Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ Alumni quotes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm 

Show me a scientist who can prove that time exists. You can't. It's just a perception. -Terry Bozzio

Post subject: Re: FZ Alumni quotes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:25 pm 

coevad wrote:
Show me a scientist who can prove that time exists. You can't. It's just a perception. -Terry Bozzio

So he's going into non-rhythmic drum playing now?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 pm 

To play Zappa's music is like learning an exotic language. - Napoleon Murphy Brock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:55 am 

Chad Wackerman: "Have you guys learned any drumistic things from playing with Frank?"

Chester Thompson: " (long pause) No."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 pm 

Frank was brilliant and would say the perfect thing at the perfect time. One time I told him I wanted to be just like him and he said I was too young to start going bald. - Steve Vai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 am 

I love this quote by Steve Vai about Vinnie:

He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there. Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing. Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar. It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 am 

I love that story. I thought it was donuts, but sushi is even better!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...