Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:13 am 

Listening to Mozart Heals Elephant's Depression P

Written by geri
Saturday, 29 July 2006

When zoo keepers realized that classical music seemed to help Suma, the elephant, cope with the grief brought on by a mate's death, they installed a stereo and showered the pachyderm with the healing vibes of Bach, Vivaldi, and her favorite, Mozart. (Sapa-AFP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:39 am 

Bridge over Danube could be named after Chuck Norris

A new bridge in Hungary could be named after the action film actor Chuck Norris after officials left the naming to an internet vote. Votes for the Chuck Norris Bridge have so far attracted 11 per cent, of the vote, organised by the Ministry for the Economy.

That puts it just ahead of naming the bridge after Hungarian humorist Geza Hofi and three times more popular than naming it after state founder Szent Istvan.

Votes can be cast until September 8 on the website www.m0hid.gov.hu There are more that 500 nominations, as well as names referring to delays, such as 'It Will Never Happen Bridge'.

A government committee will review the three winning names, as well as other proposals put forward by local governments, cartographers, linguists and others.

The bridge over the Danube is due to open in 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:15 am 

Hahahahahahaha that should go on the "Good News Thread" as well!!! Chuck rules! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:38 am 

Dog destroys £40,000 Elvis teddy

A £40,000 teddy which used to belong to Elvis Presley was among scores of toy bears destroyed when a dog meant to guard them went on the rampage.

Security guard Greg West does not know what made Barney do it

Dobermann Barney was looking after the rare Steiff bear, named Mabel, which had been loaned for an exhibition at Wookey Hole Caves near Wells, Somerset.

The dog ripped the head off the bear and attacked scores of other teddies.

Barney's owner could only suggest that the bear had a rogue scent on it - or that Barney had become jealous of it.

The bear, made in Germany in 1909, was bought at auction in Memphis, Tennessee, by Somerset aristocrat Sir Benjamin Slade.

Wookey Hole general manager Daniel Medley told the BBC: "About 100 bears were caught up in this frenzied attack, some were merely little chews, whereas some of them had some quite devastating injuries.

"Heads pulled off, arms, legs here and there, it was a total carnage really. I've never seen such a mess, there was stuffing, fluff and bear bits everywhere."

'Model dog'

Barney also caused an estimated £20,000 damage to other bears in the collection.

Security guard Greg West, who was on duty at the time, is at a loss to explain what happened to make Barney go so "berserk".

Other teddies worth about £20,000 were damaged

Mr West, 36, of Totterdown, Bristol, said: "Barney has been a model guard dog for over six years. I still can't believe what happened.

"Either there was a rogue scent of some kind on Mabel which switched on Barney's deepest instincts, or it could have been jealousy - I was just stroking Mabel and saying what a nice little bear she was."

The attraction said Barney's future with them was "uncertain".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5240832.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:05 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

A £40,000 teddy which used to belong to Elvis Presley was among scores of toy bears destroyed when a dog meant to guard them went on the rampage.

Security guard Greg West does not know what made Barney do it

Dobermann Barney ...

Is this all just a Mel Gibson-funded effort to deflect the spotlight off of him and onto something else?

Post subject: Elvis bear
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:02 pm 

Imagine chewing up a bear with Elvis drool on it. Bad dog BAD dog :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:58 pm 

US man survives chocolate ordeal

A 21-year-old US man ended up in hospital after spending two hours trapped in a vat of chocolate, police in Wisconsin said on Friday.

The man said he had climbed into the tank before becoming trapped waist-deep in chocolate, police chief Randy Berner told AP news agency.

However, other reports suggest he was stirring the chocolate when he fell in.

Rescue workers and staff at the Debelis Corporation used cocoa-butter to thin out the chocolate and pull him free.

"It was pretty thick. It was virtually like quicksand," Captain Berner said.

"It's the first time I've ever heard of anything like this," he added.

The worker said his ankles were sore after the incident, and he was taken to a local hospital where he is recovering.

The accident involved dark chocolate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5264566.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:05 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
US man survives chocolate ordeal

A 21-year-old US man ended up in hospital after spending two hours trapped in a vat of chocolate, police in Wisconsin said on Friday.

The man said he had climbed into the tank before becoming trapped waist-deep in chocolate, police chief Randy Berner told AP news agency.

However, other reports suggest he was stirring the chocolate when he fell in.

Rescue workers and staff at the Debelis Corporation used cocoa-butter to thin out the chocolate and pull him free.

"It was pretty thick. It was virtually like quicksand," Captain Berner said.

"It's the first time I've ever heard of anything like this," he added.

The worker said his ankles were sore after the incident, and he was taken to a local hospital where he is recovering.

