The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:31 am 

good article about vdgg. ... -1.1103279

I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:29 pm 

Super nice article that really brings home the bacon and is capable of showing how some other folks are willing and able to do work ... that otherwise would not be heard.

Peter is well versed in music, and he is a good listener, and I would not be surprised if he had 5 to 10 albums by FZ in his home. Not that he would need it. I think that his music is highly individualized, and personal, and not designed from the "riff", or "concept" that most "songs" are defined in music, and thus, his continual flow, specially in his middle period is fantastic and well defined, but not as a "rock song" or a "ballad" or anything else ... you wonder what some of the stuff is about, and the lyrics tell you, but you still can not "place" that music definition anywhere.

I highly recommend things like "Silent Corner, Empty Stage", "Still Life" "Godbluff", "Skin" ... so one can see the incredible definition and development of his intuition ... into a musical form ... that will not be defined for a long time ... calling it progressive is a joke, since the definitions of the mode, out on the net, are about a "song" and a juke box format, and that is not something that Peter Hammill, and Van der Graaf Generator, are about at all.

I almost think that there is a lot of inner freedom in Peter's work, that Frank Zappa, specially, would appreciate and love to work on, and some of that work is in the vaults ... but I doubt that many folks can understand it, appreciate it, and even consider letting it out, which is the reason why I think these things should be just labeled with a number and let go for you and I to make the call, instead of the trust wasting its time putting out one cd per quarter, and it is the same thing as before.

But that's my preference and idea, though!

The only art there is, resides within your heart. Have you listened to it lately to ensure that the top ten is better than you are?