Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:37 am 

I look at blues the same way I look at 'ethnic' music.

Irish music and Indian music is wonderful, but it all sounds the same texturally. Indian music is somewhat saved by the improvisational factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:51 am 

the blues didn't came out of a horse annus,
it doesn't smell like shit,
it's not the product of digested grass,
you can't shoot your gay cowboy guns while riding on muddy waters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:26 pm 

FeralCats wrote:
I look at blues the same way I look at 'ethnic' music.

Irish music and Indian music is wonderful, but it all sounds the same texturally. Indian music is somewhat saved by the improvisational factor.

This is false because there is so much diversity in all of these styles. There is fiddle styles from each county of ireland to be acknowledged. They play things in one area that would not be heard in another. Indian music instrumentation varies widely and also has very complicated structures and soloing "techniques" which must be mastered before simply "improvising". to classify something as ethnic really means very little. Balkan music has tons of improvisation and odd time signatures and complex melodies. Although they also contain some of the same elements es it's much different from scottish or african. The diversity is much too large to classify things as ethnic. Then pop is ethnic music particular to mostly brainwashed unimaginative morons of western descent.

blues does come from african music brought to a new place from people disconnected from their original heritage. It is crucial and the basis of jazz and rock and country in conjunction with other western symphonic and "ethnic" styles such as scottish and irish. I personally think any modern guitarist must first be aquainted with and be able to play blues. It's called payin your dues and respecting original roots.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:37 am 

just listened to the first johnny winter album, fuck that man was awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:02 pm 

Of course, I agree Muziko. I'm indian, I grew up around the stuff.

When I say it 'sounds the same texturally', I mean that it all carries the 'aroma' of where it's from. Ya know what I mean..? And so many people work solely off of 'aroma'. But it actually IS different.

Yeah.

*PS. Yeah, I also think the 'Ethnic' tag is bogus. Which is why I put it in quotations all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:14 pm 

I hear you man. I get sick of these punks dissin the blues. They are so ignorant and full of horseshit themselves. Who is this dipshit asshole mr. mono dr. of proctology no doubt enjoys it very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:52 pm 

Stupid way to start a thread this way, but wtf.

Some good replies though.

And about the opening verses:

"Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,"

is hardly about people waking up in the morning.
It's about people not waking up at all anymore.
And about the history of an entire nation in the passing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:42 am 

Rikm wrote:
Stupid way to start a thread this way, but wtf.

Some good replies though.

And about the opening verses:

"Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,"

is hardly about people waking up in the morning.
It's about people not waking up at all anymore.
And about the history of an entire nation in the passing.

Just the history of Billie Holiday being banned from singing that song to the white crowds in even places like New York city and her defiance by singing it is testamony to the powers of the blues. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:54 pm 

Convince me youre not an idiot dr mono, Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:23 pm 

Alright, convince me modern country is not shit. Then when my wife puts on that crapfest I can enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:32 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Alright, convince me modern country is not shit. Then when my wife puts on that crapfest I can enjoy it.

try to imagine kenny rogers singing inca roads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:34 pm 

googly moogly wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

try to imagine kenny rogers singing inca roads

"You picked a fine time to leave me Guacamole Queen"

Nah, doesn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:48 pm 

or driving an 18-wheeler full of string beans to Utah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:12 pm 

she had that camarillo brillo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:15 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Brad paisley is a very good guitarist, singer and entertainer. There are alot of good country musicians and bands. You don't have to like it. But it's not shit. i don't care for it much either. But it speaks to some people. so be it. It's like saying children's music is shit. So don't listen to it you're not a child. If you don't like something avoid it. But that doesn't mean it is necessarily shit.

Allow people to have the music they want. Even assholes like marilyn manson may have some valid things to say. But I'm not going to find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:11 pm 

muziko wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Brad paisley is a very good guitarist, singer and entertainer. There are alot of good country musicians and bands. You don't have to like it. But it's not shit. i don't care for it much either. But it speaks to some people. so be it. It's like saying children's music is shit. So don't listen to it you're not a child. If you don't like something avoid it. But that doesn't mean it is necessarily shit.

Allow people to have the music they want. Even assholes like marilyn manson may have some valid things to say. But I'm not going to find out.

