Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 177  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 pm 

Louis Zamperini, World War II hero and Olympian, dies

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Seventy years ago, the world was convinced that Louis Zamperini was dead. There had been no word of the track star and former Olympian since his World War II bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean. The military told his parents he was dead, and an annual collegiate track competition named one of its races in his memory.

But Zamperini was alive, and very much so. After surviving 47 days in a life raft in shark-infested waters and enduring two years as a Japanese prisoner of war, Zamperini was liberated in time to attend the second running of the invitational mile that had been named in his memory. It was a story fitting for a man who lived a life on the edge of endurance, an ordinary man who did extraordinary things - all while sustained by a hope and strength that at times seemed superhuman.

Zamperini, a war hero, Olympian and the subject of a celebrated book and upcoming movie on his harrowing story of survival against all odds, died after a long battle with pneumonia, his family said Thursday in a statement. He was 97.

Want to know what a worthless piece of shit you are? Read this guy's obituary...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:50 pm 

The National Geographic channel paid tribute to Mr. Zamperini and the others who were lost at sea with him with a dramatization of what they went through. (Not to compare the two but)those survivalist people on Naked & Afraid only have to deal with 21 days and can tap out whenever they can't hack it or have a medical emergency. Astonishing what a human can go through. Those Japanese prison camps were especially horrific.

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:18 am 

RIP, they don't make them like that anymore......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:00 am 

Alfredo Di Stefano: 'The most influential footballer ever'

By Tim Vickery South American football writer

Who is the greatest player ever - Pele or Maradona? It is a question I am asked all the time.

Comparisons of playing styles are always difficult, especially when dealing with different eras, but I think I'm on safe ground arguing there has never been a footballer more influential than Alfredo Di Stefano.

Di Stefano, who died on Monday aged 88, never played in a World Cup, but club football belongs to him. The world's two leading international club competitions bear his mark - one obviously and directly, the other indirectly.

Di Stefano was the last great product of the golden age of Argentine football, the 1940s, when he starred for River Plate.

After the big players' strike there in 1948 he was snapped up by Colombia's newly-launched league, and helped get the professional game off the ground there as the star of the great Millonarios side. And in 1953, at the age of 27, he went to Real Madrid and changed the course of history.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 pm 

Dick Jones, voice of Pinocchio, dies at 87

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/09/dick-jones-voice-pinocchio-dies-at-87/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:05 pm 

The Outfield's John Spinks loses battle with cancer

The Outfield rocker John Spinks has died aged 60 after a long battle with liver cancer.

The guitarist and songwriter for the British pop rock band passed away on Wednesday after living with the disease for years. The news of Spinks' passing was announced via a post on the group's official Facebook page, which reads: "John was a loving husband, inspirational father, doting grandfather and gifted songwriter. His musical career started from a very young age and he wanted more than anything for people to listen and enjoy his music. He passed away knowing he achieved his ambition.

"If it were possible, we know John would have liked to have thanked each and every fan of The Outfield personally. He admired and respected the emails from thousands of loyal followers who commented on his music and enquired about his health. This alone, gave him motivation to battle through the sometimes dark days.

"We would like to thank you for 'Your Love' and the continued support you have given John throughout his career. He loved making music and playing his guitar. He found pleasure knowing that his music made people happy and bought them fond memories. He worked hard with many days in pain to finish the Replay album. There were times when he could barely pick up his guitar, but he refused to give up knowing he would disappoint fans. The hardest day for John was when he put his guitar in its case announcing his hands could no longer play.

"During the last months of his life, John, (bandmates) Tony (Lewis) and Alan (Jackman) wrote new material. What the future holds for this is unclear at the time of this writing."

The Outfield first earned major success with their 1985 debut album "Play Deep," which included their smash hit "Your Love." They continued to release records throughout the 1980s and by the 1990s, the trio took an extended hiatus, playing only a few intimate gigs.

In 2011, Spinks, Lewis and Jackman reunited for their final studio album, "Replay."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:03 pm 

Jazz great Charlie Haden

https://music.yahoo.com/news/charlie-ha ... 16641.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm 

One of the best bass players ever, great player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 am 

Tommy Ramone, the last remaining original member of Ramones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Ramone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:13 am 

RIP Tommy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:45 am 

RIP Mr Charlie Haden. My respect.

My condolences to family, friend and admirers...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:59 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
RIP Mr Charlie Haden. My respect.

My condolences to family, friend and admirers...

One of my musical Heroes! RIP Mr. Haden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:00 pm 

All Gone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:06 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

All Gone

I guess Dee Dee died because of drugs but cancer got the rest of them all way before their time. I don't think I've ever heard of another band that had such bad luck with cancer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:14 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I guess Dee Dee died because of drugs but cancer got the rest of them all way before their time. I don't think I've ever heard of another band that had such bad luck with cancer.

Not only that....apart from The Beatles, what other bands had the drummer outlast 'em?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:06 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:24 pm 

Lorin Maazel, an Intense and Enigmatic Conductor, Dies at 84

Lorin Maazel, a former child prodigy who went on to become the music director of the New York Philharmonic, the Cleveland Orchestra, the Vienna State Opera and several other ensembles and companies around the world, and who was known for his incisive and sometimes extreme interpretations, died on Sunday at his home in Castleton, Va. He was 84.

