It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dweezil Zappa quotes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:50 am 

Zappa stays true to dad's music
Ed Condran
13 June 2008
The News & Observer

Dweezil Zappa has a pretty cool r"sum", including gigs as an MTV VJ, actor ("The Running Man," "Pretty In Pink") and TV show host (the Food Network's "Dweezil and Lisa").

Yet, all that really matters to Zappa is his guitar.

So it's not surprising that Zappa is obsessed with the music created by his icon father, Frank Zappa. For the last two years, Zappa who calls his late dad Frank has been focusing on his pop's tunes. His aptly named tribute band, Zappa Plays Zappa, will reverently showcase Zappa material tonight at the Lincoln Theatre.

Zappa, 38, called to chat about the impact of his late father, his unusual upbringing and remarks made by Project Object, a Zappa cover band.

Q: What inspired Zappa Plays Zappa?

A: I don't want Frank's music to be forgotten. There are a lot of younger people who were never exposed to his music. And then there are the casual listeners, who just know "Dancin' Fool," "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" and "Valley Girl." Frank was much more than those songs. Those songs don't give you one sixty-fourth of what he was all about. There was no one like Frank, and there is no one remotely like him today. That's why I'm out there playing his music.

Q: How do you even put together a set list? The Zappa canon is so diverse and immense.

A: He composed and recorded so much music that what I pick for shows is endless. I look at that as a good thing. The first thing I did when I started this project was listen to everything Frank did in chronological order. There are so many special details in his music.

Q: Project Object takes exception to your work. This is what PO's Andre Cholmondeley said recently: "Our band is the closest to how Zappa did it. We leave room for experimentation. Zappa Plays Zappa plays it by the book. There's a gross misunderstanding there. Zappa kept it tight, but he kept a window open." Your thoughts?

A: There's no reason I should take anything they say as valid. To try to turn this into a competition is stupid. They're trying to make a living off of material that's not their own and they're doing a poor job.

Q: So you treat your father's music like an orchestra treats Mozart?

A: That makes total sense to me. Do some of these bands think they're going to make my father's music better? That's not going to happen. Do orchestras take Mozart and rip it apart? Of course not! Frank did things a certain way, and that's the way we present the material. This project is so important to me.

Q: You add an extra element that Project Object or any other band tipping the cap to your father can't bring, which is Frank Zappa. He performs posthumously courtesy of audio/video synchronization, which is trippy.

A: Yes. He's on multiple tracks playing and singing, and it really works well. It's something you have to see to believe.

Q: When did you realize that your dad was different from everyone else?

A: I think it was pretty obvious early on. I would go to friends' houses, and they were run rather differently. Most kids wanted to come to our house because it had a very different kind of structure. The kids had freedom. At our house there wasn't a real issue how you expressed yourself. We didn't go out of our way to use profanity. There was an appropriate time and place for that language. It was used to best make a point.

Q: You take the taboo out of it.

A: Exactly. We did that about everything. Look at the way my family grew up as opposed to other Hollywood families. I've never smoked a cigarette, never taken a drug, never been drunk. Compare that to the rest of the Hollywood kids, many of whom have been in jail or rehab. They say, "Life has been so miserable." Give me a break. But people figured that my siblings and I with the screwed-up, crazy names would be the troubled kids. We ended up being smart and creative due to how we were raised. We learned right from wrong. What I left our house with was the belief that no matter what you do, do it the best you can and be of some value to society.

Q: When did you realize that your dad was a music icon?

A: It never was something that I thought about it. I knew that's what he did. It became important for me to realize it. That's been brewing for a long time. I decided to do this tour four years ago. I had to take two years to make a lot of changes in my own guitar playing style.

Q: What was your greatest adjustment?

