Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A Bust for Baltimore
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:30 pm 

This should be interesting.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iiOYsQAqvmvZltTkeVWWdiHKSxCwD90GV6NO1

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:28 pm 

. . . . . . . . Image

Quote:
...until they met tonight, some members of the baltimore public art commission, which voted unanimously to accept the gift of
the bronze sculpture -- valued at about $50,000 -- were also unaware of zappa's connection to charm city...

...' the only risk i see in baltimore is the seagulls, that could be a problem ' ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:51 pm 
Banned

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
. . . . . . . . Image

Quote:
...until they met tonight, some members of the baltimore public art commission, which voted unanimously to accept the gift of
the bronze sculpture -- valued at about $50,000 -- were also unaware of zappa's connection to charm city...

...' the only risk i see in baltimore is the seagulls, that could be a problem ' ...

Did someone mention 50 grand? 8)

Note: You probably need to be a fan of HBO's "The Wire" in order to get this. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:48 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
Quote:

With John Waters still living there, he'll probably write into a script for somebody to kiss the seagull shit off of the statue's lips during his next film. :wink:

Note: You'll probably need to have seen "Pink Flamingos" in order to get this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 am 
Banned

Where is Devine when you need him....her.....him.....uh.....whatever......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:10 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

I had a blind date once. She looked just like Devine. I didn't pursue it any further, maybe I was afraid she would be like Devine in every way.

But back to the bust, I would hope that they commission one of their own. I just don't like the look of that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:34 am 

hahahaha!

I wonder how many letters Waters has piled up of people willing to do anything to be his next memorable character. "Whatever you want, I'll do it! Write me in!"

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that scene is indirectly (or directly) responsible for sparking the TV show Fear Factor 30 years later.

Tough break on that blind date, Cal. At least you got a good story out of it. How was her breath? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:26 am 

Gail says yes to Bmore Bust!

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008May08/ ... st,00.html

I wonder if they will unveil it on Frank Zappa Day which I believe is August 9th?

:?

Thanks Gail & Co....

Last edited by debutante_daisy on Thu May 08, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:53 am 
Banned

If Gail attends the unveiling, perhaps she and I can kiss and make up. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:25 pm 

It should be in NY.

Post subject: bust in bmore
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:41 am 

brainpang wrote:
It should be in NY.

how about a bust in each major city but starting with the place where Frank was born?

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:56 am 

hhahahhahhahhhaa!
I want to build an exact 3d replica capturing the photo of FZ on the ancient landmover. You know the one, long hair, the tractor facing to the left and zappa looking directly at the camera, sitting in the chair with his hand on the stick shift. Yes, a 3d model of it and put it up in the park. I live in Kansas.
hhahahhahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhaha!

Last edited by punknaynowned on Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:01 am 
Banned

punknaynowned wrote:
hhahahhahhahhhaa!
I want to build an exact 3d replica capturing the photo of FZ on the ancient landmover. You know the one, long hair, the tractor facing to the left and zappa looking directly at the camera, sitting in the chair with his hand on the shift stick. Yes, a 3d model of it and put it up in the park. I live in Kansas.
hhahahhahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhaha!

Ms. Daisy, I think it's time to post an image of the remaining framed poster that I gave to you. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:39 am 

brainpang wrote:
It should be in NY.

First I want to state that it sounds wonderful for a statue to exist in Frank's birth place of Baltimore. It sounds fitting that the city of Baltimore should have the first official Frank Zappa commemorative statue.

Yes NYC was a very special place for Frank Zappa but if and when a commemorative statue ever exists I wonder if it should have something to do with Franks celebration of Halloween. Not just a head bust of Frank but more so a representation of what Frank brought to the celebration of Halloween in this city.

Frank first and foremost was an American Composer but one very special aspect of his life's work was that he knew how to celebrate that holiday Halloween in NYC in a very special way. While Franks time in NYC does date back long before his annual Halloween performances somehow Frank Zappa celebrating the holiday of Halloween with many of NYC Finest Crazy Type Persons is something that comes to mind.

