Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm 

Theme park built on ruins of Chinese earthquake

BEIJING, February 18 (RIA Novosti) - A theme park has been built on the ruins of China's earthquake in the southwestern Sichuan province where thousands of people died in May last year, the China Daily said on Wednesday.

Full story:
http://en.rian.ru/world/20090218/120194921.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 am 

BBP wrote:
A case on desecration of a grave on a cemetary in Aalsen has been solved. The police of the Frisian village surveilled the grave with a camera after the stone had moved five times. On the images can be seen that the 450 kilo weighing stone moved by itself. Research on the mechanics is in progress.

Last night I realized that people here are starting earlier and earlier on their April Fool's jokes. As this story speaks of footage but none has been published, I assume this is one. Sorry.

Mental: that's sick!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 am 

oh they LOVE their theme parks over there.
It's not just a place to go and gawk and spend money.
It's a way to live another experience and pay honor in a near pilgrimage sense of dedication.
Just a bit different really.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:04 pm 

World's longest nails wrecked by car crash

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/18/content_10842607.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:38 am 

Monty Python's "Holy Hand Grenade" sparks bomb scare
From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!

Thursday, March 19, 2009

A bomb scare was sparked after someone mistook a replica bomb from the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail for a real bomb.

A member of the water board discovered what they discribed as a "suspicious object" under a fire hydrant cover at the junction between Tabernacle Street and Epworth Street in Finsbury, London. The police, the fire brigade and bomb disposal officers were called to destroy the bomb, only to discover it was a replica of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

In the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table use the Holy Hand Grenade to kill the deadly Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.

One eye-witness, pub landlord Alberto Romanelli said: "It was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. The bomb squad were here. They evacuated the pub while they were doing X-rays and stuff. It all lasted about 45 minutes before they decided it was nothing - which I thought was pretty obvious from the start. I lost a good hour's worth of business."

Former member of Monty Python and star of the film Michael Palin humourously commented on the incident saying: "Our Holy Hand Grenade was fictional and there were no plans for creation. We don't want to add to the armaments of the world."

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_%22Holy_Hand_Grenade%22_sparks_bomb_scare?curid=122892

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 pm 

Komodo dragons kill Indonesian fisherman

(CNN) -- An Indonesian fisherman has been killed by Komodo dragons after he was attacked while trespassing on a remote island in search of fruit, officials said Tuesday.

Muhamad Anwar, 32, bled to death on his way to hospital after being mauled by the reptiles at Loh Sriaya, in eastern Indonesia's Komodo National Park, the park's general manager Fransiskus Harum told CNN.

"The fisherman was inside the park when he went looking for sugar-apples. The area was forbidden for people to enter as there are a lot of wild dragons," Harum said.

Other fisherman took Anwar to a clinic on nearby Flores Island, east of Bali, but he was declared dead on arrival, he added.
Komodo dragons, the world's heaviest lizards, can grow up to 3 meters (10 feet) in length and have a toxic bite that they use to kill prey such as buffalo, returning to feast when the animal succumbs to the poison.

Despite their ungainly appearance, the carnivorous reptiles can run as fast as a dog in short bursts, jump up on their hind legs, and kill animals with a blow of their powerful tails.

Attacks on humans are rare, but Monday's incident is the latest in a series in which the monster lizards -- which have forked tongues and fearsome claws --have killed or injured people.

Last month a park ranger survived after a Komodo dragon climbed the ladder into his hut and savaged his hand and foot. In 2007 an eight-year-old boy died after being mauled.

In June last year, a group of divers who were stranded on an island in the national park -- the dragons' only natural habitat -- had to fend off several attacks from the reptiles before they were rescued.

Park rangers also tell the cautionary tale of a Swiss tourist who vanished leaving nothing but a pair of spectacles and a camera after an encounter with the dragons several years ago.

An endangered species, Komodo are believed to number less than 4,000 in the wild. Access to their habitat is restricted, but tourists can get permits to see them in the wild within the National Park.

All visitors are accompanied by rangers, about 70 of whom are deployed across the park's 60,000 hectares of vegetation and 120,000 hectares of ocean.

Despite a threat of poachers, Komodo dragon numbers are believed to have stabilized in recent years, bolstered by successful breeding campaigns in captivity.

