It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roy Estrada quotes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:38 am 

Zappa's Mothers jazz up festival circuit

MARSHA LEDERMAN

The Globe and Mail

June 24, 2008

VANCOUVER -- In contemplating Frank Zappa's career, jazz might not be the first genre that comes to mind. But Zappa was influenced by jazz, wrote music for jazz ensembles (he also put out an album of experimental rock instrumentals called Jazz From Hell) and was influential in establishing the jazz-rock fusion genre.

And in case there was any question about Zappa's lasting influence on the jazz scene, some members of his old band, the Mothers of Invention, are setting things straight as they make the rounds of the jazz festival circuit. Now calling themselves the Grande Mothers, they play both the TD Canada Trust Vancouver International Jazz Festival and Jazzfest International 2008 in Victoria this week.

"Everything was an influence for Frank," band member Roy Estrada said yesterday from Winnipeg, where the group played the Jazz Winnipeg Festival on Sunday. "You can tell by his music that jazz was a big influence."

Zappa died in 1993. In 2001, former members of the Mothers of Invention reunited to keep Zappa's music alive. The nucleus of the band consists of three former band members - Napolean Murphy Brock (lead vocals, tenor saxophone, flute), Don Preston (keyboards) and Estrada (vocals, bass). They are joined by Miroslav Tadic (electric guitar) and Christopher Garcia (drums). The ages of the Mothers of Invention alumni - ranging from 65 to 75 - don't stop them from rocking out on stage, Estrada, 65, insists.

"Us five make a good sound," he says. "It's a great show."

The set will feature a range of Zappa's music - with a fair bit from Burnt Weeny Sandwich, a jazz fusion album that Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention released in 1970.

"I think he likes what we're doing," Estrada says of his late musical collaborator. "We're keeping his music alive. That's the main thing. There's so much out there right now and I think he was one of the better composers of the 20th century, you know. So he's the cat to be heard."

For jazz purists, the Vancouver festival kicked off this weekend with some big audience-pleasers. Herbie Hancock focused heavily on material from his most recent album, the Joni Mitchell tribute River: The Joni Letters, but surprised the sold-out crowd with a show that turned into a sort of career retrospective (a set list that did not, incidentally, include Rockit).

Charlie Haden, playing to a packed house, dedicated his show Saturday night to peace in the world.

On Friday in Vancouver, when the Grande Mothers hit the stage, it will be particularly satisfying for Ken Pickering, who has been the artistic director of the jazz festival since its inception more than 20 years ago. "There was always a dream of getting Frank Zappa to the festival," Pickering says. "This is the next best thing."

The Grande Mothers play the Commodore Ballroom on Friday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 am 

Zappa legacy lives on
Grande Mothers keep humour to fore as they continue to fly the freak flag high

Adrian Chamberlain
Times Colonist

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

PREVIEW

What: The Grande Mothers

When: Thursday, 9:30 p.m.

Where: Sugar nightclub

Tickets: $18 (250-386-6121)

Roy Estrada erupted into maniacal laughter when asked if the Grande Mothers will play Skweezit Skweezit Skweezit in Victoria.

The song title summons rib-tickling memories for Estrada, an original member of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. The 1969 recording of Skweezit Skweezit Skweezit featured an unorthodox field recording. Band member Bunk Gardner had recorded a love-making session with a highly vocal woman. Zappa mischievously added it to his song.

When the Mothers performed Skweezit Skweezit Skweezit live, Estrada made his own contributions to the sexy exclamations, yelling out things like: "Right there, Bunk! Oh God, oh God!"

Calling from his home in Orange County, Calif., Estrada recalled: "I went in and started mimicking [the sex tape] on stage. That was part of it. Squeeze it! Squeeze it! And the first time we did it, she was out in the audience. She told me, 'You did it better than I did!' "

For those too young to remember, Frank Zappa and the Mothers were gonzo rock 'n' roll satirists who started in the 1960s. Zappa's album titles hint at his anti-establishment sensibility: Freak Out!, We're Only in It for the Money and Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

His songs include My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama and Who Are the Brain Police? It's wild stuff. However, Zappa -- influenced by such composers as Stravinsky and Stockhausen -- is today recognized as one of rock's best and most innovative songsmiths.

Although Zappa died of cancer in 1993, the Grande Mothers continue to fly his freak flag high, playing his compositions with dollops of crazy humour. As well as 65-year-old bassist Estrada, the Grande Mothers include fellow original members Don Preston (vocalist/keyboardist) and Napoleon Brock (lead vocalist/saxophonist).

