Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 171  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:26 pm 

He had a great sense of humor and I always enjoyed reading his posts. He seemed like a really good guy and will be missed. My condolences to his family. Rest in peace Pope Jim. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 pm 

Sad news. I always enjoyed Pope Jim's posts. He'll be missed. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 am 

Get Pope Jim's book: Hubble by (Pope) Jim Wilson

http://redleadbooks.com/hubble.html

so he can live on...your bookshelf

HUBBLE

by Jim Wilson
We're surrounded. Aktlan is all around us in the stars, an empire of a thousand worlds. Its people are human, descendants of Earthly civilizations long forgotten. To Aktlan, Earth is both the Motherworld and one big interlocking disease, forever quarantined. They've been free of disease for millennia and don't want careless Earthlings bringing them new plagues.

Aktlan panics when Earth puts the Hubble Space Telescope in orbit. They worry their works will be seen in nearby star systems. They send four condemned criminals to disable Hubble. When in orbit, one of these four overpowers the other three, steals a small anti-gravity device and escapes to Earth. She'd rather die free and diseased.

Morion Qur-Malik, the out-of-favor officer who put the team together, is sent to Earth to recapture her. She's too alien to blend in, even in California; her presence alone will reveal Aktlan to Earthly powers. Mory feels betrayed, both by the woman who escaped and the superiors who sent him after her. Within twenty-four hours of arrival, Mory decides he wants to stay, too. Thirty years of being dumped on is all he can take. Mory may be done with Aktlan, but Aktlan’s not done with him.

About the Author

Jim Wilson was born in Portland, Oregon in 1949. After three years in the Army and four years in college, where he studied linguistics before earning a BA in English Literature, he worked as a cook, a roofer, a carpenter, a maintenance man and an electronics assembler. He now lives in Eugene, Oregon, where he listens to Frank Zappa music, runs through a small inheritance and writes science fiction novels.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:22 am 

RIP Pope Jim. Dweezil Zappa World's loss was our gain.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:13 pm 

Rest in peace Pope Jim.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:26 pm 

Goodbye Jim!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:48 pm 

I would like to let you all know that even though Pope Jim had a sharp wit that was very direct as many here are, when I met with him he was extremely nice, very candid, and just a regular guy.

I am always in a hurry but when I met Jim for lunch I slowed down and spent a couple of hours with him. He had some great stories to tell and seemed truly interested in me and my family, we jammed a lot in.

We had plans to meet again on the next trip, I guess that next trip will be the big one.

Catch you later on the Big Trip Pope Jim... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:53 pm 

Is it a mystery what befell the Pope? Or is it private, which I can respect. :?

On a lesser downer, on this day in 1970 we lowered the flag at our high school upon hearing the news of Janis Joplin's death. No one knew it was an OD for a week. Back then it took a week or so to "trend". No one was a Twitter about it, unless you count the men & dykes at The White Horse bar. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:27 am 

r.i.p pope jim

pretty sure he happened to randomly sit next to me for the 1st zpz show at the warfield ... was he known as darn accordians back then ¿

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:23 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
r.i.p pope jim

pretty sure he happened to randomly sit next to me for the 1st zpz show at the warfield ... was he known as darn accordians back then ¿

Different guy. Because of Little Sally aka Darn Accordians aka Diesel Dummy all being one person, I asked Pope Jim if he was one and the same person. About the same way as I do for anyone from Oregon since Little Sally/Diesel Dummy/Saggynuts/Darn Accordians been playing more than one part here. We PM'ed back and forth. Real nice man and witty too. He was Jim Wilson aka Pope Jim here. He never was DA. That's Bill/DD/DA, if you look at my pix on DZW you can see him (DA/DD/LS) with Ike Willis, if you want to know fer sure.
I hope that helps straighten it out slime.o.
8)

Darn Accordians-Little Sally is still here and going to The Crest Show, aren't you LS? :|

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:32 pm 

Just confirming that Pope Jim was a different guy than Darn Accordians/Diesel Dummy/Little Sally/etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:26 am 

R.I.P. Jim :cry:
I really enjoyed reading his posts in this forum!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am 

KUIII wrote:
Just confirming that Pope Jim was a different guy than Darn Accordians/Diesel Dummy/Little Sally/etc.

Well talking with Jim at our meeting he told me he used to work for Bill aka Little Sally... :!:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:39 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Well talking with Jim at our meeting he told me he used to work for Bill aka Little Sally... :!:

I remember you mentioning that when you got back from Eugene. Do you remember where? LS (Bill) was from the San Joaquin Valley, Bakersfield/Oildale area before retiring to N. Jefferson State, Oregon side. I think he was a trucker down that way. (Diesel Dummy)
That about right LS? :?:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:45 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I remember you mentioning that when you got back from Eugene. Do you remember where? LS (Bill) was from the San Joaquin Valley, Bakersfield/Oildale area before retiring to N. Jefferson State, Oregon side. I think he was a trucker down that way. (Diesel Dummy)
That about right LS? :?:

Where you been livin' Reseda?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:14 pm 

The next line is where Cletus sez: "No San Jose". Haven't heard much from Cletus lately. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:34 am 

According to be Jim he worked for Bill in Oregon and yes Bill said he originated from the Central California area... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:58 pm 

Plook wrote:
According to be Jim he worked for Bill in Oregon and yes Bill said he originated from the Central California area...

That cleared that up...I think... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:08 pm 

Sorry to hear of any Zappa Forum member passing on ,,

my condolences to PJ. and family ,,,,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 pm 

RIP Jim Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 am 

Pogues guitarist Philip Chevron dies of cancer, aged 56

Pogues man – and one of the first Irish punks – joined Shane McGowan's band in time for second album Rum, Sodomy and the Lash

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/o ... evron-dies

edit: they misspelled Shane's last name....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm 

So sad to hear about Pope Jim, he was a great member of the Forum, hard to believe another one has gone...Stu is giving him a hearty hello by now. RIP, sir. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 pm 

A friend of mine from Sacramento passed away, he was 45, his name was Tim. We met at work in 1999, we were both dealing with past issues and we helped each other become better men. He had a great sense of humor and was a classic throwback guy, we became fast friends and worked and traveled together.

We dragged each other up the ladder. Tim became sick in 2007 and had several surgeries and almost died, I visited often in the hospital for a year or so. After Tim got out he never fully recovered and was never able to work again, fortunately he had a little money.

Tim still had his sense of humor and his son, he was a single parent, the Mother was a train wreck. Tim was a dedicated father and a good friend. We occasionally talked on the phone but I had not spoken with him in a while.

Tim never fully recovered from his operations and was in a motorcycle accident recently. He had several surgeries and contracted a post-surgical infection and passed away.

We had some great times together, he was a good friend, a good son to his mom who passed several years ago, and a great dad.

Farewell my friend Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:22 pm 

Sorry, Plook.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:44 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Sorry, Plook.

Me too Plook, bummer man. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 171  Next