On Monday, a zoo in Surabaya on the Indonesian island of Java reported the arrival of 32 newborn Komodos after the babies all hatched in the past two weeks, the Jakarta Post reported.

Yes, it was useless anymore
(Move back now!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:55 pm 

This happened last year, but I still think its worth posting:

TOKYO - A Japanese man was arrested for releasing hundreds of beetle larvae inside a moving express train to try to scare female passengers, police said Tuesday.

"I wanted to see women get scared and shake their legs," police quoted 35-year-old Manabu Mizuta as saying.

He was arrested on the spot by a patrolling police officer after releasing the creatures on the Keihan line in Osaka prefecture.

"He would go close to women on the train, any woman, and pour out the worms from containers," said a police spokesman.

Local police had been on alert after 18 similar cases of released worms had been reported this month by the same train operator.

"When the arrest was made, the man had nearly emptied a container, which is believed to have held 200 worms," he said. "You cannot count them because there are so many."

Mizuta had 10 containers in his backpack estimated to contain a total of 3,600 worms, police said.

"We have the worms sitting inside the police station right now," the spokesman said. "You see them wriggling inside their clear cases. It's really disgusting."

as of 11/26/2008 2:47 AM
www.abs-cbnnews.com/classified-odd/11/2 ... orms-train

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:07 am 

http://kdka.com/video/?id=20000@kdka.dayport.com
They get an A+ for effort.

There's a commercial they inflict on you at the start of the clip.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:45 am 

The Winston-Salem Banana Bandit? :shock:

US 'banana gun robber' slips up

'Banana bandit' eats the evidence after alleged robbery attempt. A US teenager who was thwarted in an attempt to rob an internet cafe armed with a hidden banana ate the "weapon" before he was arrested, police say.

Police took photos of the peel after the suspect ate most of the "evidence"
John Szwalla entered the shop with a banana concealed under his T-shirt and demanded money, saying he had a gun.

The shop's owner and customers overcame the hapless thief and called for help, but they said the teenager ate his "weapon" before the police arrived.

Officers joked they may charge the 17-year-old with destroying evidence.

Bobby Ray Mabe, the owner of 109 Biz Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, said police officials took pictures of the banana skin instead.

"If he had had a gun he would've shot me," Mr Mabe told the Winston-Salem Journal newspaper. "But he had a banana."

Mr Szwalla has been charged with attempted armed robbery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8054448.stm

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The Winston-Salem Banana Bandit? :shock:

US 'banana gun robber' slips up

'Banana bandit' eats the evidence after alleged robbery attempt. A US teenager who was thwarted in an attempt to rob an internet cafe armed with a hidden banana ate the "weapon" before he was arrested, police say.

Police took photos of the peel after the suspect ate most of the "evidence"
John Szwalla entered the shop with a banana concealed under his T-shirt and demanded money, saying he had a gun.

The shop's owner and customers overcame the hapless thief and called for help, but they said the teenager ate his "weapon" before the police arrived.

Officers joked they may charge the 17-year-old with destroying evidence.

Bobby Ray Mabe, the owner of 109 Biz Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, said police officials took pictures of the banana skin instead.

"If he had had a gun he would've shot me," Mr Mabe told the Winston-Salem Journal newspaper. "But he had a banana."

Mr Szwalla has been charged with attempted armed robbery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8054448.stm

How funny! Good thing he didn't use his own banana. Especially when it comes to the part when he destroys the evidence.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 am 

A 16-year old golf player who was wounded on an Amsterdam golf course yesterday, passed away last night of his injuries. During the swing of his 62-year-old partner, he accidentally got the golf club in his neck. The boy was given CPR and taken to hospital by helicopter, where he died.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:25 am 

Teen who auctioned her virginity for £8,000 may lose half... because prostitutes in Germany are taxed at 50% of earnings

Tax authorities in Germany are poised to claim 50 per cent of the money that a teenage student earned for 'auctioning' her virginity because they claim it was 'tantamount to prostitution'.

Romanian-born Alina Percea, who is a student in Germany, was paid £8,800 in cash for a weekend of sex with the Italian businessman after she auctioned her virginity online.

But tax officials in Berlin regard the 18-year-old's act as 'nothing more than prostitution'.

Prostitution is legal in Germany - but it is heavily taxed.