Members of the Mothers of Invention have performed on and off as the Grande Mothers since 1980. Estrada joined in 2000 -- previously, he was too busy raising a son to tour.

The Grande Mothers won't revive Skweezit Skweezit Skweezit at Sugar nightclub on Thursday. Estrada says the set list will include Call Any Vegetable and songs from the 1966 Freak Out! double-album.

Estrada was a member of the Soul Giants, the early 1960s bar band that became the Mothers of Invention. Before Zappa joined, the group played such R&B covers as In the Midnight Hour and Gloria. When their guitar player was drafted, one of the Soul Giants said he knew of another musician to replace him.

"And that turned out to be Frank," Estrada said.

When the Soul Giants decided work up some original material, Zappa was more than happy to fill the void. Estrada said his songs were offbeat even then. "They were different. They were kind of challenging. It was fun playing it, and we had a lot of fun doing it."

The Soul Giants morphed into the Mothers of Invention. In those early days, the Mothers ate, drank and slept music.

Zappa's original songs were strange enough to get them fired from clubs regularly. Eventually, though, the music found an audience. Estrada has fond memories of performing at the Garrick Theatre, a tiny venue above the legendary Cafe au Go Go in Greenwich Village. The Mothers started goofing around in performance, doing funny things with stuffed giraffes and chickens, Estrada said.

Despite the laughs, Estrada quit the Mothers of Invention in 1969. He wasn't making enough money to sustain himself.

In 1970 he co-founded the band Little Feat with Lowell George, who had also been a member of the Mothers. When Little Feat didn't find immediate commercial success, Estrada quit to join Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, known for its avant-garde freak-outs and the influential album Trout Mask Replica.

"He was way out there," said Estrada, laughing.

Zappa had a reputation as a tough bandleader, but Estrada -- who returned to tour with him in the mid-'70s -- said he wasn't witness to this. Zappa's taskmaster side emerged after he began writing out music charts and hiring only musicians who could read them, he said.

"I think that's when he became, like, the master. You could just tell he was a different person, you know," Estrada said.

"We always respected Frank. I did, anyway. I didn't have any regrets. Later on, we just had hurt feeling [because] he didn't show his appreciation, you know. Monetarily."

Estrada admits that in the old days, playing Zappa's music was a little more exciting. That's because it was new and ground-breaking.

"But we're having fun now, because it's a whole new audience," he added. "We've had a lot of people cry. Grown men cry. We send them back to the times, I guess."

achamberlain@tc.canwest.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm 

dweezil really ought to invite roy estrada to do something with zpz.

if not playing the bass, but at least sing some falsetto vocals.

it's obvious that frank always had a deep respect for estrada.

Post subject: Re: Roy Estrada quotes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:53 pm 

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: meck maok it thing thats how u spell it or mabe mick monk :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Roy Estrada sucks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 pm 

Wanna piece of candy little girl? :evil:

This thread was started way before RE got busted for having "short eye's".

He was a very nice boy.........he used to cut my grass! :roll:

He used to be a cool former Mother. Now he's just another piece of shit convict. Who knows how many lives he's ruined. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:47 am 

For anyone that needs to get their datelines in order it should be noted that public record shows that Roy Estrada's problems date back to the 70s.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 pm 

Yep a day before he can be seen on Baby Snakes 1977 :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
For anyone that needs to get their datelines in order it should be noted that public record shows that Roy Estrada's problems date back to the 70s.

Yes and as we all know he was a real perv long before that !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Don't rock and roll band leaders do background checks on their employees before they take them out on the road to entertain our children? :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Don't rock and roll band leaders do background checks on their employees before they take them out on the road to entertain our children? :P

Absolutely, they usually get their alleged money laundering, arm's dealing, drug running lawyers to check 'em out.

Post subject: Re: roy estrada
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm 

in 2008 Lumpy Gravy wrote:

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
This thread was started way before RE got busted for having "short eyes".
yes, this is an old thread. I would not have posted the above quote knowing what we know now.

Post subject: Re: roy estrada
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
in 2008 Lumpy Gravy wrote:

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
This thread was started way before RE got busted for having "short eyes".
yes, this is an old thread. I would not have posted the above quote knowing what we know now.

Ya. I really liked his voice and said so many times. But now.....shit he even ruined parts of Baby Snakes for me. Bummer dude and a short eyed dead man now.