The accident involved dark chocolate.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5264566.stm

I usually dream that... Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:13 pm 

Holland's Big Brother 6 has started today... With a few changes from normal:

Most inhabitants have brought a relative. 2 of them are my cousins Monique and Sabrina. :oops:

The contestants were locked in a hotel a couple of days ago, without newspaper. Then they'll be brought to the house, without knowing what to expect:

The house doesn't have a garden, no-one is to go outside. Nasty, since not all of them are smokers. And especially nasty:
All windows and doors to the outside are tight shut and darkened, so NO NATURAL LIGHT CAN ACCESS. Apart from that, the BB directors control the light switches, and may switch on the lights at 3 SM or turn them off at 6PM so the inhabitants don't know when the day starts or ends. They're not allowed to wear watches or mobile phones, or make-up like lipstick or eyeliner (so they can't write stuff down).

The inhabitants don't know about that. And they may have to be stuck there for 100 days (though I doubt it).

Isn't this illegal or something? It's nothing short of torture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:22 pm 

BBP wrote:
Isn't this illegal or something? It's nothing short of torture.

Certainly it is not moraly acceptable.. Take a look at that:

Winning reality show is torture
British show uses `milder' forms allegedly used at Guantanamo

LONDON -They were held in cages and verbally abused. They were subjected to sleep deprivation, forced to remove their clothes, and exposed to extreme temperatures.

The alleged torture techniques used on suspected terrorists at the U.S. detention facility in Cuba may rile human rights groups, but a British television channel is betting the controversial methods also could provide perfect fodder for the ultimate reality TV show.

As part of its so-called ``torture season,'' Channel 4 -- the same channel that brought the reality TV hit Big Brother to the world -- plans to broadcast The Guantanamo Guidebook today.

The four-part series will re-create torture techniques apparently used by U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay. The series also will examine whether the knowledge gained from actual terrorist suspects was worth the kind of relentless abuse that some claim was heaped on them.

``Obviously we had to work within certain parameters of the law, and so we could only subject them to the milder forms of torture,'' said Yad Luthra, a spokesman for Channel 4.

Of the seven volunteer participants -- including three Muslims and four white Britons -- three failed to stay the 48-hour course.

One dropped out after eight hours upon showing signs of low body temperature. Another dropped out on religious grounds. A third simply had had enough after 40 hours.

``Two vomited and two wet in their pants,'' Luthra said.

The techniques were based on information from declassified U.S. documents. They were carried out by former U.S. military interrogators in a warehouse in east London, he said.

The U.S. government has denied using torture at the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, where many of the more than 500 detainees are being held without charge.

On Wednesday, U.S. Army officials announced that it was setting specific limits on the interrogation techniques used on prisoners of war and will link them more closely to international agreements such as the Geneva Conventions.

While Channel 4 says its series offers an important examination of whether torture is ever justified, others aren't so sure.

``I don't think turning torture into some kind of entertainment is a great idea,'' said John Beyer, director of Mediawatch UK, a TV watchdog group. ``Channel 4 has a reputation for broadcasting programs that are controversial simply for the sake of being controversial.''

But Steve Crawshaw, director of Human Rights Watch UK, said that the program could be helpful as a way of showing just how damaging even seemingly innocuous torture techniques can be. The group consulted with Channel 4 on the series.

Luthra said the seven volunteers had various reasons for participating in the program that had little to do with seeking their 15 minutes of fame.

``The Muslim guys very much wanted to act in solidarity with Muslims who've suffered,'' he said. Of the other participants, he said, ``Some went into it very hawkish about the whole thing and supportive of the methods.

``Of course, those people had changed their minds by the end,'' he said.

In case you didn't notice, Fox's Trading Spouses season finale was a couple weeks back, leaving Fox with a Monday night hole leading into 24.

American Idol is ably filling that slot for the near future, but starting on March 14, Fox will transplant one of its few reality hits from the fall into that Monday night slot (except for on nights when Idol specials can be manufactured at the last minute).

Nanny 911 will be in the 8 p.m. time period on Mondays.

Airing mostly on Wednesday nights after its November premiere, Nanny 911 averaged 8.2 million viewers for its first nine episodes, almost identical to the figures delivered by Trading Spouses in its Monday showings.

In other television news, the WB is looking to several big-time producers to boost its uneven record with comedies.

The network has ordered three comedy pilots from top-flight names Jerry Bruckheimer, Brian Grazer and Carsey-Werner (with an assist from Steve Martin), the showbiz trade papers report.

