Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa in your head..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:56 pm 

[quote author=timmoggio82 link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=45#50 date=03/14/06 at 14:43:46]it's a pity the great full band version of the piano intro from 1978 wasn't put on the Stage series.[/quote]<br>I suppose that still leaves open the possibility that a band with the quality of Banned From Utopia or similar could do a big band rendition or Ensemble Modern could do a classical ensemble version. In fact, the more I think about it, there's still a great deal of potential for decent Zappa cover albums.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:15 pm 

I get San Ber'dino in my head all the time... just the guitar lick after the first set of measures.  Then comes the lyrics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:26 pm 

To me the tune that always gets in my head is pygmy twilight - love the riff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:47 pm 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=45#49 date=03/14/06 at 14:34:14]<br>I've always liked this and then recently I downloaded the score from Zappatistas so now I'm a bit obsessed with it. This has to be one of his best "serious" compositions. Fragments of it are there in my head all the time.[/quote]<br><br>That ratio at measure 36 is something I'm sneaking into my own works all the time (9:8, 32nd notes). <br>It may not be measure 36, though, depending on the score you have. Is it the piano score from the FZ SONGBOOK, or the DOWNBEAT score? I need the DOWNBEAT score, so if you have it please send me a PM.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:17 pm 

I had the "Pound For A Brown" theme stuck in my head so I threw on The Yellow Shark.  Now "The Girl In The Magnesium Dress" has knocked my brain clean the fuck out of my skull.   :-/ woooooooooooh!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:35 pm 

[quote author=Frunobulax19 link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=45#54 date=03/14/06 at 20:47:53]Is it the piano score from the FZ SONGBOOK, or the DOWNBEAT score? I need the DOWNBEAT score, so if you have it please send me a PM.[/quote]<br>Sorry, mine's the FZ SONGBOOK one. Do you know where they got it from? I've noticed significant differences to the performance on Burnt Weeny Sandwich. I've also noticed a little recording hiccup at the start of the second bar. Any comments?<br><br>Is the DOWNBEAT one closer to the Burnt Weeny Sandwich performance?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:44 am 

snippets of Yo Mama from SB seem to be the most prolific spontaneously appearing earworms for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:50 am 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=45#56 date=03/14/06 at 21:35:29]<br>Sorry, mine's the FZ SONGBOOK one. Do you know where they got it from? I've noticed significant differences to the performance on Burnt Weeny Sandwich. I've also noticed a little recording hiccup at the start of the second bar. Any comments?<br><br>Is the DOWNBEAT one closer to the Burnt Weeny Sandwich performance?[/quote]<br><br>SONGBOOK is transcribed by Ian himself and matches BWS slightly more than DOWNBEAT, which contains parts not in the SONGBOOK that are in BWS. As for that hiccup, that's in every Ryko CD--it seems there was a tape break and it was patched--or at least it sounds like that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:41 pm 

Baby Take Your Teeth Out been in my head for a couple of days now. I don't mind of course - it's a great little ditty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 pm 

"Hot Plate Heaven" has been eating away at my brain matter for a while now.<br><br> :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:11 pm 

I woke up this morning with Tinsel Town Rebellion playing in my head and the only time I was able to shake it was while listening to the first disk of The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:41 am 

The funny little voices on the original Let's Make The Water Turn Black... ;D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:18 am 

Chop a little wood for the fiayah...poke it around if it died  down...Her head was kinda flat but her hair covered that ...she was a fine fine girl!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:35 pm 