A: I physically played guitar for over 20 years. I had to adjust how I attacked the strings. It was the equivalent of learning how to walk in a different manner. Frank approached things differently. He wasn't a traditional guitarist. He started as a drummer and then studied to be a composer. He didn't worry about texture or instrumentation. He didn't worry about things that went together. He was about deviating from the norm. That's how he approached everything, and that's why his music is so unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:59 am 

Quote:
A: Exactly. We did that about everything. Look at the way my family grew up as opposed to other Hollywood families. I've never smoked a cigarette, never taken a drug, never been drunk. Compare that to the rest of the Hollywood kids, many of whom have been in jail or rehab. They say, "Life has been so miserable." Give me a break.

This fucked me up big time. It's good for Dweezil he's not depressed, suicidal and had a stable family with stable income. For people who aren't so lucky, life sucks.
I mean, come on! By the time I was 15 I'd seen and had enough misery to fill a bad soap opera, by the time he was 15 he described how bad it is to pick up the phone and discover it's not for you.

Post subject: Re: Dweezil Zappa quotes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:19 am 

richieG wrote:
Q: Project Object takes exception to your work. This is what PO's Andre Cholmondeley said recently: "Our band is the closest to how Zappa did it. We leave room for experimentation. Zappa Plays Zappa plays it by the book. There's a gross misunderstanding there. Zappa kept it tight, but he kept a window open." Your thoughts?

A: There's no reason I should take anything they say as valid. To try to turn this into a competition is stupid. They're trying to make a living off of material that's not their own and they're doing a poor job.

Was it REALLY necessary for Dweezil to phrase it like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:22 am 

BBP wrote:
Quote:
A: Exactly. We did that about everything. Look at the way my family grew up as opposed to other Hollywood families. I've never smoked a cigarette, never taken a drug, never been drunk. Compare that to the rest of the Hollywood kids, many of whom have been in jail or rehab. They say, "Life has been so miserable." Give me a break.

This fucked me up big time. It's good for Dweezil he's not depressed, suicidal and had a stable family with stable income. For people who aren't so lucky, life sucks.
I mean, come on! By the time I was 15 I'd seen and had enough misery to
fill a bad soap opera, by the time he was 15 he described how bad it is to pick up the phone and discover it's not for you.

You sound like a fucking asshole where you totally make up and or assholiate out of context.

Where you state
"by the time he was 15 he described how bad it is to pick up the phone and discover it's not for you"

Literally DZ dealt with picking up the phone by the time he was a toddler like most kids,
but throughout life DZ just dealt with issues where others could not.

Ed Condran
13 June 2008
The News & Observer wrote:

Ed Condran
13 June 2008
The News & Observer

DZ: I think it was pretty obvious early on. I would go to friends' houses, and they were run rather differently. Most kids wanted to come to our house because it had a very different kind of structure. The kids had freedom. At our house there wasn't a real issue how you expressed yourself. We didn't go out of our way to use profanity. There was an appropriate time and place for that language. It was used to best make a point.

DZ: Exactly. We did that about everything. Look at the way my family grew up as opposed to other Hollywood families. I've never smoked a cigarette, never taken a drug, never been drunk. Compare that to the rest of the Hollywood kids, many of whom have been in jail or rehab. They say, "Life has been so miserable." Give me a break. But people figured that my siblings and I with the screwed-up, crazy names would be the troubled kids. We ended up being smart and creative due to how we were raised. We learned right from wrong. What I left our house with was the belief that no matter what you do, do it the best you can and be of some value to society.

The point here is that the Zappa family had an openness
in dealing with issues. That has been documented in
quite a few interviews in the last 30 years. Society may have called
the Zappa family weird in comparison to themselves
but the Zappa family model worked quite well in comparison
to their geographical peers and the American way of life.

Most families be it Middle America
or the typical Beverly Hills hands off parenting these
families have all these social protocol or lack of
being there barriers that inhibit not only education
but common sense reaction to what may come up
in a growing child's life. Even when pareting is there they teach
ignorance.

Metaphorically speaking every day we reach
a fork in the road where wen we pick up the phone
it's not so much who is on the phone
or who the call is for but we really must ask
is the person who is picking up the phone there.

Everybody has problems! It's how an individual deals with
problems and the Zappa's generally are well rehearsed
in not only dealing with problems but have a
strong common sense not to fall into the hole
that many people fall into over and over
and over and over and over and over.