The Bruckheimer comedy comes from writers Ross McCall and Aaron Peters ( The Tom Green Show), with McCall's brother Marsh, a veteran of Just Shoot Me and I'm With Her, supervising the writing. It's about three guys who hire a female life coach to improve their romantic lives.

Carsey-Werner ( That '70s Show), meanwhile, is behind an untitled show from Mindy Kaling and Brenda Withers. Their show is about two women who set out to take New York by storm.

Martin and his producing partner, Joan Stein, are executive producing the project with Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner.

The third project, from Grazer's Imagine TV centers on a girl whose life is upended when her mom meets the previously anonymous sperm donor who's the girl's father.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment/11011778.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:10 am 

And what is wrong with people who want to watch this shit? I don't get it, never have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:15 am 

Listen, the desperados who apply to go on these shows particularly here in England, deserve what they get. They know what theyre letting themselves in for. I have no sympathy. It's a big ole heap of crap that show. I admit, I have watched it, but now I know how bad it can be, i'd rather poke myself in the eye with shitty sticks all day than have to watch it again.

(no offence intended to anyone btw, I am unaware of the format of Big Brother in other countries, I only know how pathetic and fame-hungry the contestants are here. Im unable to comment on it elsewhere.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:36 am 

the torture never stops....

just as big brother ends (love island not far behind thank gawd!), another fucking x-factor 'talent' 'reality' shit starts up..

i feel my brain turning to mush every time i happen upon these excuses for 'entertainment'! :x rarararr!1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:18 am 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Listen, the desperados who apply to go on these shows particularly here in England, deserve what they get. They know what theyre letting themselves in for. I have no sympathy. It's a big ole heap of crap that show. I admit, I have watched it, but now I know how bad it can be, i'd rather poke myself in the eye with shitty sticks all day than have to watch it again.

(no offence intended to anyone btw, I am unaware of the format of Big Brother in other countries, I only know how pathetic and fame-hungry the contestants are here. Im unable to comment on it elsewhere.)

Don't worry, my cousins are perfectly nice. Thing is, they weren't informed about having to be in the dark, and the network did everything to stop them from knowing by locking them into a hotel just prior to recording, without television or newspapers. And when the family got to say goodbye, they weren't allowed to talk about the show. Until the inhabitants went into the house, they still believed they could sit in the jacuzzi in the yard. So they don't know what they're letting themselves into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:35 am 

BBP wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Don't worry, my cousins are perfectly nice. Thing is, they weren't informed about having to be in the dark, and the network did everything to stop them from knowing by locking them into a hotel just prior to recording, without television or newspapers. And when the family got to say goodbye, they weren't allowed to talk about the show. Until the inhabitants went into the house, they still believed they could sit in the jacuzzi in the yard. So they don't know what they're letting themselves into.

Im glad you didnt take my comments as a slur on your relatives BBP, cos I didnt mean it that way. :lol:
I think generally, Big Brother is renowned for doing the unexpected as regards rules in the house. Isn't there any way they can get out? I know one contestant from the most recent series was in the news as she had pressed charges against the production team of Kidnap. She had asked to leave the house, and they kept her against her will for another 24 hours after she had been ejected from the main house. I don't know what the outcome was though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:47 am 

BBP wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

I think right there that would have been a clue not to allow yourself to be involved with this program. What is the prize for this torture? I don't think there is anything worth being locked up and having your civil liberties taken away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:32 am 

This is called media dehumanization...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:02 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:
BBP wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

I think right there that would have been a clue not to allow yourself to be involved with this program. What is the prize for this torture? I don't think there is anything worth being locked up and having your civil liberties taken away.

It's 50,000 Euros, that's approx. $60,000. And remember, they didn't know it, they just thought they'd have to be locked up in a cosy house with fresh eggs and bread every day, a sauna and a jacuzzi.

In the UK the programme makers tend to choose the ones that are the most likely to cause trouble, but the Dutch contestants seem to be pretty normal. Except for one girl who brought sleeping pills because she feared she couldn't sleep without having smoked pot.

Edit: sorry it's not, it works a lot more complicated. There's now 15 inhabitants. Each has a locker with 30,000 Euros. When somebody is voted off, he gets half of the money in his locker and puts the other half in the locker of an inhabitant of his choice. The winner gets all the money in his/her locker. So everybody gets at least 15,000 Euros, up to a maximum of 240,000 Euros.