No not now<br>No not now<br>No not now<br>No not now<br>Maybe later<br>Maybe later<br>She say I'm free<br>She say I'm free<br>She say I'm free<br>She say I'm free<br>But I like her sister<br>But I like her sister<br>She can't decide<br>Whom she wanna ride<br>She can't decide<br>Whom she wanna ride<br>Tonight - tonight - tonight <br><br>She changed her mind<br>She changed her mind<br>She changed her mind<br>She changed her mind<br>And I don't blame her<br>And I don't blame her <br><br>No not now<br>(No no not now)<br>No not now<br>(No no not now)<br>No not now<br>(No no not now)<br>No not now<br>(No no not now)<br>Maybe later<br>Maybe later<br>(Shut up! You need a vacation, boy!)<br>The big ol' hat<br>(The big ol' hat)<br>The cowboy pants<br>(Those cowboy pants)<br>Transcontinental<br>(It's a transcontinental)<br>Hobby horse<br>(A hobby hobby horse)<br>String beans to Utah<br>(That's right)<br>String beans to Utah<br>Tonight <br><br>Ah, the wife<br>(Ah, the wife)<br>Oh, the waitress<br>(And the waitress too)<br>Oh, the drive<br>(Yes, yes the drive)<br>All night long<br>(All night long)<br>String beans to Utah<br>(Yum yum)<br>String beans to Utah<br>Deliver string beans<br>To Utah tonight<br>(Giddyup)<br>I better go fast<br>Or they won't be all right<br>(All right)<br>Deliver string beans<br>To Utah tonight<br>(Yum yum)<br>Donny 'n Marie<br>Can both take a bite<br>(Bite it Marie)<br>Hawaiian - Hawaiian - Hawaiian<br>Lunch<br>(Hawaiian lunch!)<br>Boog, boog 'em Dano . . . Murder One! <br><br>No not now<br>(No no not now) <br>No not now<br>(No no no no not now)<br>No not now<br>(No no not now)<br>No not now<br>(No no no no not now)<br>Maybe later<br>Maybe later <br><br>She changed her mind<br>(She changed her mind)<br>She changed her mind<br>(You know she changed her mind)<br>She changed her mind<br>(She changed her mind)<br>She changed her mind<br>(You know she changed her mind)<br>And I don't blame her<br>And I don't blame her<br>She's sorta wild<br>(She wild, she wild)<br>She's sorta wild<br>(Really wild, really wild)<br>She's sorta wild<br>(She wild, she wild)<br>A crazy child<br>(Crazy child, crazy child)<br>Tonight - tonight - tonight <br><br>There she goes<br>(There she goes)<br>Up and down<br>(Up and down)<br>Ride that bull<br>(She's ridin' the bull)<br>All around<br>(All around)<br>The best in town<br>(She's the best in town)<br>Oh she goes<br>(She go up, she go down)<br>Up and down<br>(I said up and down)<br>Oh the bull<br>(The whole bull)<br>The whole bull<br>(The whole bull)<br>The whole bull<br>(The whole damn thing)<br>The best in town<br>(Where she go? Ebzen Sauce . . . )<br><br> :-/<br><br>Aw who am I kidding?  ;D I love this shit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:11 am 

The Purse <br><br>Al Surratt: Oh, jeez. Beast nut [...] Spearmint Gum. And she also has Wrigley's. Uh, she's ambivalent. That's for sure. There's a small note here that says-- no, it's a receipt. Your receipt uh, it's, it's uh five cents. That must be for the gum. Coleman 626 621 9040. A girl with very poor handwriting. That means she is, uh, not very diligent. Here's a letter to Barstow, she says. It says, "Desert lover" . . . No. (whistles) Oh, this is from Barstow. The letter is from Barstow. Frank!<br>FZ: What?<br>Al: The letter is from Barstow.<br>FZ: Oh yeah?<br>Al: Yeah. There it is, boy.<br>FZ: Alright, so read the letter.<br>Al: Dig. Oh, we'll analyze this. A couple desert guys. Oh, hidden, hidden ideas here . . . See, "guess what. The most exciting thing has happened to me . . . " Oh, Frank!<br>FZ: What?<br>Al: Get this! "I was elected homecoming princess."<br>FZ: Oh yeah?<br>Al: Guess how princess is spelled. P-R-I-N-C-I-S.<br>FZ: [...]<br>Al: Yeah, with an exclamation point behind it.<br>FZ: Yeah . . . <br>Al: "Isn't that fabuloss? I am so excited when the captain of the team and the coach told me. I was a happy and excited. I wanted to cry. And jump up and down and hug and kiss everyone. But somehow I managed to control myself. Mary Comerfound is queen, and Sheryl Bridges and myself are princiseses. You know something? I feel just as honored with being a princess as I would being queen. Our homecoming is the Friday and we play against Palmdale. I wish you could come up for it. That would be so neat. Oh, Edie, I am so excited about the whole thing. I wanted to write and tell you the first day I found out but I never found the time. Another big shock: John Gossit is back in town. Remember how he ran away from home last year? Well, he came back."<br>FZ: (laughs) Oh, shit . . . <br>Al: "He was living in Hawaii, and is going into the Marine Corps next week. You should see him, Edie. He's grown up so much. His hair is real long."<br>FZ: (laughs)<br>Al: "Surfer-style."<br>FZ: Oh, shit . . . <br>Al: "Down to his shoulders. But it looks so neat on him. He really lived the life of-- of a king over there. He was a real surfer, board and all. He slept out on the beach at night. He talked to me for a long time Friday night after the game and asked if George and I were still going together. I told him, 'Yes,' and he gave me not-so-happy look and said, 'Oh.' Boy, if I weren't going steady, I'd sure jump at a chance with him again. I just can't believe how much he has changed and all of it is for the better. Oh well. Good thing he's living-- good thing he's leaving next week. The temperature-- the temptation might be too much for me. Guess what? I have a French poodle. That's right. A pedigree. [...]"<br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:45 am 

[quote author=Correct Technique link=board=legends;num=1138975208;start=60#68 date=03/22/06 at 21:35:33]No not now<br>[/quote]<br><br>I've had that one stuck in my head also, it's very catchy.<br>

they never won't

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:41 am 

No Not Now is the kind of song I wish I could sing along with. God damn those high falsettos...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:02 pm 

I've had Jean-Luc Ponty fiddling in my ear all day.<br>Dupree's Paradise, Stockholm 73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:06 pm 

a lady where i work is moving to MONTANA soon, so you guys can figure that one out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next