Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 176  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:46 pm 

My AK story....

Once upon a time a guy I know, I'll call him Vince, because thats his name, a bit of a gun nut, would get an erection watching dirty Harry kinda guy. Well while putting his beloved ak47 into the boot/trunk of his car after a bit of pratice at the shooting range, he accidentaly fired a burst somewhat modifying the left rear quarter panel of his wife's car from the inside out. There was no one around so we immediately fled the scene, as the range was frequented by police and military types. We were stopped by the police some 26 kilometres later, calling all cars there had been a manhunt, roadblocks, a helicopter (we only had one way back then) all of which we were totally unaware, until we were stopped that is, it was just like a bad episode of Cop's. Vince had his ak47 taken away got a wee fine for the accidental discharge, had to redo a gun course, resit his firearms licence oh and perform extended sessions of cunninlynguis on demand for several years. I got a ringing in one ear, a slap on the hand with a wet bus ticket for hanging around with an idiot and a embarrassing story for the grandchildren.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:16 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Yea kinda like a drunk driver !!

Sure. You always hear stories of drug cartels and terrorists using drunk drivers. :wink:

Every year there are reports of drunk hunters who either fall from their tree stands or mistakenly shoot themselves or a fellow person. A high powered weapon and a case of beer: Here I come success.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:59 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
My AK story....

Once upon a time a guy I know, I'll call him Vince, because thats his name, a bit of a gun nut, would get an erection watching dirty Harry kinda guy. Well while putting his beloved ak47 into the boot/trunk of his car after a bit of pratice at the shooting range, he accidentaly fired a burst somewhat modifying the left rear quarter panel of his wife's car from the inside out. There was no one around so we immediately fled the scene, as the range was frequented by police and military types. We were stopped by the police some 26 kilometres later, calling all cars there had been a manhunt, roadblocks, a helicopter (we only had one way back then) all of which we were totally unaware, until we were stopped that is, it was just like a bad episode of Cop's. Vince had his ak47 taken away got a wee fine for the accidental discharge, had to redo a gun course, resit his firearms licence oh and perform extended sessions of cunninlynguis on demand for several years. I got a ringing in one ear, a slap on the hand with a wet bus ticket for hanging around with an idiot and a embarrassing story for the grandchildren.

He shouldn't be handling a weapon if that is all the smarter the guy was. Gives the careful gun owners a bad name when you sat burst you mean a ,shot, as fully auto is not legal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:27 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
when you sat burst you mean a ,shot, as fully auto is not legal.
Is it legal to own a fully automatic rifle in New Zealand Grey Ghost? Or is it like the states or do you have even stricter laws down thataway ? :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:48 pm 

I have your a fully automatic weapon... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:36 pm 

Like pit bulls, it seems like the people who are most attracted to automatic weapons are the people who are the least capable of responsibly owning them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:43 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Like pit bulls, it seems like the people who are most attracted to automatic weapons are the people who are the least capable of responsibly owning them.

The guns won the west. As the emigrants moved west to Oregon & California, more where killed by accidental shootings, than from the Indians they were so scared of. So they brought that kinda' gun mentality out here.
Nothings wrong with a gun in the right hands, it's the lazy owners that don't know how to handle or shoot the damn things. "Got it for protection" or just cuz they can owners. There's more guns than gold out here. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:19 pm 

Saxophonist Yusef Lateef dies at age 93 in Mass.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=844817&ocid=ansent11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:10 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
when you sat burst you mean a ,shot, as fully auto is not legal.
Is it legal to own a fully automatic rifle in New Zealand Grey Ghost? Or is it like the states or do you have even stricter laws down thataway ? :?

Roger that, our gun laws are tighter now, but back then it was all a little loose. Vince had a collectors permit, it was understood that exotic firearms were more for hanging on rather than shooting at the wall.

BS His gun had been modified to full auto, fired four rounds before he managed to disengage his digit with the trigger. We tried to recreate what happened, but my question was always If he made the gun safe before leaving the range, how could it happen? The ritual was always the same, take out the magazine, clear the breech stick a finger in the hole, safe. I don't know if he got distracted but I'm glad I was standing behind him when he got tangled up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:57 am 

Benjamin Curtis, School of Seven Bells and Secret Machines guitarist, dead at 35

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/indie-rocker-benjamin-curtis-dies-cancer-35-article-1.1562466