Families and kids that fall into holes such as drugs.
Dope you are what you use.

"Oh, it's one of those Dope Fiend Devices, NO, Take it away"
FZ- Baby Snakes

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
BBP wrote:
Quote:

I mean, come on! By the time I was 15 I'd seen and had enough misery to
fill a bad soap opera, by the time he was 15 he described how bad it is to pick up the phone and discover it's not for you.

You sound like a fucking asshole where you totally make up and or assholiate out of context.

Where you state
"by the time he was 15 he described how bad it is to pick up the phone and discover it's not for you"

Literally DZ dealt with picking up the phone by the time he was a toddler like most kids,

Ed Condran
13 June 2008

Ed Condran
13 June 2008
The News & Observer

DZ: I think it was pretty obvious early on. I would go to friends' houses, and they were run rather differently. Most kids wanted to come to our house because it had a very different kind of structure. The kids had freedom. At our house there wasn't a real issue how you expressed yourself. We didn't go out of our way to use profanity. There was an appropriate time and place for that language. It was used to best make a point.

DZ: Exactly. We did that about everything. Look at the way my family grew up as opposed to other Hollywood families. I've never smoked a cigarette, never taken a drug, never been drunk. Compare that to the rest of the Hollywood kids, many of whom have been in jail or rehab. They say, "Life has been so miserable." Give me a break. But people figured that my siblings and I with the screwed-up, crazy names would be the troubled kids. We ended up being smart and creative due to how we were raised. We learned right from wrong. What I left our house with was the belief that no matter what you do, do it the best you can and be of some value to society.

ignorance.

FZ- Baby Snakes

THAT'S NOT THE FUCKING ISSUE. It was about time you learnt to read.

It's about how not-understanding he is towards people who have severe personal difficulties. Life's a bitch to a lot of people. But not to Dweezil apparently. That's OK, but why does he have to be so rude about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:09 am 

BBP wrote:
THAT'S NOT THE FUCKING ISSUE. It was about time you learnt to read.

It's about how not-understanding he is towards people who have severe personal difficulties. Life's a bitch to a lot of people. But not to Dweezil apparently. That's OK, but why does he have to be so rude about it?

It is you who thinks in your mind that DZ is being rude.
From my perspective you are way off base, WRONG.

Whatever it was in your life, sincerely I am sorry about your so called "soap opera youth" but DZ is just showing what it was for him. I don't think you have a clue as to what it may have been like growing up with the last name Zappa. Remember society, including his local environment looked at his family as the so called "weird ones" and his Beverly Hills society is in rehab and his family as he explains are doing fine.

In the history of Hollywood I am sure the name Zappa is a blacklisted as just about any. The name Zappa has not been treated all that well and I am putting that mildly. The Zappa's have a very strong will. When I look at that Zappa Imperial I see dedication. The ZFT are steadfast of FZs model and the back bone of that far too frequently is something some fans just do not respect.

I am sure if DZ wanted to he could tell of soap opera stories of how he and his family were not treated all that well by the so called "normal society people" and I am going to say it again the so called "normal society people" are the ones in rehab and the Zappa family has their head together more than the majority of families I have ever known.

It is you who has misperceived and your spin doctoring of how DZ talked of his upbringing. I not only know how to read but I have been around far too long to know the difference between fans that not only don't know shit about an issue but spin it out of focus in the most assholian of ways.

Once again sorry about your very own personal soap opera.
I hope you are doing better now.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:34 am 

Dweezil is his mother's son, that's for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:01 am 

(BBP Idiotic Forum Conspiracy Theory #12)
Perhaps Tritone is the evil twin brother of Dweezil. They were separated at birth and T was put in the freezer for a few weeks, and transported to a different part of the country and used for nasty chemical experiments, forever damaging his noggin.