'It is not a moral standpoint but a fiscal one,' an official said. 'Prostitution is not an illegal act in Germany, but not paying tax on earned money is.

'Consequently we are assessing her case and it looks likely she will have to pay around half of the sum she gained.'

The Romanian-born computer studies student's visa allows her to work in Germany for 90 days - even as a prostitute.

One tax expert said: 'Even if she was taxed as a purveyor of erotic moments, or whatever she wants to call what she did, she would have to pay tax on it. Prostitution is merely a means for the bureaucrats to pin her down for a claim.

'She would have been better off keeping quiet about this strange transaction.'

It also emerged that, because Alina earned so much in such a short time, she may even be liable for a hefty VAT bill too.

VAT in Germany works out to 19 per cent, meaning the sale of her virginity could land her with just over £3,000 in the end.

'When we have hard figures then we can make an accurate assessment,' said a German inland revenue spokesman.

Alina, who studies in Mannheim, told how a 45-year-old Italian businessman took her virginity with unprotected sex at a luxury Venetian hotel.

'I liked the man and got on with him well. He didn't look 45, and he seemed much younger.
We spoke in English as I can't speak Italian and he can't speak Romanian.
He paid me a lot of compliments throughout the day, and he was very funny and charming. We got on very well, and I was pleased he'd won,' said Alina.

'We kissed, then undressed each other. I'd never done that before, so I was nervous. He laid me on the bed and started kissing my body, then we had sex. I was attracted to him, so I enjoyed it, even though it was quite painful.

'We only had sex once, then fell asleep. Next morning, we had breakfast together like any other couple, and I took the morning-after pill. He told me he'd like to see me again, and I agreed.

'I hope to see the man again - and next time I won't make him pay,' she added.

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... nings.html

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:23 am 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
Tax authorities in Germany are poised to claim 50 per cent of the money that a teenage student earned for 'auctioning' her virginity because they claim it was 'tantamount to prostitution'.
It also emerged that, because Alina earned so much in such a short time, she may even be liable for a hefty VAT bill too. VAT in Germany works out to 19 per cent, meaning the sale of her virginity (for £8,800) could land her with just over £3,000 in the end.

Yeah...she's fucked now.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:35 am 

hahaha thats typically german. same with normal jobs. i m a nurse and lose 50% of my income
every month. u live here = u r fucked :evil:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:10 pm 

miss_do wrote:
hahaha thats typically german. same with normal jobs. i m a nurse and lose 50% of my income
every month. u live here = u r fucked :evil:
Who's to say that prostitution isn't a normal job.. It's at least a blow job or a hand job! Hey miss_do.. Any pics in the nurse's outfit?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 pm 

Cat in China grows a pair of wings

Feline was born normal but developed appendages at age 1, family says
Wed., May 27, 2009

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a … cat?

A kitty in Chongqing, China, is getting some extra-special attention these days: The furry feline has developed wings! Though born looking completely normal, once the cat hit the age of 1, he began growing wing-shaped appendages on either side of his spine, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reports.

While some think the bony limbs may be a mutation of some kind — or even a Siamese twin growing inside the cat — others speculate it's a genetic change perhaps caused by chemicals ingested by the kitty's mother while she was pregnant.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:11 am 

catpuke wrote:
--- others speculate it's a genetic change perhaps caused by chemicals ingested by the kitty's mother while she was pregnant.

*GASP*
He could grow up to be 15 feet tall and scary-lookin'!
Better not let him reproduce!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:11 pm 

catpuke wrote:

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a … cat?

This cat most certainly ate the canary ;-)

Either that, or it's a promotional device for a new spin off from the Batman Movies...

Bat Cat & The Revenge of The Canary :mrgreen:

The big question now is, what do you feed a hybrid animal like this ???

Cat Food (insert King Crimson joke here...) or bird food ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:10 am 

A story destined to be an indie movie. Or a really fucked-up musical. For those with ADHD, just scan the bold words.

Reality show contestant found dead in Canada motel

HOPE, British Columbia – For Ryan Jenkins, life ended in a suicide in a remote Canadian motel room, and police who had sought the reality show contestant in the killing of his ex-wife hunted Monday for someone new: the mysterious woman who accompanied him to his lodgings.