Brad Paisley? WTF? If you are going to say that its not shit, you may want to provide some reasons why. I'll grant you that he is, in fact, an entertainer, but the rest is incomprehensible to me. "Allow people..."? The big business music machine creates people like Brad Paisley and then delivers it to people who have no idea what they are listening to. They don't care how shitty the stuff in their ears is and I can't make em care. That doesn't mean that Paisley, country music, the blues or anything else is good, nor does it mean that anyone here can stop its propagation. Of course there is good and bad country music, as with most genres, like the blues.
Oh, yeah, and yes Marilyn Manson does have something to say and it is sometimes interesting to hear him speak. But, his music, not so much.
Now, lets hear about Brad Paisley's talents... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:56 pm 

I remember hearing him on austin city limits or some show and being impressed with him. he can actually play the guitar and sing pretty well. he's a decent songwriter doing his thing. Why does that bother you? there is nothing wrong with a guy playing music for a living. You don't have to like it. You can claim he is a product and there may be some truth to that. Whatever. you sound very bitter. it's just music don't listen to it if you don't like it. but the guy can play guitar and write some decent songs. i can't say i listen to him. but there are alot of very talented people in the country music business. And music is a business for some people. it's how they make a living. True they sell ford trucks and shit like that and I don't like that. but that doesn't mean the guy didn't have something in the way of talent first. maybe he got ruined by the business. And maybe it helped him to become a better player in some ways.

What the hell are you doing to help make the world a better place that you should dis people who are doing what they want to do??

marilyn manson yeah he's a better role model and a fucking intelligent asshole. i'm sick of all these crack smokin assholes making millions and thinking they have the right to tell kids to commit suicide. That fuckingpunk said he'd even do it on stage and backed out. cause he's a big fucking pussy. he had a hard childhood shit he had it so fucking soft compared to most of the world. Why would anyone support a fucking insane asshole like that. the same people who support bush and his scumbags.

the big business music machine creates asswipes like marilyn manson. brad paisley was way more talented then that creepy scumbag before he ever got any attention. You're pulling shit out your ass here. You think it's all a big scam and someone is pulling the wool over the public's eyes all the time. in reality they are providing music for people who might like that sort of thing. What the fuck are you doing?

You are intolerant of an honest songwriter and would back up a piece of shit like marilyn fagson. Why would you tolerate a piece of shit? Love peace and put shit on your plate and tolerate it . it's cool man. at least brad paisley has some fucking class.

So i also happen to think the dixie chicks are good musicians. Does that bug you? they should also probably not be allowed to be heard in your perfect world we would only listen to frank Zappa and marilyn manson. You don't like it don't fucking listen to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:21 pm 

pretty much most of contemporary country (read:"pop") is not that great, but gimme patsy cline or willie nelson, people either "real" country music or a little different from what nashville usually deems proper. when kd lang first came out, she was definately not your average country singer. lyle lovett belongs in there as well when he first began.if you listen to kd or lyle now, they certainly are'nt pop, they play what they want. other than that...i don't have that much use for country music. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:28 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

who came 1st .. the country or the blues ?

woke up this mornin'
caught th 1st horse outa town (repeat)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:47 am 

Most popular modern country "artists" are just frustrated rockers. I'll take some good southern or classic rock over modern country any day.

they never won't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:16 am 

How this thread get from blues to country in just two pages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:58 pm 

Rikm wrote:
How this thread get from blues to country in just two pages?

Some idiot mentioned country.

But anyhow, I wasn't really serious, was just trying to make a point - be it blues or country, it's really hard to get someone to listen to a style of music that they don't care for and never will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:59 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
pretty much most of contemporary country (read:"pop") is not that great, but gimme patsy cline or willie nelson, people either "real" country music or a little different from what nashville usually deems proper. when kd lang first came out, she was definately not your average country singer. lyle lovett belongs in there as well when he first began.if you listen to kd or lyle now, they certainly are'nt pop, they play what they want. other than that...i don't have that much use for country music. :P

Oh yeah Dove....Patsy Cline! Don't care for Willie - I always thought Patsy singing added a bit of something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:29 pm 

Anyone ever see that episode of The Simpsons, where Willie Nelsons hair gets tangled in his hair braiding machine on the tourbus? Hahahahaa. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:16 pm 

Blues is cool in the right context. Straight up blues from beginning to end is pretty boring for me. I admit though in a live setting it can be quite engaging and fun to hear.

What I like about Zappa's style of blues is the hooks... his lyrics are funny and his playing is just plain different to my ears. He has a lot of wacky runs from time to time... and like I said earlier it's the context. Throw some blues into a song like San Ber'dino and you have a winner everytime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next