Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How would you rate this interview compared with other Frank Zappa interviews you've read?
Different and more interesting than any I've seen 36%  36%  [ 15 ]
Pretty much on par with other interviews I've been 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Not as good as most of the others I've seen 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
It sucks 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
It totally rocks 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 42
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9942
very good one, big larry, you got zappa to relax a bit and spew forth some classic fz propaganda on the day of the mudd club show

new spin on the packaging fetishist [at least 50% of the charm of the record is the package]

send it to afka.net

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 7:17 am
Posts: 55
Location: Davie FL and Stroudsburg PA
calvin2hikers wrote:
I voted "It sucks" just because.


...a zoot allure, that is.

Big Larry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:06 pm
Posts: 1992
Location: Canada
Good interview thanks!!

_________________
Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peut avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Posts: 703
Location: next door
BigLarry wrote:
Well, as I posted earlier, one of the most memorable days of my life was 08 May 1980


now that's interesting,, because on the night of May 7th 1980, me, Pedro 1, and about six other friends of mine were sitting 3rd row center at the University of Cincinnati Fieldhouse watching what I recall as one of the best Zappa shows I've seen,, (opened with Chunga's Revenge,, right ??),, and I remember bullshitting with Bald Headed John before the show,,,,

_________________
Image
if you knew suzie, like I know suzie, oh, oh, oh what a creamcheese,,,,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:13 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:12 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Western New York
Wow, can't believe I didn't notice this interview till now. What a fuckin' goldmine of wisdom. He definitely was more relaxed with you as opposed to the dreaded rock journalist. A few new tidbits of info. Probably the post of the year in my view. Kudos Larry!! Your a swell MOFO.
8)

_________________
"Too weird to live, too rare to die"-Hunter S. Thompson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 1
Location: california
Big Larry,
good job. my brother Bob sent it to me and it's probably the best thing we've ever read our brother do. I miss Frank everyday and it's nice to read something from him that is so honest and real. thanks again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3908
gone


Last edited by brainpang on Fri May 02, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:54 am
Posts: 4295
Location: En-Ger-Land
Thanks for sharing, Larry! 8)

_________________
"Listen to that noise! It's like Barry White eating wasps."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 am
Posts: 304
Location: from a garage in Canoga Park
That was absolutely brilliant, mate.
I read it all whilst listening to CPIII.

_________________
www.thezeitgeistmovement.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:05 am
Posts: 4
Location: Paris, France
"...FZ: How can you get a fair deal? A guy wants to become an attorney. Why? Because he loves the law? No! Because he wants some fuckin' money!. Do you want to sit there and go through all those dumb books for years on end because you're a nice person? You want to rake in the bucks. That's why they go. That's why your parents sent you there and that's why you're gonna get out of there. You're gonna get a good job and be real rich..."

Question to the OP: Did you become what is a/m said? or do you try to be less an asshole than the majority....?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Cape Cod
Thanks Larry, Really enjoyed this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5947
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
I voted this sucks as I can't find any other evidence for the quotes or interview anywhere apart from this thread. Furthermore, you're actually trying to sell two books unrelated to Zappa.

Sounds fishy to me.

Zappa always repeated a lot of stuff in various interviews and Zappa was a small c social conservative, not a fiscal conservative - there's a massive difference.

However, if you can provide further evidence to back this up, I'll gladly change my mind.

It's also well known that the Zappa's vote Democrat, so your point about the libertarians seems at odds with things. I know the political centre has swung wildly to the right, but Zappa would have never supported a system where the richest suckled from the dried up teats of the poorest.

_________________
Solipsism
Solipsism Bandcamp - Full discography can be bought for 50% discount
Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Soundcloud
Solipsism Shitface


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5947
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
some other glaringly bizarre comments in this interview are that Zappa is quoted as saying socialist countries produce rubbish art and music (I paraphrase), yet his favourite composers were European and all of Europe is largely socialist in nature compared to the USA. We also know that Zappa was not a great afficianado of the visual arts; his cartoonish style, or rather Cal Schenkel's would be laughed off in any first year art degree as raw or lacking talent. While some of the greatest artists in history are from socialist countries.

As Gore Vidal said (and I paraphrase once more) the only artform America invented was advertising and they use it to sell soap powder and presidents to you.

_________________
Solipsism
Solipsism Bandcamp - Full discography can be bought for 50% discount
Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Soundcloud
Solipsism Shitface


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15820
7 years later...."Wait, something didn't seem right about that interview!"