Last edited by BBP on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:17 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:
BBP wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

I think maybe a case of those really huge novelty Hershey Bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:22 pm 

I just can't fathom why anyone would want to be a contestant in Big Brother or any of those other reality shows, even under the old rules. Getting locked up for weeks in a house with a couple of unknowns doesn't exactly seem like my idea of a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:34 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Listening to Mozart Heals Elephant's Depression P

Written by geri
Saturday, 29 July 2006

When zoo keepers realized that classical music seemed to help Suma, the elephant, cope with the grief brought on by a mate's death, they installed a stereo and showered the pachyderm with the healing vibes of Bach, Vivaldi, and her favorite, Mozart. (Sapa-AFP)

I was in India this summer. When my aunt and uncle took me to see an elephant, they told me to play some music for it. So I played it recordings of Inca Roads, and the Bagatelles by Webern. Those really got it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:26 am 

Studebaker wrote:
I just can't fathom why anyone would want to be a contestant in Big Brother or any of those other reality shows, even under the old rules. Getting locked up for weeks in a house with a couple of unknowns doesn't exactly seem like my idea of a good time.

I'm sure about the reasons from my cousins:

(I especially love those old Dutch bank notes on that picture)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:36 am 

Swedish blunder puts porn on news

Swedish state broadcaster SVT has admitted a "huge blunder" after a porn film was accidentally shown in the background of a news bulletin.

A five-minute news update shown at the weekend included explicit scenes from a Czech porn movie on a monitor behind the anchor Peter Dahlgren.

"This is highly embarrassing and unfortunate," said SVT's Per Yng.

The monitor had been switched by workers who had then forgotten to change it back, he told agency AP.

"It must not happen again," he added.

Rapporn

Usually, the monitor shows the output of other news channels - but the workers had changed it to watch a sports event on cable channel Canal Plus.

However, they did not remember to change the channel back - which, because Canal Plus shows adult content after midnight, resulted in the error.

A producer quickly spotted the sex scenes and ran into the control room and turned off the monitor, news director Mr Yng said.

"One monitor in the background, behind the newsreader, was showing some porn scenes," he said.

"It lasted no more than 30 seconds - only during the first item on the midnight news on Saturday."

While no viewers complained about the incident, he admitted there had been "enormous interest from media."

The show, called Rapport, has been renamed "Rapporn" by Swedish tabloids.

Magnus Akerlund, who oversees the hourly news updates, told Swedish newspapers he was "shocked and dismayed" at the mistake.

"It's a huge blunder by us," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5273706.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:00 am 

Bin Laden 'fantasised over' Whitney Houston

OSAMA bin Laden, the al-Qaeda leader, was obsessed with the singer Whitney Houston and wanted to marry her, a new book claims.

Kola Boof, a Sudanese poet and novelist, who says she was kept against her will as the terrorism mastermind's mistress in 1996, writes in her autobiography that he wanted to give the star a mansion and make her one of his wives.

"He told me that Whitney Houston was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen," Boof claims in Diary of a Lost Girl, excerpts of which are published in Harper's magazine.

But bin Laden had less respect for Houston's husband Bobby Brown, apparently talking about the possibility of having him killed.

"He said that he had a paramount desire for Whitney Houston and although he claimed music was evil, he spoke of some day spending vast amounts of money to go to America and try to arrange a meeting with the superstar," Boof writes.

"He said he wanted to give Whitney Houston a mansion that he owned in a suburb of Khartoum.

"He explained to me that to possess Whitney, he would be willing to break his colour rule and make her one of his wives."

Bin Laden would speak constantly about "how beautiful she [Houston] is, what a nice smile she has, how truly Islamic she is but is just brainwashed by American culture and by her husband - Bobby Brown, whom Osama talked about having killed, as if it were normal to have women's husbands killed."

Boof, who also says the al- Qaeda leader would "ramble on" about his favourite TV shows, The Wonder Years, Miami Vice and MacGyver, adds: "In his briefcase, I would come across photographs of the star, as well as copies of Playboy ... It would soon come to the point where I was sick of hearing Whitney Houston's name."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:03 pm 

US webcam watcher foils burglary

A man viewing a webcam in Liverpool from his home in Texas foiled a burglary after spotting thieves trying to break into a shop.

The man went online in Dallas in the United States, to view images of the city's famous Beatles quarter

But he saw a group of men scaling a ladder on Mathew Street - home to the Cavern Club.

He telephoned Merseyside Police and officers rushed to the scene and arrested three men.

The break-in took place at Blacks outdoor activity shop on Tuesday.

Window broken

Three men, all aged in their mid-30s, were arrested on suspicion of burglary and bailed pending further inquiries.

A spokesman for Merseyside Police said: "We received a call from a man in Dallas, Texas, who was watching a webcam and said he could see men removing property from a store.

"There was a ladder against a wall and a first-floor window had been broken, and the men were taking property out.

"Three men were arrested on suspicion of burglary and bailed.

"The investigation is ongoing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/5286516.stm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next