Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa on heavy metal?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:29 pm 

Hi all,

I talked Zappa with some people a while back and they mentioned something about Zappa saying heavy metal had potential but ended up going in the wrong direction or something to that effect. Does anyone know of an interview/video clip/quote/etc of Zappa mentioning anything like this? Since Zappa lived through metal's (arguably) prime in the 80s and early 90s I'm curious if had any interesting opinions on this. Anything on the 70s-80s punk scene would be welcome too!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 pm 

I remember him talking about how the '80's metal guitarists had created a new vocabulary with all the squealing guitars and whatnot. I think he sampled some of Dweezil's guitar for use on some of his synclavier compositions. I remember him being complimentary about Warren DiMartini (Dweezil's favorite player back in those days), Jake E. Lee, and Yngwie Malmsteen in different interviews and, of course he discovered Steve Vai, so you gotta think he liked '80's metal on some level. As far as 70's-80's punk I don't really recall him saying much but he did compliment new wave stuff like Blondie and the Stranglers if that counts. I think Frank had his ear open to everything though he claimed later in his career that he didn't listen to rock music anymore. He also said he had never heard Stairway to Heaven before his '88 band learned it. Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:53 am 

I saw a thing on VH1 years ago called something like the top 100 guitar players and I believe FZ made #60 (what a joke) and they interviewed some heavy metal players who said his work was a huge influence on their playing.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 am 

Plook wrote:
I believe FZ made #60

I don't believe :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 am 

nostalegic wrote:
Hi all,

I talked Zappa with some people a while back and they mentioned something about Zappa saying heavy metal had potential but ended up going in the wrong direction or something to that effect. Does anyone know of an interview/video clip/quote/etc of Zappa mentioning anything like this? Since Zappa lived through metal's (arguably) prime in the 80s and early 90s I'm curious if had any interesting opinions on this. Anything on the 70s-80s punk scene would be welcome too!

He said that about Hendrix's.not sure about Heavy Metal,He did have Ozzy as a friend early 70s.i think Aynsley Dunbar must of come under Heavy.especially with Black Sabbath covering one of his songs on there first LP.
He said The Stranglers was his favorite Punk on too occasions.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 am 

I remember(doot doot) seeing an interview I think it was in the early 80's and they asked Frank what he liked of the then new music. He mentioned Lene Lovich and The Slits.

He was quoted as saying he thought Black Sabbath's Supernaut was a great heavy song. He then decided Iron Man was better.