_________________
I got friends who will give me fluck all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5947
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
calvin2hikers wrote:
7 years later...."Wait, something didn't seem right about that interview!"


I've been away, first time I've seen the interview and it's 8, nearly 9 years later, the original post was 2007. I can see we're going to get on great again Cal. They have new medication for the menopause now, I'll pm you a link.

_________________
Solipsism
Solipsism Bandcamp - Full discography can be bought for 50% discount
Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Soundcloud
Solipsism Shitface


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 3450
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
Solipsism


You've got enough decent material for a 15 minute EP, man. That's it. Why so many releases? And why are you charging people money?

[As a conceptually and symbolically based principle, Solipsism suggests an intensive subjective experience in relationship to the primordial self. From an empirical-musical angle the side project from Craig Murphy perfectly illustrates the intrinsic characteristic of sound, related to a perceptual phenomenon and thus orientated to a meaningful dialogue between the solipsist subject (imagination, creation and inner feelings) and the world (experienced, embodied…). The leading musical arguments are focused on a topology of buzzing drone textures, heavily processed electronics and moving micro-tonal harmonious guitar tones. Published by the dynamic and independent Herb Recordings Weaving spiders can be appreciated as an experimental lysergic ambient effort.

There is a great emphasis on timbre and depth in the living compositional organism throughout the album. Far to be monolithic and massively minimalist, the content is incredibly active and divinely evocative. Each soundscape is sustained by luminously hypnotic guitar chords in relation to a gorgeously cinematic direction. The result is not so far from mesmeric-buzzing drone and guitar based efforts from Aidan Baker, Troum or Tim Hecker but here the emphasis is put on emotions, colors, light and forms with a taste for elaborate psychoacoustic effects. All the semantic-musical ingredients make this opus quite unique.

Weaving spiders is a magnificent and sonically meditative sound experience, colorfully ritualistic, spherical and deeply absorbing. The music takes advantages to visual-perceptual forms, tonal clusters which activate a discreet dialogue between the subjective memory of the listener and the complex sound environment. No mistake and perfectly achieved emotional based drone release. Absolutely recommended and possibly a timeless release.
]


This is the kind of bullshit people write in an attempt to disguise the fact that they have not worked hard enough to attain real musical skills. If only your music could speak for itself then those ridiculous words would be unnecessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 4461
Location: Vancouver, BC
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I voted this sucks as I can't find any other evidence for the quotes or interview anywhere apart from this thread. Furthermore, you're actually trying to sell two books unrelated to Zappa.

Sounds fishy to me.

Zappa always repeated a lot of stuff in various interviews and Zappa was a small c social conservative, not a fiscal conservative - there's a massive difference.

However, if you can provide further evidence to back this up, I'll gladly change my mind.

It's also well known that the Zappa's vote Democrat, so your point about the libertarians seems at odds with things. I know the political centre has swung wildly to the right, but Zappa would have never supported a system where the richest suckled from the dried up teats of the poorest.


Most of Zappa's beliefs were definitely Libertarian (a platform which you clearly do NOT understand, considering your last sentence, let alone how a free market works) and the interview in question proves that without a doubt. The party even met with him at his home in 1987 to go over the platform (before they chose Ron Paul in 1988). And while FZ didn't agree with all of it, he did agree with most of it. And the only reason why he voted for Dukakis and Clinton in '88 & '92 was by default, because he didn't want Bush Snr. in office...

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
some other glaringly bizarre comments in this interview are that Zappa is quoted as saying socialist countries produce rubbish art and music (I paraphrase), yet his favourite composers were European and all of Europe is largely socialist in nature compared to the USA. We also know that Zappa was not a great afficianado of the visual arts; his cartoonish style, or rather Cal Schenkel's would be laughed off in any first year art degree as raw or lacking talent. While some of the greatest artists in history are from socialist countries.


I think FZ was making a general comment. His point TOTALLY went over your head, unsurprisingly.

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
As Gore Vidal said (and I paraphrase once more) the only artform America invented was advertising and they use it to sell soap powder and presidents to you.


So Rock 'N' Roll isn't an art form?!

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:50 am
Posts: 5947
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Disco Boy wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I voted this sucks as I can't find any other evidence for the quotes or interview anywhere apart from this thread. Furthermore, you're actually trying to sell two books unrelated to Zappa.

Sounds fishy to me.

Zappa always repeated a lot of stuff in various interviews and Zappa was a small c social conservative, not a fiscal conservative - there's a massive difference.

However, if you can provide further evidence to back this up, I'll gladly change my mind.