The cause was complications of pneumonia.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 pm 

Archie Andrews dies taking bullet for gay best friend in comic book

LOS ANGELES, CALIF.—Archie Andrews died taking a bullet for his gay best friend.
The famous freckle-faced comic book icon met his demise in Wednesday’s installment of “Life with Archie” when he intervened in an assassination attempt on Kevin Keller, Archie Comics’ first openly gay character. Andrews’ death, which was first announced in April, will mark the conclusion of the series that focuses on grown-up renditions of Andrews and his Riverdale pals.
“The way in which Archie died is everything that you would expect of Archie,” said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics publisher and co-CEO. “He died heroically. He died selflessly. He died in the manner that epitomizes not only the best of Riverdale but the best of all of us. It’s what Archie has come to represent over the past almost 75 years.”
Keller’s character first joined Veronica Lodge, Betty Cooper, Jughead Jones and Reggie Mantle in the Archie Comics spin-off “Veronica” in 2010. He later appeared in his own solo title. In “Life with Archie,” Keller is a married military veteran and newly elected senator who’s pushing for more gun control in Riverdale after his husband was involved in a shooting.
“We wanted to do something that was impactful that would really resonate with the world and bring home just how important Archie is to everyone,” said Goldwater. “That’s how we came up with the storyline of saving Kevin. He could have saved Betty. He could have saved Veronica. We get that, but metaphorically, by saving Kevin, a new Riverdale is born.”
Who shot Archie? Goldwater isn’t spoiling the killer, only teasing it’s a stalker who wanted to take Keller down.
Archie’s final moments will be detailed in “Life with Archie” No. 36, while issue No. 37 will jump forward a year and focus on the Riverdale gang honouring the legacy of their red-headed pal, who first appeared in comics in 1941 and went on to become a colorful icon of wholesomeness. Other incarnations of Andrews will continue to live on in Archie Comics series.
In recent years, deaths of high-profile comic book characters like Peter “Spider-Man” Parker and Steve “Captain America” Rogers have made headlines and garnered intense reaction from fans. Goldwater notes that Andrews’ passing isn’t just a publicity stunt but also a lesson about gun violence and a declaration of diversity in the new age of Archie Comics.
“Archie was not a superhero like all the rest of the comic book characters,” said Goldwater. “He was human. He was a person. When you wounded him, he bled. He knows that. If anything, I think his death is more impactful because of that. We hope by showing how something so violent can happen to Archie, that we can — in some way — learn from him.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 pm 

I've seen multiple reports that Johnny Winter may have died. But no confirmation as yet...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:53 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I've seen multiple reports that Johnny Winter may have died. But no confirmation as yet...

It's official. Johnny Winter is indeed gone.

Quote:
R.I.P. Johnny Winter, blues legend dead at 70

Blues legend Johnny Winter has died, according to American Blues Scene. He was 70 years old.

The news was also reported by the wife of Winter’s longtime bandmate, Rick Derringer.

Born in Beaumont, Texas in 1944, Winter remained active in music for over five decades, earning acclaim as both a guitarist and record producer. His big break came while opening a show for Mike Bloomfield in 1968. Winter’s performance that evening caught the eye of Columbia Records, who quickly signed him to a contract. He was given a $600,000 advance, the largest one ever received at that time.

In the years that followed, Winter would release nearly 20 albums. He was praised for his high-energy performances and elaborate chops, leading to seven Grammy nominations and a nod as the 63rd best guitarist ever by Rolling Stone.

In addition to his solo work, Winter produced three Muddy Waters albums — 1977′s Hard Again, 1978′s I’m Ready, and 1981′s King Bee – as well as 1979′s Muddy “Mississippi” Waters – Live. Winter’s efforts as a producer earned him three Grammy Awards.

Winter is known for being an original performer at Woodstock ’69. He’s also brother of fellow music legend Edgar Winter.

Winter remained active up until his death. Not only did he have an a number of upcoming tour dates scheduled, but he was set to release a new album entitled Step Back on September 2nd.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/r ... ead-at-70/

Pardon me when I say fuck the Ramones. Johnny Winter was the real deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Johnny Winter was the real deal.

Can't we just agree on this without having to fuck the Ramones :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Quote:

Blues legend Johnny Winter has died, according to American Blues Scene. He was 70 years old.

The news was also reported by the wife of Winter’s longtime bandmate, Rick Derringer.

Born in Beaumont, Texas in 1944, Winter remained active in music for over five decades, earning acclaim as both a guitarist and record producer. His big break came while opening a show for Mike Bloomfield in 1968. Winter’s performance that evening caught the eye of Columbia Records, who quickly signed him to a contract. He was given a $600,000 advance, the largest one ever received at that time.

In the years that followed, Winter would release nearly 20 albums. He was praised for his high-energy performances and elaborate chops, leading to seven Grammy nominations and a nod as the 63rd best guitarist ever by Rolling Stone.

In addition to his solo work, Winter produced three Muddy Waters albums — 1977′s Hard Again, 1978′s I’m Ready, and 1981′s King Bee – as well as 1979′s Muddy “Mississippi” Waters – Live. Winter’s efforts as a producer earned him three Grammy Awards.

Winter is known for being an original performer at Woodstock ’69. He’s also brother of fellow music legend Edgar Winter.

Winter remained active up until his death. Not only did he have an a number of upcoming tour dates scheduled, but he was set to release a new album entitled Step Back on September 2nd.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/r ... ead-at-70/

Pardon me when I say fuck the Ramones. Johnny Winter was the real deal.

damn. my first gutar hero.
RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:13 am 

RIP Blues Albino...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:53 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VIpmUroL2D4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

Quote:

R.I.P. Johnny

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 177  Next