In the end it will be Gail who decides what is right in representing her husband and his work but Frank had allot to do with getting that Goblin Girl regalia to be just as important as Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer during XMAS.

So here's some artistic concepts for a NYC commemorative statue.

Frank Zappa -
Happy Halloween Everybody
It's The Big One including NYCs Finest Crazy Type Persons

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:47 am 
Banned

"If this show ever goes on television, and if this show ever galls . . . if it ever galls to Arbutus, if it ever goes to Baltimore, if it ever goes to Havre de Grace, all those fine places, I want all the people in that WRETCHED state of Maryland to understand one thing: Mort's from there, Marty's from there, Zack is from there, Chester's from there, and I'm from there, too." - Frank Zappa (KCET, Los Angeles - August 27, 1974)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:08 am 

"If this show ever goes on television, and if this show ever galls . . . if it ever galls to Arbutus, if it ever goes to Baltimore, if it ever goes to Havre de Grace, all those fine places, I want all the people in that WRETCHED state of Maryland to understand one thing: Mort's from there, Marty's from there, Zack is from there, Chester's from there, and I'm from there, too." - Frank Zappa (KCET, Los Angeles - August 27, 1974)

I think it is important to point out that Frank's use of the term "WRETCHED state of Maryland" was in the context of a statement made in 1974. While the American way of life is in a current state of "rapid decline" 1974 also was not a very good time for the USA or life in Maryland.

In general the city of Baltimore has come a long way in improving some quality of life issues for it's citizens. There is good and bad all over in this country where many aspects of good and bad are more vivid. While I have never lived there I feel it is a nice place to visit. The city of Baltimore has payed honor to the life of Frank Zappa.

What's New in Baltimore

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 am 
Banned

Trendmonger wrote:

I think it is important to point out that Frank's use of the term "WRETCHED state of Maryland" was in the context of a statement made in 1974. While the American way of life is in a current state of "rapid decline" 1974 also was not a very good time for the USA or life in Maryland.

In general the city of Baltimore has come a long way in improving some quality of life issues for it's citizens. There is good and bad all over in this country where many aspects of good and bad are more vivid. While I have never lived there I feel it is a nice place to visit. The city of Baltimore has payed honor to the life of Frank Zappa.

What's New in Baltimore

In that case, I think it is important to offer an alternate viewpoint to yours.

I thought that Frank was just trying to be funny when he made the "wretched" remark,.....and he was funny. I was 24 years old and living in College Park, Maryland during 1974. Most things seemed fine to me. In fact, I felt as if I was on top of the world back then. Money certainly was no problem. I don't think that the gas lines hit the country until 1975. I was living in Acapulco during that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:45 am 

Trendmonger wrote:

What's New in Baltimore

In that case, I think it is important to offer an alternate viewpoint to yours.

I thought that Frank was just trying to be funny when he made the "wretched" remark,.....and he was funny. I was 24 years old and living in College Park, Maryland during 1974. Most things seemed fine to me. In fact, I felt as if I was on top of the world back then. Money certainly was no problem. I don't think that the gas lines hit the country until 1975. I was living in Acapulco during that time.

Well Jimmie you do have a point. Sincerely I am glad College Park, Maryland in 1974 treated you well. Maybe you have a long history in Maryland but even if we turned back the clock to 1974 looking at all the social issues in Maryland that may or may not definitively be the reason as to Franks comment. The comment was made in 1974 but the folklore behind the comment could date to the early 1940s.

The humor angle could be for many reasons and not any specific social problem in Baltimore in 1974. Frank could have had many reasons for calling Maryland wretched where made the statement in 1974 but in general 1974 Baltimore was probably a bit wretched in comparison to what the city of Baltimore is today. When I was in Baltimore last about 3 years ago I spoke to a pretty coherent hand out for a dime type person in the street about Baltimore History and I asked him how he liked Baltimore and how long he lived there. He was about 60, a lifer in Baltimore and told me while his life was tough at that time the city had never been better.

