Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu May 05, 2016 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:46 pm 

I was wondering how some of you older fans felt when you first heard of his illness and passing? How did you find out? Did it hit you hard?
I was only 2 when he passed. I've been a fan for about 7 or so years now and a hard-core fan for about 4. I knew he was dead from the very beginning but it hit me like a ton of bricks how devastating it was after watching the famous Salad Party videos on YouTube a few years ago.

How do you feel after all this time?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 pm 

I saw it on the main Brazilian TV evening news journal then. I was surprised, for I thought Frank Zappa was a fellow who used to play football matches in our neighbourhood. Besides we are friend with some genuine local Zappas. Only then I learned that FZ was a prolific musician and producer. I would have to wait one more full year and couple of months until I was exposed to a friend's mixed tape with Zappa, Hendrix and Ramones. Zappa (St-Alphonzo, (') title-track and Zomby-Woof) immediately blew me away, and I was obsessed with it since then... he never ceased to amaze me, to this day.

There are some ol' threads about this or related subjects around...

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:50 pm 

I was shocked and devastated.

I didn't realize how sick he was. My father-in-law had been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in July, 1992, so I was preoccupied with that and how it was affecting my wife's family, and hence was out of the loop as to what was going on with Frank.

He died in the fall of '93, and then the estate had to be settled, etc. When I heard of Frank's death I was caught off guard. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I became depressed and grieved for a good 1-2 months.

Like many other forum members, I've never fully gotten over it and I still get upset thinking about it.

The only other ones I can mention in the same breath in terms of the effect it had on me when it happened is John Lennon (because of how it happened), Leonard Bernstein, and Stanley Kubrick.

But Frank's death was the absolute worst.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:27 pm 

If someone could dig up the old threads that would be great. I know I commented on them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:18 pm 

I was a hollow guy for many Months after learning of FZ's passing, it was as though I had lost a close friend.

The more I hear, see and read about FZ the more I miss him.....

Even after all these years there are some of his songs that can still make me tear up they are so beautiful.

When GZ passed away last October and zappa.com had her photo up with sofa playing I cried like a baby, sofa gets me every time

damn, here I go again! :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:51 pm 

It was about three months after I emigrated to Australia - I was going through a major upheaval, and sad as it was, my own problems were foremost in my head.
TT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:51 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
When GZ passed away last October and zappa.com had her photo up with sofa playing I cried like a baby, sofa gets me every time

I remember that. It was hard.

When I hear the opening notes of the solo from WNIB? It really sends tingles up my spine. The song seems so alive yet nostalgic and it makes me feel as if I remember Frank's life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:41 pm 

We all knew it was coming. When YS came out, I remember looking at that sad cover and going oh shit. I didn't know how much time he had left, but that cover made me think it was sooner rather than later.

Looking back, I think I might have been in shock. I didn't go looking through obituaries or media articles about Frank. I sort of sat and let it seep in that a major part of my life was gone and that hole would of course never be filled. My wife, a Zappa hater, had kind words for me, to her credit. She had always called loving Frank's music my life's work, and perhaps she was right. There wasn't a forum then, and no place to really talk to anyone or listen to FZ's music with. I kept thinking there's not going to be any more new music. I'm a fan going back to 1967, and I'd never known what it would be like to not have this constant supply of incredible music year after year after year.....

I was also angry! What the fuck? No more Frank? I couldn't believe it. And then it came out that he was in a physician's care and they'd not given him the basic prostate test. Couldn't fucking believe it. Later, I think during an interview with CBS news, Frank dispelled that fact. But at the time, it pissed me off.

Damn. Sure do miss him.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:51 pm 

KUIII wrote:
If someone could dig up the old threads that would be great. I know I commented on them.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5511&hilit=where+frank+died

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:08 pm 

pedro2 wrote:
KUIII wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5511&hilit=where+frank+died

Thanks Pedro!