Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:07 pm 

Willis just hit me up offering up a Zappa package from $50 to $350. Something sounds suspicious. I remember him having some demons but I'm hoping he's dealt with them and this is legit. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:29 pm 

What's a "Zappa package"? I met Ike at a show about 5 years ago where he talked me into giving him $40.00 for his two solo CDs in which he would send them promptly to me at the end of the week when he got home from the tour. Well, after two years of "reminding" him via email and Facebook I finally got his Manager (Hank) to send them to me. When I got them they were just codes for a download (I was expecting physical CDs). I had fun talking to Ike at the show and I got a good story out of it but I would be wary about giving him any money in advance of anything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:35 pm 

Was afraid of this...fell off the wagon I guess. :-(.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:39 pm 

If you're a fan: caveat emptor

If you're a friend: I once lent him $25, and he repaid the loan. Not only that, he forgot that he had repaid me, and he tried to repay a second time. This was in the course of a few weeks time.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:47 am 

Wow, sounds fucked up. Hope he is doing okay. Heard some really bad stuff about him.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:22 am 

I saw Ike with Banned From Utopia(1999) and P/O(2001-2). I remember seeing people handing him cash. I was probably broke, so he didn't get my $. The bar got what little I had.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:29 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I had fun talking to Ike at the show and I got a good story out of it

It's not a very good story. Ike Willis took you for a mark and tried to rip you off. 20 bucks a piece for his solo cd's? And two years to deliver? What a dick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:35 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I had fun talking to Ike at the show and I got a good story out of it

It's not a very good story. Ike Willis took you for a mark and tried to rip you off. 20 bucks a piece for his solo cd's? And two years to deliver? What a dick.

Live and learn. I've seen Ike perform twice since then. Very talented guy but he just seems very weary and unhealthy. I remember him saying to no one in particular the first time I saw him as he was walking down the hall "I'm too old for this shit". But I did enjoy talking to him. He was very open about his career path (he could have been a lawyer), college football (he was a wide receiver and spent some time training with Terry Metcalf), Frank (he was a great guy), Gail (she didn't like me because I was a young inner city black guy and Frank made me the front man of his band and she resented that Frank and him had such a good time together), Dweezil (I used to to babysit him), Steve Vai, Vinnie, and on and on. He certainly liked to talk even though some of it may have been BS - especially the stuff about Gail. So I'll stick with my theory that I got a good story out of it flawed as Ike appears.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 pm 

^ That's cool. I didn't mean to dis your story, just the part about Ike hustling you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:04 am 

Does he still get on with Ray? Because I heard Ray was a very devout Christian so he probably wouldn't approve of his behavior.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:13 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Does he still get on with Ray? Because I heard Ray was a very devout Christian so he probably wouldn't approve of his behavior.

They get along like brothers that get along. A whole lotta love.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:41 pm 

I shouldn't have called him a dick. I don't know him or what he's been through. It's just a little disheartening because KUII trusted him and the trust was blown. That's between KUII and Ike, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:30 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I shouldn't have called him a dick. I don't know him or what he's been through. It's just a little disheartening because KUII trusted him and the trust was blown. That's between KUII and Ike, though.

Don't worry DM. It's not the first time a big rock star has broken my heart. Btw, it's KUIII not KUII. I killed off KUII (KillUgly 2) a couple years ago. He lies in the family plot next to the original KillUgly and a few other Zappa Forum ancestors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:20 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
devout Christian

Two scary words around these parts. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:00 am 

Philostopher wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:
devout Christian

Two scary words around these parts. :mrgreen:

Be afraid, be very afraid.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:10 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

They get along like brothers that get along. A whole lotta love.

I met Ray at the concert in Chico in 2013 when Terri was very sick and doing Chemo, he was very kind and immediately called his wife and asked her to put Terri on the Prayer Chain at their church, he then gave me a signed guitar tuner for her...he was a very nice man and truly interested in our situation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:51 pm 

He always seemed pretty cool. But would often vanish mid tour or just before tour.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:25 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
He always seemed pretty cool. But would often vanish mid tour or just before tour.

According to Ike's website (www.ikewillis.com) he was in Frank's bands from the fall of 1978 through the final 1988 tour but didn't tour in 1981 or 1982 because of personal reasons. I've never heard from any source what those personal reasons were.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:03 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I've never heard from any source what those personal reasons were.

gz …I can say no more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 pm 

KUIII wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

According to Ike's website (http://www.ikewillis.com) he was in Frank's bands from the fall of 1978 through the final 1988 tour but didn't tour in 1981 or 1982 because of personal reasons. I've never heard from any source what those personal reasons were.

The reason Ike wasn't on those tours was because he had just had kids and wanted to be with family.

I probably should have made it clear that my last post was about Ray White.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:47 pm 

FOR SALE

easy payments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:34 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
KUIII wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

According to Ike's website (http://www.ikewillis.com) he was in Frank's bands from the fall of 1978 through the final 1988 tour but didn't tour in 1981 or 1982 because of personal reasons. I've never heard from any source what those personal reasons were.

The reason Ike wasn't on those tours was because he had just had kids and wanted to be with family.

I probably should have made it clear that my last post was about Ray White.

Yeah, I talked to Ray at a Project/Object concert last year and he was very nice and funny. When some random guy walked past us he told him that I was his son, and I'm not even black. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:55 am 

Ray White is indeed a cool mother fucker. He's always been my favorite FZ singer and I got the chance to hang with him for quite some time back at one of the shows on the 2007 ZPZ tour. Signed both my copies of the Drafted 12".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:13 pm 

a buddy of mine played bass in a band with Ray Whites nephew , Tony White, the band was WhiteLine he is a great player and person........https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6633_n.jpg Tony on guitar , jamie on bass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:33 pm 

Okay...what did he do that was so bad that Ike had to get fired from the tour?