I only mention Baltimore because that is where Frank came from but as far as the entire state of Maryland I really wonder what Frank meant.Historical references of Maryland and Baltimore may add some interesting thought into that commentary.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 am 
Banned

Trendmonger wrote:
Well Jimmie you do have a point. Sincerely I am glad College Park, Maryland in 1974 treated you well. Maybe you have a long history in Maryland but even if we turned back the clock to 1974 looking at all the social issues in Maryland that may or may not definitively be the reason as to Franks comment. The comment was made in 1974 but the folklore behind the comment could date to the early 1940s.

The humor angle could be for many reasons and not any specific social problem in Baltimore in 1974. Frank could have had many reasons for calling Maryland wretched where made the statement in 1974 but in general 1974 Baltimore was probably a bit wretched in comparison to what the city of Baltimore is today. I only mention Baltimore because that is where Frank came from but as far as the entire state of Maryland I really wonder what Frank meant.

Historical references of Maryland and Baltimore may add some interesting thought into that commentary.

I believe it's a generational thing. Back then, maybe even still today, it was common amongst The Youth to jokingly make fun of where one came from, so it could, indeed, date back to the early '40s, the decade of Frank's earliest years on this planet. If Frank and the crew had been from New Jersey, he probably would have said "wretched state of New Jersey".......uhhhh......maybe New Jersey isn't the best example, but you get my drift.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:30 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:

The humor angle could be for many reasons and not any specific social problem in Baltimore in 1974. Frank could have had many reasons for calling Maryland wretched where made the statement in 1974 but in general 1974 Baltimore was probably a bit wretched in comparison to what the city of Baltimore is today. I only mention Baltimore because that is where Frank came from but as far as the entire state of Maryland I really wonder what Frank meant.

Historical references of Maryland and Baltimore may add some interesting thought into that commentary.

I believe it's a generational thing. Back then, maybe even still today, it was common amongst The Youth to jokingly make fun of where one came from, so it could, indeed, date back to the early '40s, the decade of Frank's earliest years on this planet. If Frank and the crew had been from New Jersey, he probably would have said "wretched state of New Jersey".......uhhhh......maybe New Jersey isn't the best example, but you get my drift.

:wink:

Yes, I can have an open mind to that form of thought but just to add, in his statement where at that time Frank was just about 34 years old he was living maybe as you say a comical gesture a little bit of his youth, well what I am thinking also as a very educated adult could he understand a bit more about his analytical decision to use the phrase in terms that there may have been some form of expanded 34 year sociological educational aspect in the statement.

The facts are in Franks body of work we do see lots of folklore that dates back to his youth. I do not mean to poke fun at Frank or what any youth movement in general may seem to make with some knee jerk sociological opinion of youth for at time people under 30, especially Franks commentary at an early age most certainly displays valid and thought provoking social commentary.

With Frank no matter what his age was when he spoke it was always thought provoking commentary where it could be relevant to many angles or wide angles of interest of the topic at hand. There was the obvious answer, the not so obvious answer and the answer you always were truing to figure out. Even when you think you figured it out you can see how his commentary and the answers bend in time.

Thanks for your input for it truly made me think about the obvious answer, the not so obvious answer and the answer I am always trying to figure out. Even when I think I figured it out I can see how commentary and the answers bends in time.

:)

What's Bending In Baltimore?

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject: Bust to Bosom
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 pm 

Baltimoreans bear Baltic bust to their Bosom, a gift from the mind of Saulius Paukstis of Zappa Club Lithuania. I hear Baltimore may consider unveiling the bust on 21st December, I had a crazy time in Vilnius back in 1995 I will suffer US customs & immigration just for this.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Last edited by diplomaticpermissiondeepi on Fri May 09, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:27 pm 

I think maryland is a pretty good state to live in.

only been to baltimore, though, when the wretched immigration agency has asked me to honor them with my presence...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:11 pm 

http://www.zappa.com/whatsnew/index.html

ACCEPTED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:19 pm 

Well hey, there's finally something New in Baltimore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:29 am 
Banned

feetlightup wrote:
Well hey, there's finally something New in Baltimore.

.....as long as it doesn't get moved to Cleveland. :wink: