Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 172  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:35 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
R.I.P. Terri (Plook's wife) :cry:

At Plook's request, here are some photos of Terri. These are from The Plooks' trip to Pacifica before Terri started her cancer treatments.

Plook shared his final time with her wonderfully with us on the "Plook On Tour" thread:

Plook wrote:
My beautiful wife Terri passed today at 11:30am Pacific Time, in usual Terri fashion the doctors were late and she checked out on the machines, the doctor said he was amazed that she was able to do that. Her Father was very pleased and she saved me from giving the order, always thinking of others that woman.

It is a beautiful spring day in Folsom California, the type of day Terri loved cloudy with sun sometimes your warm, sometimes it’s cool. She even picked the day of the Grand Cardinal Cross planetary alignment, everything on time and big with her. We had several family and close friends telling stories and reminiscing, laughing more and crying some.

She was baptized Catholic so I summoned a Padre for last rights, which he performed magnificently. I gave him a hundred dollars, he said I owed nothing and I told him Terri would want his church to have it. When I went back in the room I told everyone Terri finally got my secret $100 bill I kept in my wallet for years, my daughters said that Terri had told them your dad thinks he’s slick, but I know he has a hundred dollar bill in his wallet he is saving for a special occasion. It was my pleasure to use it on her.

I asked the staff when we would start and they said the doctors were late. It was approximately 11:15, I asked for the room, everyone left and I shut the door and drew the privacy curtain. Outside the clouds were obscuring the sun, so the light in the room with a large window was subtle.

I explained to Terri how much I loved her and how I have been dreaming of her every night and I want her back but that it was time to go. I told her she fought so hard and so valiantly, that it was ok and to go to her Mother, my Dad, her stepmom, all her grandparents, all my relatives, and even our good dog Bella…they were all waiting to guide her across…the machines tracking her vitals began to drop steadily, the nurse knocked and entered she tried to bring her heart rate back up, she said uho. I called my son in law in the lobby and said get everyone in quick.

All arrived in time to see her pass and as she did the clouds parted and the sun came out, I said she’s gone and walked outside to see a magnificent sight of the entire area surrounded by clouds and the sun shining down on this little hospital on top of a hill.

As I looked up and imagined by wonderful wife spirit rising, a lone prison siren whaled from nearby Folsom Prison for just about a half of a minute.

That’s my wife always commanding a room when she entered or left, her ability to make others feel better about themselves when they met or talked to her was magical, she had a strong dose of X Factor and people felt it in them when they were around her. I was not surprised at all by my loves exit, she was so giving she gave us something even in passing, yet another wonderful moment.

She will be celebrated on Sunday 4/27/14 from 10:00am to 1:00pm at:

The Teegarden House Event Center

731 Plumas St, Yuba City, CA 95991

R.I.P. Terri :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:54 am 

I missed this post...how absolutely lovely. :cry: Sincere condolences to you, Plook. You were blessed to have such a wonderful partner in life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:03 pm 

Bob Hoskins

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:28 am 

A pity about Bob Hoskins... Here's an obit.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27225735

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:56 am 

Al Feldstein, he was editor of the mad magazine for nearly three decades (probably the best) until 1984: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Feldstein

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:36 pm 

I still read MAD.
I began in the early-early 70s.
Don Martin was my favorite, with Aragones, Dave Berg and all those funny movie-ty satires. MAD was at a peak when he was in.

Today, MAD is still funny but not as much.
I do favor the days when MAD was pub-free. And there's too much pubs about MAD in MAD.
Maybe I'm just a nostalgic freak.

And by the way, it's not cheap anymore. When I began, it was 60 cents an issue.

Hope God's got a sense of humor !

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:45 pm 

This is just so very sad. I am thinking about you Plook. You wrote beautifully about your love for your wife in her last days. And about the two of you preparing together for her dying. I'm sorry.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:41 pm 

To echo Mij's statement. I've also been a big fan of Mad and enjoyed all those guys from the golden age of that magazine late 60s to the late 80s. I still horde a bunch of Mad paperback books that I haven't even looked at for about a dozen years or more. Hanging on to them to remind myself of those lazy, carefree teenage years I suppose. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:45 pm 

Earl Morrall, backup to hall-of-fame quarterbacks Johnny Unitas and Bob Griese, was 79.

He played on the 1972 Miami Dolphins: the only undefeated team in the modern history of the National Football League...

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:15 am 

Lulu the tutu-wearing chimp dies Image
Lulu (left)
A "significant" and "influential" great-grandmother who started out performing in a US roadside circus has been farewelled in Sydney.

Lulu the chimpanzee, believed to be 62, was put down at Taronga Zoo on Friday.

"In March this year she sustained an injury (and) this injury severely restricted her mobility," senior primate keeper Allan Schmidt wrote on the zoo's blog.

"Unfortunately over the subsequent months her physical limitations did not improve under treatment, and she's actually deteriorated very significantly over the last few weeks. It was time to say goodbye."

Lulu arrived at Taronga in 1965, coming from a zoo in the US after a stint at a Florida circus where she rode a bike while wearing a tutu.

She had eight children while at the zoo and has become grandmother to six chimps and great grandmother to another seven.

"Older generation keepers speak of Lulu's extraordinary intelligence, and there are a multitude of stories spoken of her," Schmidt said.

"Whether these are true or not, we would like to believe they are."

She apparently used a scrubbing brush found in her exhibit to clean walls and was seen raking grass with a rake.

But it wasn't just house work she tried her hand at.

"When the chimp group was being moved from the old enclosure to the new exhibit in 1981, Lulu apparently upon being darted for transport, disassembled the dart and then reassembled it before succumbing to the drug," Schmidt said.

Schmidt said Lulu had a big impact at the zoo and she would "never be forgotten".

"No day was ever better than one with an enthusiastic greeting from Lulu," he said.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm 

R.I.P Terri as well as The Oozer.

Now: anti-Monsanto Argentinian scientist Andres Carrasco passes away:

http://phys.org/news/2014-05-argentine- ... -dies.html

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:15 am 

RIP HR Giger

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... 4-23691669

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:54 am 

ursinator wrote:
Al Feldstein, he was editor of the mad magazine for nearly three decades (probably the best) until 1984: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Feldstein

Harvey Kurtzman was my favourite Mad editor, but Al is a legend, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:48 am 

LEGENDARY ARTIST H.R. GIGER DIES AT 74

http://loudwire.com/h-r-giger-dies/

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am 

Nash the Slash

Miasma!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 am 

One of the youtube comments said: "It must be a Canadian thing" I've never heard of Nash the Slash until now. It must be a Canadian thing. There, now I said it.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:19 am 

He got screwed over by his record label way back and never really got into the American market as a result.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:57 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:

We all know Gigers famous moviemonster alien. But he also helped another monster (originally invented by german comic artist Ralf Koenig) onto the wide screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZvUIX6v6c
RIP

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:11 am 

Dutch astronaut Wubbo Ockels.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 am 

BBP wrote:
Dutch astronaut Wubbo Ockels.

Did he wubbo someone the wong way? :lol: He wasn't a pirate, no R's. (terrible of me I know)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:09 am 

Poor guy lives on primarily in jokes about his name, can't deny that.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:03 pm 

Is wubbo short for something - wubbonathan, wubbodney, wubbopher?
TT

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:46 pm 

It's an authentic Dutch name and apparently means "shining". Variations on it, like Wiebe, are more common than Wubbo.
I first heard of Wubbo Ockels in the jokes corner of a kiddie magazine: It's in space and smells bad? Wubbo Oksel (oksel means armpit).

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 am 

Popular 1950s singer Jerry Vale dies at age 83

LOS ANGELES - Jerry Vale, the beloved crooner known for his high-tenor voice and romantic songs in the 1950s and early 1960s, has died. He was 83.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/popular-1950s-singer-jerry-vale-dies-age-83/

**************************************************************************************************

'Godfather' Cinematographer Gordon Willis dies at age 82

Gordon Willis, one of Hollywood's most celebrated and influential cinematographers, nicknamed "The Prince of Darkness" for his subtle but indelible touch on such definitive 1970s releases as "The Godfather," ''Annie Hall" and "All the President's Men," has died. He was 82.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/godfather-cinematographer-gordon-willis-dies-23778666

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:55 am 

BBP wrote:
It's an authentic Dutch name and apparently means "shining". Variations on it, like Wiebe, are more common than Wubbo.
I first heard of Wubbo Ockels in the jokes corner of a kiddie magazine: It's in space and smells bad? Wubbo Oksel (oksel means armpit).

Shiny Armpits, sounds like a German/Dutch punk-rock band. :)

BP, is Oksel plural or no? You have it spelled two ways. We all have two or is it strictly applied to one? To me plural sounds better. Makes one think of a hard honest worker sweating. Or a hot day on the chain gang! Just one armpit seems odd for a name, you'd think it would apply to both, right? Is it a even a semi-common name in the Nederlands? :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 172  Next