---

Or maybe I should say what I wrote between the lines, so that Trendsleeper can understand it as well. He's perfectly brainless. I give up. No use being nice, or trying to explain. Arguments, reason or even reality don't count, as long as his opinion is counted, validated and used. Hell, he might be a politician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 am 
Banned

"Tell Titone that I'm not here." - Dweezil Zappa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 am 

BBP wrote:
(BBP Idiotic Forum Conspiracy Theory #12)
Perhaps Tritone is the evil twin brother of Dweezil. They were separated at birth and T was put in the freezer for a few weeks, and transported to a different part of the country and used for nasty chemical experiments, forever damaging his noggin.

---

Or maybe I should say what I wrote between the lines, so that Trendsleeper can understand it as well. He's perfectly brainless. I give up. No use being nice, or trying to explain. Arguments, reason or even reality don't count, as long as his opinion is counted, validated and used. Hell, he might be a politician.

Perhaps you can't pay respect to what DZ says and does.
Don't act like a pus wound.
DZ is dedicated to a level of love, respect and
artistic integrity that only he can achieve.
For any fan to shed a single ounce of negativity on
DZs actions is total fucking bull shit.

We are all just fans
Nothing more, nothing less.

I support the ZFT 100%.
I have supported each and every Official Zappa project since 1967 100%
The negative ones in regards to Official ZFT agendas can go fuck themselves but still I am only a fan.
I am not an official voice but only a fan who believes the artist decides if , when , why and where to represent his/her art..

When the negativity comes along here or on any website all I can think about is pus wounds.
Some of these negative fan complaints are
worse than that paraplegic mob boss "The Man with the Plan" pus wounds.

Virus Breeders that's what they are biting the fanaskeptasaureous pillow chugging cock.
Ill conceived mis perceptions of The Project/Object that carry a Spice Girl ideology.

The Zappa's have always rode the bus their way. Take a ride on the Bus or just shut the fuck up. None of this
I'll tell ya what I want what I really really want fanaskeatasuareos crap over and over like a teenage gal on her period.
I want more cell phone minutes or I'm running away. Bunch of fucking cry babies.
Petitions O' Pus Wounds and none have the balls to come here and wave that flag.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:41 am 

Jeezies. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
I'll tell ya what I want what I really really want fanaskeatasuareos crap over and over like a teenage gal on her period.

What a wonderfully tolerant person you are, Trnedmnoger. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:52 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
You sound like a fucking asshole

Yes, DZ does sound like a fucking asshole in that interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 am 

Here's a question: Should I (you) feel guilty for contributing, allbeit in a small way, to a mans nervous breakdown? (The internet is indeed a strange place.......) oh, and by the way Trendy, I signed the Petition, just couldn't be arsed to tell you in your pus-wounds poll, but please do fill it in on my behalf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 pm 

jamesE wrote:
Here's a question: Should I (you) feel guilty for contributing, allbeit in a small way, to a mans nervous breakdown? (The internet is indeed a strange place.......) oh, and by the way Trendy, I signed the Petition, just couldn't be arsed to tell you in your pus-wounds poll, but please do fill it in on my behalf.

Trust me I am far from having a nervous breakdown.
I have so much to be extremely happy for in my life.

The negative ones are the ones you should be concerned about.
If some of those folks don't get there Zappa the way they want it they might jump off of a bridge.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:36 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
jamesE wrote:

If some of those folks don't get there Zappa the way they want it they might jump off of a bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:20 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:

Where you state

Ed Condran
13 June 2008

Ed Condran
13 June 2008
The News & Observer

ignorance.

FZ- Baby Snakes

Trendmonger wrote:
It is you who thinks in your mind that DZ is being rude.
From my perspective you are way off base, WRONG.

Whatever it was in your life, sincerely I am sorry about your so called "soap opera youth" but DZ is just showing what it was for him. I don't think you have a clue as to what it may have been like growing up with the last name Zappa. Remember society, including his local environment looked at his family as the so called "weird ones" and his Beverly Hills society is in rehab and his family as he explains are doing fine.

