Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:10 am 

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but cut a newbie some slack, why dontcha!<br><br>Frank gave us some great new words that have oozed right into my everyday language. Words like, "pluking".... LOL who ever thought one would need such a word on a regular basis....but you'd be surprised! <br><br>Also "poot" ...ok I know Frank didn't invent this word, but it's such a descriptive word that I find myself using quite often...sometimes even in conjunction with "pluking". It's also just fun to say....poot......poot...try it... poot. see?<br><br>"Yowza" is also a good one. It's great for those times that you'd like to yell "holy sloppy pig fuckin shit!" but you're around children, so you just yell "Yowza".... good stuff.<br><br>Anyone else using any Zappanese in their everyday lives?<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:40 pm 

i often say plook (which Zappa didn't make up), and yowza' (which i don't think Zappa made up (it's a disco thing)).

"a student is not a tangerine"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:00 pm 

"Plook" was coined/invented/whatever by Ike Willis. Frank credits him on the cover of "Joe's Garage". I think "yowza" has been around for at least 150 years, if not longer. It could've just been that Frank was one of the first people to try and spell it. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:16 pm 

[quote author=Billy link=board=quotes;num=1072811426;start=0#2 date=12/30/03 at 20:00:25]"Plook" was coined/invented/whatever by Ike Willis. Frank credits him on the cover of "Joe's Garage". I think "yowza" has been around for at least 150 years, if not longer. It could've just been that Frank was one of the first people to try and spell it. ;D[/quote]<br><br><br>Great stuff to know! I'm relatively new to Frank's music and you never realize how little you know about something until you join a message board dedicated to it.  <br><br>I did know that Frank didn't make up "yowza", but who else uses it?...besides Fozzy Bear.<br><br>Lovin the info! Thanks   ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:58 am 

sorry to disillusion you all but plook has been a word in circulation for over 100 years at least....it is a scottish word defining a teenage spot or zit  :o

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:30 am 

Great goolgie mooglie!  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:20 am 

thought it was spelled YAAAOOOZAAAA!!! :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:17 am 

[quote author=Cucachunga link=board=quotes;num=1072811426;start=0#7 date=04/13/04 at 14:07:41]<br><br>Yea, i'm actually curious to know if he coined this phrase. Cuz if he did... that'd be interesting. But i have no idea. Linguists, start your engines.[/quote]<br><br><br>Check this out:<br><br>http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Stranded_In_The_Jungle.html<br><br>especially this quote:<br><br>
Quote:
What would prove to be Prentice Moreland's only Cadets/Jacks recording session provided the group with a catch phrase of their own; he delivered the line "Great googly-moogly, let me outta here", on "Stranded in the Jungle"; it was a line he had picked up from a Cincinnati DJ.