Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 175  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:48 pm 

Fuck. Tom Davis died?

His book 39 years of short term memory loss is a good read.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:28 pm 

The one SNL where Franken and Davis came out in Sumo outfits and said they were gay and it ends up with Al shooting himself was great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:22 am 

I love that one. And Al's "wife and kids" were in the audience. It's right up there with the 1978 Mr USA Pageant from the first episode of the '77-'78 season. Tom Davis was very funny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:39 am 

OMG--I love both those sketches! The Sumo wrestler one is the first thing I think of when they're mentioned "I hate you,Daddy! I hate you!" Al and Tom are both hilarious in the beauty pageant skit--Al does the male equivalent of the Southern Belle perfectly. The other bit they did that I like was on the night Frank hosted, and it was a series of political ads which got more slanderous with each one. "Vote for me, Pete Taglione, you'll be glad ya did!" Frank Zappa was'nt too pleased because he wanted to do something with him debating Jimmy Carter (Dan Ackroyd---however it's spelled), but the Franken & Davis sketch was put in supposedly because they had a friend who was running for office. I learned about this in an interview later, but I still loved the bit, a friend and I would say that line of Al's over and over. :mrgreen: Great writing team.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:48 pm 

Marvin Hamlish Just Died!

He was the composer of the 10th James Bond movie ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’.

Hamlish, who had a career spanning four decades, and composed music for more than 40 motion pictures, collapsed after a brief illness on Monday, in Los Angeles, California.

He is survived by his Family.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 am 

Very sad...and on the same day (and same newscast) that I found out about his death, there was a report on the death of art critic Robert Hughes, and movie critic Judith Crist. I used to read her reviews in TV Guide all the time--she famously hated the movie The Sound Of Music. I'm paraphrasing here, but she was quoted as saying, "To be a critic, one must be part egomaniac". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 am 

dove_grey wrote:
Very sad...and on the same day (and same newscast) that I found out about his death, there was a report on the death of art critic Robert Hughes, and movie critic Judith Crist. I used to read her reviews in TV Guide all the time--she famously hated the movie The Sound Of Music. I'm paraphrasing here, but she was quoted as saying, "To be a critic, one must be part egomaniac". :mrgreen:

I love her already.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:18 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Astronaut Alan Poindexter, a US Navy Captain who commanded two space shuttle missions, died in a jet ski accident in Pensacola, Florida.

As you might expect, the accident was not Captain Poindexter's fault...

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120702/NEW ... cola-Beach

Here's a great picture of Captain Poindexter aboard the International Space Station, hours after he docked the Space Shuttle Discovery there. He's literally standing on top of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Astronaut Alan Poindexter, a US Navy Captain who commanded two space shuttle missions, died in a jet ski accident in Pensacola, Florida.

As you might expect, the accident was not Captain Poindexter's fault...

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120702/NEW ... cola-Beach

Here's a great picture of Captain Poindexter aboard the International Space Station, hours after he docked the Space Shuttle Discovery there. He's literally standing on top of the world.

That's fucking nuts! The guy has one of the most dangerous jobs invented by man-kind yet he dies from a jet ski accident. Jet skis, quads, and motorcycles produce more emergency room visits than anything. I had a quad tumble with some family members that fortunately left me unscaved. My brother fucked up his holiday by trying to run a quad up a tree on X-Mas eve. Proceed with caution friends if you are in to this shit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 pm 

KUIII wrote:
That's fucking nuts! The guy has one of the most dangerous jobs invented by man-kind yet he dies from a jet ski accident. Jet skis, quads, and motorcycles produce more emergency room visits than anything. I had a quad tumble with some family members that fortunately left me unscaved. My brother fucked up his holiday by trying to run a quad up a tree on X-Mas eve. Proceed with caution friends if you are in to this shit.

You're absolutely right. That's basically what I was trying to say, but you said it better. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am 

DEAD!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:12 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
DEAD!!

oooooh, ooooh ooooh, NO!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:23 pm 

Von Freeman, Tenor Sax, 88, heart failure

This is a sad day for me and Miss Kitty. From 1997 to 2000 I worked at The Note in Chicago running live sound. Sometimes a few days a week sometimes full time, but each Sunday was Open Jam with Von Freeman. He was the greatest old school jazz player I ever met. He would play a few tunes, then hold court at the bar (right next to the soundboard) and have people buy him drinks. When he shook your hand it felt like he was looking at your soul, he was a great man. He'd tell stories of the old days or just sit and joke. He was a wonderful person to know. His sound was that of a bold tenor. It was bop, but not overly ornamented, lots of guts in his sound, but not so sweet as to be post-bop. Anyone in Chicago who plays jazz knew Von, has probably sat in with Von at The Apartment or The Green Mill. He was humble local jazz royalty. I'll miss ya, Vonski. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:53 am 

Carlo Rambaldi

Italian make-up effects artist. Worked on King Kong (1976), Alien and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. He was 86.

Won a special achievement award for King Kong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 am 

Von Freeman played in Sun Ra's band for a time in his career, one of the last of the "chicago style sax players"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm 

Altamiro Carrilho, Brazilian virtuoso flute player...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:52 pm 

Actress Phyllis Thaxter, Superman's Mom, Dies at 90

She played Ma Kent in the 1978 superhero film after appearing years earlier in such classics as “Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo” and “Act of Violence.”

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:08 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McKenzie
Scott McKenzie (born Philip Wallach Blondheim, January 10, 1939 – August 18, 2012) was an American singer. He is best known for his 1967 hit single and generational anthem, "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 pm 

Tony Scott - film director. Suicide.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 am 

ursinator wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McKenzie
Scott McKenzie (born Philip Wallach Blondheim, January 10, 1939 – August 18, 2012) was an American singer. He is best known for his 1967 hit single and generational anthem, "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)".

Oh no. He was my friend on FaceBorg. I chatted with him a few times. A very gentle and interesting man.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:54 am 

You're right; getting to know the minor (but should really be major) musician via facebook is one of its few pleasures. I got to engage in conversation with Blaine Reininger of Tuxedomoon via facebook!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 am 

Caputh wrote:
You're right; getting to know the minor (but should really be major) musician via facebook is one of its few pleasures. I got to engage in conversation with Blaine Reininger of Tuxedomoon via facebook!
I'd tried to 'like' his FB page years ago but it wasn't set up that way so I 'friended' him instead. He sent me a message back apologising that he'd already met the limit of 'friends' that FB would allow him but invited me to 'friend' his cats' FB page, which was how he'd gotten around it. We chatted back and forth a bit before I wandered off in another random direction. He was totally bemused and amused by the fact that he was my namesake though.

More recently, I 'friended' John Heinz, of The Big Ol' Nasty Getdown, although he'd actually asked me to do so in order to be able to send me some of their music. He occasionally rants, and I generally commiserate, over the state of the music industry. A great and monumental band, well worth a listen.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:40 am 

Phyllis Diller

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/phyllis-diller-dead-at-95.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 pm 

Somalian athlete Samia Yusuf Omar (21). She ran in the Beijing Olympics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E1O_2BOt1c
She tried to flee to Italy by boat, but her boat sank. She is missing: survivors of the boat trip pointed her out as one of the victims.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:18 pm 

William Windom---Starred in a fave (if short-lived) show from childhood, My World And Welcome To It, in later years, a recurring role on Murder, She Wrote. Also starred in a Star Trek episode (can't recall the name...I'm sure someone does) about a Doomsday machine...in too many other roles to mention here. Very sad. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 175  Next