I liked Secret Machines a lot, saw em live twice, once in a club, once at a festival, both times a really great sound. Mrs. Arkay waited in line to meet the band. Secret Machines broke up a couple years ago and I haven't heard much School of Seven Bells, so maybe its time to catch up on the catalog.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:20 pm 

Phil Everly was 74 (according to wiki his birthday was this month on the 19th)

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=845735

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoneMXBGQ7Y

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:48 pm 

:cry: Oh no! How awful...was just humming Cathy's Clown the other day and trying to harmonize with myself, failing miserably. What a wonderful duo, he will be greatly missed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 pm 

'Gone With the Wind' actress dies at 98

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=845737

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:01 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
:cry: Oh no! How awful...was just humming Cathy's Clown the other day and trying to harmonize with myself, failing miserably. What a wonderful duo, he will be greatly missed.

I saw the Meat Puppets about two months ago and they surprisingly covered Cathy's Clown. A very straight forward and heartfelt version IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:57 pm 

KUIII wrote:
dove_grey wrote:

I saw the Meat Puppets about two months ago and they surprisingly covered Cathy's Clown. A very straight forward and heartfelt version IMO.

I was just hummin that dream, dream, dream, whenever I'm with you all I have to do is drea e e e eeam song. Great harmonies. El bummo, he (they) will be missed. They were my older sister's 50's kinda' schtick more than mine at the time. I wore a cowboy hat and two Matteltmcap guns at all times. Varmints afoot ya know when your 4-5yrs.old. The teacher took my guns away in kindergarten, she said " I won't need them anymore".
It turned out I wanted them later in life, but didn't have them anymore or I would have killed that bitch Suzie! First big teenage love affair for both, so when I left she fucked everyone I knew! Last I heard she's still trying to wear it out in LA! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:31 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:
dove_grey wrote:

I was just hummin that dream, dream, dream, whenever I'm with you all I have to do is drea e e e eeam song. Great harmonies. El bummo, he (they) will be missed. They were my older sister's 50's kinda' schtick more than mine at the time. I wore a cowboy hat and two Matteltmcap guns at all times. Varmints afoot ya know when your 4-5yrs.old. The teacher took my guns away in kindergarten, she said " I won't need them anymore".
It turned out I wanted them later in life, but didn't have them anymore or I would have killed that bitch Suzie! First big teenage love affair for both, so when I left she fucked everyone I knew! Last I heard she's still trying to wear it out in LA! :mrgreen:

When you left you must have left a big hole that she is still trying to fill. A very sad story. No need to bring your guns to town, Kapt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:44 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Frankly my dear...

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

The article made it sound like Alicia Rhett was the last cast member of GWTW alive. She was the oldest, now that honor falls to Olivia De Havilland, who has not yet gone with the wind. :|

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:

The article made it sound like Alicia Rhett was the last cast member of GWTW alive. She was the oldest, now that honor falls to Olivia De Havilland, who has not yet gone with the wind. :|

I find this fascinating.

Think of the history that these people have lived through, to say nothing of the history that they personally witnessed or took part in. It bakes my cookie thinking that this 98 year old woman, as a little girl may have had grandparents she interacted with who lived during the time of Abe Lincoln. What an era of reference. Even if the old woman has no recall of those days, I still find it intriguing. As a fan of of classic Hollywood I always think of who will be the last surviving member of a particular cast particularly of some classic film. Within a few years the cast of Wizard of Oz will be deceased and then that will be a closed chapter of the living actors of the 1930s. Up next: 1940 films. There are still some folks from the 30's era of film still chugging along. Do you ever watch TCM? They do a great job in paying tribute to living and dead as well as famous and not so famous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:55 pm 

On the DavisMediaAccess.org site, most of the silent films and classics are archived there for anyone's viewing pleasure. I really enjoy the Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Fatty Arbuckle silent flick shorts along with early "talkie" classics with WC Fields and May West. Was that Hollywood's Golden era or was that all before the talkies started to come in? (not that I thought y'all were there or anything :twisted: )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:37 am 

English cricket.
RIP
:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:50 am 

deuce wrote:
English cricket.
RIP

It's not dead, it just smells funny....like Milts baking cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 am 

deuce wrote:
English cricket.
RIP

Again - that's about the fifth time in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:35 am 

Portuguese soccer legend Eusebio (71).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwBnweMBZI

The ball looked so much heavier in this long gone days - does anybody know if it was heavier?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:50 am 

Yes, the balls were much heavier when wet, as they had no effective waterproofinging. Not sure of the difference between dry balls, but I guess thgey were.
RIP Eusebio.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 176  Next