The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: grande mothers quotes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:47 am 

June 27, 2008
24 seconds with The Grande Mothers
By SARAH ROWLAND, 24 HOURS

The Grande Mothers plan to "Freak Out" at the TD Canada Trust Vancouver International Jazz Festival

The Mothers. The Mothers of Invention. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention .... There were many variations of Frank Zappa band titles and lineups. Even after his death in '93, his former bandmates kept on rocking with posthumous spin-off alumni acts including The Grande Mothers. 24 hours recently caught up with three key members of this latest combo to talk about what it was like making music with the king of avant-garde rock. Meet singer/flautist/saxophonist Napoleon Murphy Brock, keyboardist Don Preston and bassist Roy Estrada. While all three have played with Zappa at some point, this is the first time all three have played Zappa tunes together.

24: What makes this particular lineup so special?

DP: "There have been many incarnations, but this is the last incarnation - also the best."

24: The term "legend" always seems to get bandied about when people talk about Zappa - do you consider yourselves legends as well?

NMB: "Absolutely. We're living and what we're doing is legendary."

DP: "I think if you're still playing after you're 70, you automatically become a legend."

24: Favourite Zappa memory?

NMB: "That's hard. There's so many and some of them are triple X-rated ... no, I'm only serious."

RE: "Just making him laugh was great because he would go into another realm. Then he'd get a glaze in his eyes and he would start a riff. And then we would all come in and start playing that riff, and that would make another song - that's how he created his music."

24: Are you guys still as theatrical and spontaneous as you were back in the day?

NMB: "[Yes], spontaneity is part of our character and so this is why we fit in his bands so well: We were able to create things right on the spot - without any hesitation or without any limitations."

24: Parting words for 24 hours readers?

NMB: "Come to the show and have a life experience for yourself."

The Grande Mothers play tonight at the Commodore (868 Granville St.). Tix are $35 ($2 off for students, seniors and Jazz Friends). For more info on other Jazz Fest shows, visit coastaljazz.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:32 pm 

I'm goin'! This is going to fucking rule! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:27 am 

I'll write a review in a day or two...but for now, here's the setlist from last night's better than expected and AMAZING show (not necessarily in exact order):

A Pound For A Brown
Call Any Vegetable
Let’s Move To Cleveland
Let’s Make The Water Turn Black
Harry, You’re A Beast
Oh No
Son Of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Echidna’s Arf (Of You)

Holiday Medley:

Overture to Holiday In Berlin
Holiday In Berlin, Full-Blown
Aybe Sea
Little House I Used To Live In

Big Swifty
The Idiot Bastard Son
The Air
Peaches En Regalia
Evelyn, A Modified Dog
Debra Kadabra
Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
Village Of The Sun
Pygmy Twylyte

Dummy Up (including Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five’s The Message!!!)

I’m The Slime
Florentine Pogen
Sofa No. 1

Montana

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:00 pm 

I crawled out of the mountains to see this show after I heard Roy was going to be there (one of my all time fave bassists) - I didn't know Don Preston was gonna be there also - it made my heart pump when I saw him walk on stage, I felt like a teenager again - his story about Frank's friends and dinner consisting of steak and ice-cream, with steak again for desert, was great ... this was a real show for me, one of the top ten in my miserable life - they played for a good three hours, superMEN all the lot of them ... Napolean's energy - wow - jumping like a crab at the end, I can't even do that and I'm 15 years younger at least (^%#$!!)... the playing was flawless, amazing guitar by Miroslav Tadic (really amazing) and Chris Garcia ... geez I wish I could see them again ... UN-fkn-BELIEVABLE, they played Frank's music right // the Vancouver crowd was great too ... god bless ROY !! I felt like crying the whole time ...

amen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm 

I think Roy's bass playing is extra-ordinary, I've been listening to the Mothers honking away on 'Sounds Like this'{ I have a red set of Drums...and when the whole band gets together..it sounds like this-} which comes after the Shop Talk that appeared years later on Lost Episodes. I believe FZ stitched that amazing guitar solo for the 10 LP set he planned in 1970. Roys bass throughout and the way he brings the piece to an end is sublime. I wonder why this has never been officially released?

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!