It's also well known that the Zappa's vote Democrat, so your point about the libertarians seems at odds with things. I know the political centre has swung wildly to the right, but Zappa would have never supported a system where the richest suckled from the dried up teats of the poorest.


Most of Zappa's beliefs were definitely Libertarian (a platform which you clearly do NOT understand, considering your last sentence, let alone how a free market works) and the interview in question proves that without a doubt. The party even met with him at his home in 1987 to go over the platform (before they chose Ron Paul in 1988). And while FZ didn't agree with all of it, he did agree with most of it. And the only reason why he voted for Dukakis and Clinton in '88 & '92 was by default, because he didn't want Bush Snr. in office...

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
some other glaringly bizarre comments in this interview are that Zappa is quoted as saying socialist countries produce rubbish art and music (I paraphrase), yet his favourite composers were European and all of Europe is largely socialist in nature compared to the USA. We also know that Zappa was not a great afficianado of the visual arts; his cartoonish style, or rather Cal Schenkel's would be laughed off in any first year art degree as raw or lacking talent. While some of the greatest artists in history are from socialist countries.


I think FZ was making a general comment. His point TOTALLY went over your head, unsurprisingly.

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
As Gore Vidal said (and I paraphrase once more) the only artform America invented was advertising and they use it to sell soap powder and presidents to you.


So Rock 'N' Roll isn't an art form?!


Rock 'n Roll has its roots in blues which has its roots in African folk music. So, that's why rock 'n roll isn't strictly considered an American artform.

It's even came out that Jackson Pollock and Markus Rothko were used by the CIA in a cultural war with the Russians, the CIA wanted to use meaningless modern art and then layer some fantasy onto it so that it seemed like their culture was a better culture than the Russians whose artistic titans in all fields were rarely matched by anyone in the U.S.A.

So yes, rock 'n roll is an artform, but it wasn't invented for want of a better word in the U.S.A.

_________________
Solipsism
Solipsism Bandcamp - Full discography can be bought for 50% discount
Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Soundcloud
Solipsism Shitface


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 4461
Location: Vancouver, BC
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I voted this sucks as I can't find any other evidence for the quotes or interview anywhere apart from this thread. Furthermore, you're actually trying to sell two books unrelated to Zappa.

Sounds fishy to me.

Zappa always repeated a lot of stuff in various interviews and Zappa was a small c social conservative, not a fiscal conservative - there's a massive difference.

However, if you can provide further evidence to back this up, I'll gladly change my mind.

It's also well known that the Zappa's vote Democrat, so your point about the libertarians seems at odds with things. I know the political centre has swung wildly to the right, but Zappa would have never supported a system where the richest suckled from the dried up teats of the poorest.


Most of Zappa's beliefs were definitely Libertarian (a platform which you clearly do NOT understand, considering your last sentence, let alone how a free market works) and the interview in question proves that without a doubt. The party even met with him at his home in 1987 to go over the platform (before they chose Ron Paul in 1988). And while FZ didn't agree with all of it, he did agree with most of it. And the only reason why he voted for Dukakis and Clinton in '88 & '92 was by default, because he didn't want Bush Snr. in office...

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
some other glaringly bizarre comments in this interview are that Zappa is quoted as saying socialist countries produce rubbish art and music (I paraphrase), yet his favourite composers were European and all of Europe is largely socialist in nature compared to the USA. We also know that Zappa was not a great afficianado of the visual arts; his cartoonish style, or rather Cal Schenkel's would be laughed off in any first year art degree as raw or lacking talent. While some of the greatest artists in history are from socialist countries.


I think FZ was making a general comment. His point TOTALLY went over your head, unsurprisingly.

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
As Gore Vidal said (and I paraphrase once more) the only artform America invented was advertising and they use it to sell soap powder and presidents to you.


So Rock 'N' Roll isn't an art form?!


Rock 'n Roll has its roots in blues which has its roots in African folk music. So, that's why rock 'n roll isn't strictly considered an American artform.

It's even came out that Jackson Pollock and Markus Rothko were used by the CIA in a cultural war with the Russians, the CIA wanted to use meaningless modern art and then layer some fantasy onto it so that it seemed like their culture was a better culture than the Russians whose artistic titans in all fields were rarely matched by anyone in the U.S.A.

So yes, rock 'n roll is an artform, but it wasn't invented for want of a better word in the U.S.A.


Uh, it doesn't matter where the roots were located, Rock N' Roll was invented in the USA. And how do you know if it was or, "...wasn't invented for want of a better word (don't you mean world?) in the U.S.A."? :roll:

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group