The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re:  Rock Journalism
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:55 pm 

Yeah,but somebody's got do it.  ;) :-*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:18 am 

maybe i'll write a song about this,someday..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:50 am 

[quote author=josh link=board=quotes&num=1030577638&start=0#0 date=08/28/02 at 15:33:58]<br> "Rock journalism is people who can't write, preparing stories based on interviews with people who can't talk, in order to amuse people who can't read." Right on Frank!!!!! ;D<br>[/quote]Fuck the musical critics. How somebody`s write about music if not a  musician? viva zappa!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:08 am 

Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:48 am 

I've always sensed that most rock-writers don't appreciate FZ because of his post-60's lyrics; I believe they have no patience for the project/object in a 'rock' context - gimme three chords and a dysfunctional punk for realism dammit!<br>Of course, I feel a lot of these writers are indeed also frustrated somehow by the critic's role, and their brains slowly become hardened material much like a rubber tyre.<br>One could look beyond FZ's smuttier stuff (if it's simply too much for the shy types) and still find a lifetime's wealth of material to enjoy and appreciate in all its wonderful layers.  No matter:  Someday Frank will be bigger than Jesus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:04 pm 

[quote author=Brainfang link=board=quotes&num=1030577638&start=0#6 date=10/14/02 at 14:48:30]<br> I believe they have no patience for the project/object in a 'rock' context - gimme three chords and a dysfunctional punk for realism dammit! [/quote]<br><br>Yeah, the "Lester Bangs school of rock journalism" (although to be honest, Bangs wrote a positive review of 'Hot Rats'). A lot of rock writers seem to be stuck in 1977, when punk was the big new thing and it was cool to make fun of any musician that could really play. I don't read many American music magazines but English and Dutchs mags are still full of this crap: "oh, they have a song that lasts for more than three minutes, they must be pretentious wankers".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:05 am 

Some days ago I met a man who said to me: "Zappa?! I hate him, his music is whorst thing I ever heared!" Yesterday I met him again, I didn't want to belive what he said to me: " I must have a copy of Hot Rats, a magazine says that it's ONLY good album by Zappa". This kind of people make possible bad rock journalism. PLEASE, SOMEONE SAVE US!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:37 am 

if you criticize critics, dont you make the same mistake?<br><br>or is this just about rock-journalism?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:32 am 

<br>[quote author=gumbo_fever link=board=quotes&num=1030577638&start=0#9 date=10/15/02 at 06:05:42]<br>Some days ago I met a man who said to me: "Zappa?! I hate him, his music is whorst thing I ever heared!" Yesterday I met him again, I didn't want to belive what he said to me: " I must have a copy of Hot Rats, a magazine says that it's ONLY good album by Zappa". This kind of people make possible bad rock journalism. PLEASE, SOMEONE SAVE US!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>don`t look Ob`Dewlla, it`s too horrible! <br>I have met such jerks too. it´s not that they MUST like FZ, but you need more skill than reading a critic to make a descision!<br>Let those narrow-minded folks dwell on Bon Jovi and Bryan (or Ryan) Adams and let thm think of them as a revelation! Jesus, Harry! What the fuck is going on here?!<br>The worst thing about critics is, even if you try hard, they make an influence on you. If you`re a real fan, they don´t get you. But if you are not sure about some artist, they can disturb everything! >:( With Zappa they really made it.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:42 am 

I think he directed Packard Goose mostly to the guy who  was the editor to Creems Magazine, who is mentioned in the Almost Famous movie...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:53 am 

Could be....Creem was a good rag for building artists up and then trashing them later on....and that's pretty much how they treated Frank too. A real "Rolling Stone" wannabe type magazine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:53 am 

The problem is this notion of "musical cool" that rock mags want to project. Of course they couldn't give a good review to a band like, say, Yes or ELP, its just not "cool". Thats the main problem I think.<br><br>Having said that therevery little that can be "wrong" when it comes to critique...You just have to find a critic you tend to agree with and follow him/her as a guide (not an absolute authority) to finding the kind of music you like.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:21 am 

[quote author=josh link=board=quotes;num=1030577638;start=0#0 date=08/28/02 at 15:33:58] "Rock journalism is people who can't write, preparing stories based on interviews with people who can't talk, in order to amuse people who can't read." Right on Frank!!!!! ;D[/quote]<br><br><br>That sums up a Silverchair interview I witnessed on MuchMusic a few years back perfectly. <br><br>Mr. Show fans--remember Smoosh?<br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:23 am 

[quote author=Brainfang link=board=quotes;num=1030577638;start=0#6 date=10/14/02 at 14:48:30] Someday Frank will be bigger than Jesus.[/quote]<br><br><br>LISTEN, JOHN LENNON... >:(<br><br> ;D ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:30 am 

One more comment...<br><br>   One day at my buddy Glenn's comic shop, when discussing music at one point (something I don't like doing down there because everyone's taste is just blaahhhhh and I'm too weird.) I mention Frank Zappa to one of the inner circle of guys that are regulars and he shoots back "non-talent".  ::) ::) ::) ::)<br><br>   Somebody who's never heard Zappa before, chants Who let the dogs out who who who! and he cuts down Zappa like he's all knowing and is a worldly music fan? ??? ::) ::) ::)