Jenkins was accused of killing his ex-wife, a model whose body was so badly mutilated when found in a trash bin outside Los Angeles it had to be identified by her breast implants' serial numbers. He evaded a massive international manhunt for days as he crossed from the United States into his native Canada.

The dramatic end came at an isolated motel at the edge of British Columbia's mountainous interior, on the outskirts of Hope, a town with limited claims to fame as the place where the first Rambo movie was filmed and where residents make giant wooden carvings with chainsaws.

On Sunday evening, police responded to a call from motel staff about a dead person, and then called investigators who were part of the manhunt for Jenkins, said Sgt. Duncan Pound of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police border integrity unit.

The manager of The Thunderbird Motel and his nephew said they found Jenkins hanging from the bar of a coat rack by a belt. They said a young woman had checked him in to the two-story inn surrounded by trees.

The 32-year-old real estate developer and investor was charged in California with first-degree murder Thursday after the dismembered body of Jasmine Fiore was found in a trash bin in Buena Park, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) southeast of Los Angeles.

Fiore's teeth had been pulled out and her fingers cut off, apparently to impede her identification. Investigators used the serial numbers on her breast implants to identify her, Orange County prosecutors said.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090824/ap_ ... nt_slaying

Image "You've got big dreams. You want fame. Well fame costs. And right here's where you start paying."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:42 am 

possible titles for said indie flick:

"it happened in hope"
"hopeless"
"no hope at the t-bird"
"reality got the breast of her"
"bits and pieces"...y'never know, the dave clark five tune could play over the closing credits.... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:53 pm 

Two Mountain Home area men were arrested after police found nearly eight ounces of marijuana in their vehicle following a routine traffic stop Tuesday evening.

Twenty-one year old ***** and 22-year old ***** are each charged with felony possession of marijuana with intent to deliver.

The two were arrested after Mountain Home police observed a white Dodge truck, driven by ***** , ran a stop sign at the intersection of Benton and Nevada streets at 4:20 p.m.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 pm 

This is from the SUN, so it's probably not true.
Make a good song, though...

A PERVERT who gets sexual thrills from manure was jailed after being caught pleasuring himself in a muck-spreader.
Weird David Truscott, 40, broke into a farm and covered himself in animal waste.

He then climbed into the spreader vehicle - and was found wearing rubber gloves and playing in the slurry for "sexual reasons". Truscott, of Camborne, Cornwall, was jailed for 16 weeks after admitting harassment.

Truro Magistrates' Court heard he was convicted of a previous offence at the same farm in Camborne in 2004.

At that time, the farmer came across a trough filled with dung and tissues scattered around. He then saw two hand prints and a "bottom print" where manure had been. Police who searched Truscott's home found 360 pairs of women's knickers and containers of liquid sludge and hard mud.

He was jailed for three years for burglary and arson after causing a blaze at the farm which killed a cow when he couldn't find manure to pleasure himself in.

He would walk into the farm to roll in manure and perform sex acts on himself before washing in a cattle trough. Once he entered a milking parlour to use a roll of industrial toilet tissue. He had stripped to his pants and climbed into a manure vat.

Police caught him carrying a bag full of underwear, women's trousers and firelighters. The farmer's wife and two children said they were "terrified".

The 2004 blaze caused damage costing £3,300. His lawyers said he was a "sad, isolated, peculiar man with peculiar habits" who "needed help".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am 

Caputh wrote:
A PERVERT who gets sexual thrills from manure was jailed after being caught pleasuring himself in a muck-spreader.

Now he's on the sex offender list, too. That muck-spreader was only 2 years old!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:39 am 

Whoops!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 50817.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:12 pm 

Massachusetts principal bans students from saying 'Meep!'

DANVERS, Mass. – Who knew "Meep!" was a four-letter word? The utterance favored by bungling lab assistant Beaker of "The Muppet Show" has been banned at Danvers High School in Massachusetts after students said it to repeatedly interrupt school.

Principal Thomas Murray said the word was part of a disruption planned using Facebook.

The Salem News reports that parents recently got an automated call about "Meep!" from Murray. He warned them that students who said or displayed the word at school could be suspended.

Murray says the warning was needed because students didn't heed his "reasonable request" to stop the meeping.

Danvers High sophomore Melanie Crane says it doesn't mean anything in particular.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next