Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:56 am 

years ago, when let's get small first came out, i was in my room when i heard my brother and his friends laughing in the living room. they were listening to a record, and i thought,"is that a new frank zappa album?" as soon as i walked out, i knew it wasn't frank, and found out they were, in fact, listening to steve martin and let's get small. i just finished steve's memoir born standing up(great!) and the only way you could link frank and steve together was after he got some money from writing for the smothers brothers show, he got a place in laurel canyon. he mentions some of the people living there, including frank zappa. he says, in part,"i never met any of them", and also never says anything else about frank. so, if he was going to point to fz as an influence, then would have been a good time. the end. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:43 pm 

One similar thing I noticed that both Steve did as part of his act and Frank did at the end of Baby Snakes is how they would thank each member of the audience individually (well that was the gag anyway). You know "I want to thank you all for being here...I want to thank you and you and you and you and you, etc. (while pointing at individual members of the audience)".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:21 pm 

Consider the possible connection between Steve Martin's "Cruel Shoes" and FZ's "Sinister Footwear": this to me is a typical example of FZ appropriating some iconic soundbite from contemporary pop culture and tweaking the wording in order to make the reference more oblique.