no reason it was" i am the slime"<br><br>and my 4 year old daughter is always singing baby snakes and my (nearly)3 year old son every morning when i get him up we pass some pictures of frank that i have hanging in the hallway at the top of the stairs and he always says "look daddy zappa"---that's my boy,today he asked me to put zappa on the telly and went over to the d.v.d's and picked dub room special out(the boys got taste!!!) so we spent an hour and a half watching that---ahhh happy days ;D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:50 pm 

here's the , somewhat related 'earworms' thread<br><br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1067520221;start=

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:48 pm 

I've been working on a multiple guitar arrangement of Peaches on Regalia. I'm not far off being able to play the tricky parts now and I'm still playing it almost every day. My twelve year old plays tuba and my ten year old plays trombone. My ten year old is lucky because he seems to have been born with a natural ear. If it's not bad enough that I'm working overtime on this piece lately, I was already very familiar with it after 33 years of listening and now my 10 year is walking around whistling the main theme melody and last weekend started playing a good approximation on the trombone. He insisted I write it down for him so now he practices it every day. He still finds the quintuplet a bit fast, but he's got the rest of it pretty well. The twelve year old didn't want to be left out so now he's playing it on the tuba. Believe me, peaches are well and truly en regalia in my house. Can I stand it ... ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 pm 

[quote author=aquabot link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=15#20 date=02/04/06 at 02:36:45]<br><br>And did it work? did you finally get rid of it?<br>[/quote]<br>Nope.-Just hear more of it now...the trombone part,the vocal harmonization.Damn,gonna play the thing on headphones RIGHT NOW.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:21 am 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=30#32 date=02/06/06 at 20:48:46]...My twelve year old plays tuba and my ten year old plays trombone. My ten year old is lucky because he seems to have been born with a natural ear... [/quote]<br>Congratulations on raising a Tom Malone and a Bruce Fowler! Mine both had totally unnatural ears...<br><br>My canard du jour whore-jourd-wee is the closing lines of Cucamonga - All they ever reely noo (tiddle-iddle-ee!)...All they ever reely noo (tiddle-iddle-ee!) ... That it was cray-zay... over'nover'nover'nover... but I don't care, because it's entirely too enjoyable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:30 pm 

Jumbo go away, hey ey ey....  <br><br><br>I don't minda having Zappa in my Head. I hate when it happens with those terrible pop tunes...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:35 pm 

[quote author=Flatulus link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=30#34 date=02/10/06 at 12:21:40]Mine both had totally unnatural ears...[/quote]<br>My point about the ear is that I didn't really start having success with figuring tunes out by ear until I did some intense ear training in my early twenties. My eldest son is a lot more like me, multi centric and all over the place. He handles the technicalities like reading the music really well and he has a good memory but his ear is lagging behind and needs training, but none the less he's still right into music and enjoys playing with the band, but regular practice is an issue. My youngest son seems to have gotten the ear for free and he's always very organised and practice is not an issue. Chalk and cheese.<br><br>So, I don't think that having the ear up front is necessarily a requirement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:11 pm 

I frequently have Zappa music in my brain.  Also, whenever I hear an instrumental version of Oh No, like the one from Lumpy Gravy for instance, I automatically start singing along.  Probably because it's such a genius melody.

they never won't

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:52 pm 

I have a friend who alway says..."anyway."<br><br>Everytime he says it, I hear the Central Scrutinizer.<br><br>...Anyway, listen, while he's in there he meets this guy who used to be a promo man for a major record company, named Bald-Headed John... King of the Plookers... <br><br>Sometimes I even recite it out load to him without missing a beat.  ;D<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:33 am 

..here I was , wandering around in Mexico recently  when we met another nice couple from our area....he seemed to have pretty good comprehension of zappa music so we traded lyrics and general zappology for the next two wks..i was constantly singing the intro to Illinois Enema Bandit all over Huatulco... what started THAT?....he asks   Take it away Don.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:47 am 

It's funny how certain situations spark a Zappa tune to go off in your head. The latest was St Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:03 pm 

always have zappa bits in my mind<br>but not full melodies<br>i hear like<br>andy...piano...andy andy....piano<br>again and again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:33 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=30#42 date=03/12/06 at 14:21:43][center]<br>[font=comic sans ms]Remember.....FZ put the fz in St. Alfonzo.[/font][/center][/quote]<br>Thanks for the correction jimmy d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:32 am 

I keep getting Envelopes erupting in my head with unusual frequency. <br>(This brings to mind yet another phenomenon I've had all my life: Riding in a car with no A/C and, because the opened window results in a continuous passage of wind on my ears, especially the right ear, causes me to "hear" songs so loudly and sharply that sometimes becomes so distracting that I want to find a fucking volume control or an off switch for it! And this can become intense!)<br><br>--Batchain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:55 am 

inca roads is floating around at this moment

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:50 am 

For the past week i have been trying to replicate Easy Meat from the Zurich 79 concert. It just won't go away!! ;D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:16 pm 

Envelopes pops up a lot for me, as does Little House's piano intro, and most of RUBEN.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:34 pm 

[quote author=Frunobulax19 link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=45#48 date=03/14/06 at 14:16:58] ... Little House's piano intro ... [/quote]<br>I've always liked this and then recently I downloaded the score from Zappatistas so now I'm a bit obsessed with it. This has to be one of his best "serious" compositions. Fragments of it are there in my head all the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next