Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is that a real poncho?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:50 am 

What is a Sears poncho, I should know but it's probably something American and I'm English.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:47 pm 

I think it had a lot to do with the rise in popularity of name brands at the time....<br><br>When I was a kid in Los Angeles in the 70's and 80's, Sears and KMart were regarded as "The cheapie" stores and kids were put down for having clothes from those places. They were not wearing "real Jordache jeans" they were wearing some fake copied Sears jeans. Something Sears was known for at that time; clothes that were not the brands but looked like them.<br><br>That's how I have always thought of it anyway, and it gives me a chuckle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:10 pm 

Big department store crap - like buying all yer clothes from Asda / Tesco's etc......   ;D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:46 am 

he was just busting on cheesy hippies..all clothes or form but no substance kind dof thing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:21 pm 

[quote author=Yashar37 link=board=quotes;num=1040327459;start=0#1 date=12/19/02 at 16:47:15]....That's how I have always thought of it anyway....[/quote]<br><br><br>i always think cheapo/low end when i hear the word Sears

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:47 am 

Whatever happened to Roebuck?<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:37 am 

<br> mines a mexican poncho.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:25 pm 

When I was growing up, what was even lower end than Sears was....K-Mart!!! Woe to you if you were caught in there by someone you went to school with, it would be spread all over how cheap you were! Of course, that could backfire--I saw a schoolmate and reminded her she was at K-Mart, too. So it never got around :) The thing is, I'm sure there were many more kids who were dragged there by their folks--they just never talked about it. And they most likely were the ones who would say, "A friend of mine (yeah, right ::)) saw so-and-so at K-Mart!" Silly stuff we did as kids.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:11 am 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=quotes;num=1040327459;start=0#7 date=07/04/03 at 23:25:21]When I was growing up, what was even lower end than Sears was....K-Mart!!! Woe to you if you were caught in there by someone you went to school with, it would be spread all over how cheap you were![/quote]<br><br>Indeed, and that's exactly what Frank was pointing to, IMHO. It's odd to me that people don't get a lot of these jokes in Zappa's music. We are a funny country and FZ was compelled to point that out. "Status" is such a big issue in this country, especially when you're a teen, it's a sub-culture, so it seems natural to me to make fun of it. <br><br>I don't think it's much of an issue elsewhere, but I am surprised that a lot of Euros don't "get the joke" sometimes. I meet a lot of people who don't even realise Zappa lyrics are so tongue-in-cheek, they act like it's all "serious" music, and it's not. But the funny thing about that is, it's never an American, we are just that fucked up I guess, heh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:15 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=quotes;num=1040327459;start=0#8 date=07/05/03 at 00:08:30]<br>, she came at school and everybody was shoutin', you have real Dr Martins!!! We never heard of this Dr., but apparently that was a hit mark [/quote]<br><br>When I was a kid (many MANY moons ago) in ceertain circles, "Doc Martens" were the coolest boots and shoes you could go for, thus the high prices they ask for today. A good pair of Dr Marten's was like status, they were 'cool', they were 'punk rock'. If you were wearing them, you were accepted.<br><br>Name brands were everything, and if you had 'fakes' you were not part of the group. It was a game, the game little rich kids played. If you couldn't afford those brand names, you were obviously not rich/cool enough to be part of their crowd.<br><br>...yay capitalism.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 pm 

<br> doc martens are excellent boots. they will last for years,    but when they became the stylish ,trendy, and "cool" thing to wear all of a sudden,   it didnt seem right to support or advertise for them anymore.  imo<br><br> i traded my docs for a few pink t shirts<br><br> (and a pink sear's poncho...)<br><br>  <br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:04 am 

[quote author=Confinement_Loaf link=board=quotes;num=1040327459;start=0#11 date=07/16/03 at 02:57:51]<br> doc martens are excellent boots. they will last for years,    but when they became the stylish ,trendy, and "cool" thing to wear all of a sudden,   it didnt seem right to support or advertise for them anymore.  imo<br><br> i traded my docs for a few pink t shirts<br><br> (and a pink sear's poncho...)<br><br>  <br> [/quote]<br><br>I feel the same way about clothes with advertising or cute little cartoon characters on them.  Long ago it was a cool thing to do, but after awhile I realized that I was shilling for some large corporate structure.  And I was having to pay for the priviledge!   I finally got it.  You would think it would be obvious by now.  And yet, it still goes on!<br><br>Sabrina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:25 am 

[quote author=sabrina2 link=board=quotes;num=1040327459;start=0#12 date=07/20/03 at 07:04:42]<br><br>I feel the same way about clothes with advertising or cute little cartoon characters on them.  Long ago it was a cool thing to do, but after awhile I realized that I was shilling for some large corporate structure.  And I was having to pay for the priviledge!   I finally got it.  You would think it would be obvious by now.  And yet, it still goes on!<br><br>Sabrina[/quote]<br>That's one of my pet hates too - paying for a clothes item to give free advertising to a company (so I don't), it's so clever and devious of them, isn't it. Cute little Mickey Mouse t-shirts or cool Camel ones. Bah! Humbug!<br><br>In the early 70's I found a t-shirt that looked like it had a "Ford" logo prominent at the front. But when you looked closely, the word actually spelt out Fuck, but with the oval Ford logo shape around it. I loved that t-shirt, it seemed so radical at the time. Unfortunately the shop only had one, and it was one size too small but I got it anyway. After a while it became about 6 sizes too small. Must have shrunk, eh?<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:55 am 

Boy, I wish I could read French! Should've taken more French classes. Great artwork! Always did trhink FZ looked a little like Cap'n Hook---or is that Captain Morgan that he more closely resembles?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:53 am 

[quote author=Uncle Bernie link=board=quotes;num=1040327459;start=0#13 date=07/20/03 at 07:25:50]<br>That's one of my pet hates too - paying for a clothes item to give free advertising to a company (so I don't), it's so clever and devious of them, isn't it. Cute little Mickey Mouse t-shirts or cool Camel ones. Bah! Humbug!<br><br>In the early 70's I found a t-shirt that looked like it had a "Ford" logo prominent at the front. But when you looked closely, the word actually spelt out Fuck, but with the oval Ford logo shape around it. I loved that t-shirt, it seemed so radical at the time. Unfortunately the shop only had one, and it was one size too small but I got it anyway. After a while it became about 6 sizes too small. Must have shrunk, eh?<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>LOL ;D  I remember those t-shirts!  Yeah, they never had real sizes.  And if you are a woman, esp with somewhat of a balcony and not teeny tiny men's shirts never fit!  There was also a shirt that said "Enjoy Cocaine"with a Coca Cola logo.  Also "Fly United".  Those were the days......<br><br>I'd kill for a Bear Whiz Beer T shirt! 8)<br><br>Sabrina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:57 am 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=quotes;num=1040327459;start=15#15 date=07/26/03 at 03:55:42]Boy, I wish I could read French! Should've taken more French classes. Great artwork! Always did trhink FZ looked a little like Cap'n Hook---or is that Captain Morgan that he more closely resembles?[/quote]<br><br>I agree with you Dove!  I wish I could read French.  Slime,  great cartoon.  The style looks very familiar.  Maybe from Heavy Metal?  I think I'll try to run it through the universal translator.  That should be good for a laugh!<br><br>Sabrina