In the history of Hollywood I am sure the name Zappa is a blacklisted as just about any. The name Zappa has not been treated all that well and I am putting that mildly. The Zappa's have a very strong will. When I look at that Zappa Imperial I see dedication. The ZFT are steadfast of FZs model and the back bone of that far too frequently is something some fans just do not respect.

I am sure if DZ wanted to he could tell of soap opera stories of how he and his family were not treated all that well by the so called "normal society people" and I am going to say it again the so called "normal society people" are the ones in rehab and the Zappa family has their head together more than the majority of families I have ever known.

It is you who has misperceived and your spin doctoring of how DZ talked of his upbringing. I not only know how to read but I have been around far too long to know the difference between fans that not only don't know shit about an issue but spin it out of focus in the most assholian of ways.

Once again sorry about your very own personal soap opera.
I hope you are doing better now.

Trendmonger wrote:
Perhaps you can't pay respect to what DZ says and does.
Don't act like a pus wound.
DZ is dedicated to a level of love, respect and
artistic integrity that only he can achieve.
For any fan to shed a single ounce of negativity on
DZs actions is total fucking bull shit.

We are all just fans
Nothing more, nothing less.

I support the ZFT 100%.
I have supported each and every Official Zappa project since 1967 100%
The negative ones in regards to Official ZFT agendas can go fuck themselves but still I am only a fan.
I am not an official voice but only a fan who believes the artist decides if , when , why and where to represent his/her art..

When the negativity comes along here or on any website all I can think about is pus wounds.
Some of these negative fan complaints are
worse than that paraplegic mob boss "The Man with the Plan" pus wounds.

Virus Breeders that's what they are biting the fanaskeptasaureous pillow chugging cock.
Ill conceived mis perceptions of The Project/Object that carry a Spice Girl ideology.

The Zappa's have always rode the bus their way. Take a ride on the Bus or just shut the fuck up. None of this
I want more cell phone minutes or I'm running away. Bunch of fucking cry babies.
Petitions O' Pus Wounds and none have the balls to come here and wave that flag.

Trendmonger wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:17 pm 

jamesE wrote:

He's giving ME a nervous breakdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:18 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
jamesE wrote:

The guy on the 2nd picture is that asshole who thinks he's god ! (somewhere in France)

f**kin' freaks

Post subject: apr-90
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:09 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:50 am 

la_biesta wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
jamesE wrote:

The guy on the 2nd picture is that asshole who thinks he's god ! (somewhere in France)

f**kin' freaks

Yea the freak in picture one is somewhere flying on a comet, and that second guy dunno, but look at that fat pig he's sticking it to YIKES!.. and the bubbles LMFAO at the bubbles!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:18 am 

Quote:

Warmonger says what??? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:27 pm 

threap chills wrote:
Quote:

Warmonger says what??? :?

Don't try to understand. It'll only hurt your noggin.
(he was referring to my detest of DZ's lyrics, which I summarize using one of his lined from "Having A Bad Day": "Telephone rang so I picked it up / But it wasn't for me.")

Post subject: Dweezil Zappa Quotes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:48 am 
Banned

"Everybody else goes out and plays a show as if it's their album, which is boring. I'd rather sit at home and listen to the album, because I hate to be in a smoke-filled, loud room - that's not enjoyable for me at all...I always look up to guys who can sit and do dinner music...they're singing in tune and playing somebody else's music, and I don't think I could do that...it's the shittiest job in the world." - DWEEZIL ZAPPA, GUITARIST, NOVEMBER 1991

Post subject: Re: Dweezil Zappa Quotes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:43 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
"Everybody else goes out and plays a show as if it's their album, which is boring. I'd rather sit at home and listen to the album, because I hate to be in a smoke-filled, loud room - that's not enjoyable for me at all...I always look up to guys who can sit and do dinner music...they're singing in tune and playing somebody else's music, and I don't think I could do that...it's the shittiest job in the world." - DWEEZIL ZAPPA, GUITARIST, NOVEMBER 1991

Funny, but then, competently bringing his dad's music to the public was surely very far from his Van Halen brain. Also, smoking has pretty much been eradicated in public places, so it is time to cut the Dweez' some slack.