Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:26 am 

I love that one......and it's true, although in my case it's not guitarplaying i don't forget, but it's playing the drums and various percussion instruments that seems like second nature to me.... I guess that makes me smart then, does'nt it ???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:16 am 

;)Fucking. Yeah, man, I agree.<br>But there is a subdivision here:<br>the maid: fender strato (always haves the first time)<br>the girlfriend: gibson les paul <br>the bitch: gibson black widow (Experience)<br>the affair: (sometimes, only to sex): The Martin Acoustic Guitar. :D :D :D<br>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:11 pm 

I've got this simple three finger excersize i do with my thumb, index and middle fingers on the guitar, and one day my parterner says to me " You play with that fucking guitar more than you do with me" and i says "Oh yeah, well bend over and spread em baby here comes my fingers" and i proseed to do this excersize on her clit, vagina, and butthole respectively and let me tell ya folks now its " keep on practicing honey"<br>        <br>        YOWZA ;D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:43 pm 

Playing guitar is like talking...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:51 pm 

playing the guitar for me is like a feckin' dream, as i can't play the thing...i've always wanted to but never got round to it. If any of you guys could tel me what you think is the best way to go about it i'd appreciate it. Oh and i don't know if it makes it any different but i'm left handed. I knowthat sounds stupid but i mean is it more difficult for left handers?

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:54 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=0#5 date=10/06/03 at 01:51:27]Oh and i don't know if it makes it any different but i'm left handed. I knowthat sounds stupid but i mean is it more difficult for left handers?[/quote]<br><br>I've got left handed students who play guitar like right handed...and some of them plays guitar without turn it on the other side...I think is a question of beginning...If I (...right handed) had started to play with a left-handed guitar I would be the same now...it's a question of habit.<br><br>ciao.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:08 am 

when  i was about 17 i went to a guy for guitar lessons and he tried to do the same (teach me right handed) it just didn't feel right though.  I think if i'm going to go ahead with it i'll just need to try left handed, i read somewhere bob geldof achieved this by practising looking in a mirror

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:12 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=0#7 date=10/06/03 at 05:08:53]when  i was about 17 i went to a guy for guitar lessons and he tried to do the same (teach me right handed) it just didn't feel right though.  I think if i'm going to go ahead with it i'll just need to try left handed, i read somewhere bob geldof achieved this by practising looking in a mirror[/quote]<br><br>...it could be but...sometimes left-handed guys use this as an excuse... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br><br>ciao.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:22 am 

well can you tell me if it's better to learn with an acvoustic guitar?

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:25 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=0#1 date=09/23/02 at 08:26:33]I love that one......and it's true, although in my case it's not guitarplaying i don't forget, but it's playing the drums and various percussion instruments that seems like second nature to me.... I guess that makes me smart then, does'nt it ???[/quote]<br>i see you got your little quote at the bottom from the dropkick murphys song Kiss me i'm shitfaced...good lyrics

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:27 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=0#9 date=10/06/03 at 05:22:29]well can you tell me if it's better to learn with an acvoustic guitar?[/quote]<br><br>I learned on a classical one...<br>I think is better learning with an acoustic than with an electric...<br><br>ciao<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:05 pm 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=0#13 date=10/06/03 at 08:08:29]<br><br>CentralScrutin,<br>I'd really advise strongly not trying to play righty -- it's an uphill battle. It's best if you re-string it so the string order is reversed  and just mirror all the chord, scale and learning tabs. Anyone telling you to "play righty" is a righty and is full of shit if they tell you that! (Hell, I've even seen "southpaw" players who did not reverse the string order and just flipped the thing around and learned how to play lefty that way and do some pretty hot guitar work!)<br><br>Just don't put unnecessary obstacles in your way! "Playing righty" when you're not a righty sure is one of them...trust me! :D<br><br>--Bat[/quote]<br>yeah i agree with you bat....i tried to learn it right handed many years ago and to be honest it put me off learning it just didn't feel right,.<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:03 am 

playing guitar is like ringing a bell, <br>go<br>go johnny go...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:15 am 

[quote author=F_schaap link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=15#15 date=10/08/03 at 08:03:28]playing guitar is like ringing a bell, <br>go<br>go johnny go...[/quote]<br><br> ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:15 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=0#6 date=10/06/03 at 03:54:52]<br>If I (...right handed) had started to play with a left-handed guitar I would be the same now...it's a question of habit.[/quote]<br><br>That's true for the most part, Mizzu. However, I'm LH and play RH, and I have found there is one distinct limitation-- since my non-dominant hand is doing the picking, there is a "ceiling" on my picking speed. I can go pretty fast in bursts, but things like sweep-picking or extended fast passages are too much. Now, you would think "Get a metronome, start slow, and gradually increase the speed until you get where you want", right? I tried that, but there is still a distinct limit. My theory is that you aquire different motor skills with your dominant hand, such as holding and using a pencil or pen, etc. You do many, many more fine, skilled movements with your dominant hand, so it developes differently than your non-dominant hand and is used as such every hour of every day. There is more strength, control and flexibility. I eventually concluded that I'll never be able to hit Yngwie or DiMeola picking speeds without going through an insane life change to get those skills developed and maintained. Dominant-handed pickers will be able to get there more naturally. I can live with that and work around it, but it is a limitation. I've developed a pretty effective finger picking technique and can get certain things going really fast that way, but even there I can't get that whole Paco DeLucia thing happening for the same reasons listed above. <br>Now, the advantages of being LH and playing RH is having your dominant hand on the fretboard, so I tend to play a ton of hammer-ons and pull-offs in between picked notes to compensate for my picking limitations. Also I've always been able to work out complicated chord fingerings pretty easily.<br>So if anybody is LH and thinking of playing RH, this has been my experience. After many years of playing I find I can play almost anything I want to except for that advanced monster-speed-picking stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:24 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=15#17 date=10/08/03 at 10:15:45]<br><br>That's true for the most part, Mizzu. However, I'm LH and play RH, and I have found there is one distinct limitation-- since my non-dominant hand is doing the picking, there is a "ceiling" on my picking speed. I can go pretty fast in bursts, but things like sweep-picking or extended fast passages are too much. Now, you would think "Get a metronome, start slow, and gradually increase the speed until you get where you want", right? I tried that, but there is still a distinct limit. My theory is that you aquire different motor skills with your dominant hand, such as holding and using a pencil or pen, etc. You do many, many more fine, skilled movements with your dominant hand, so it developes differently than your non-dominant hand and is used as such every hour of every day. There is more strength, control and flexibility. I eventually concluded that I'll never be able to hit Yngwie or DiMeola picking speeds without going through an insane life change to get those skills developed and maintained. Dominant-handed pickers will be able to get there more naturally. I can live with that and work around it, but it is a limitation. I've developed a pretty effective finger picking technique and can get certain things going really fast that way, but even there I can't get that whole Paco DeLucia thing happening for the same reasons listed above. <br>Now, the advantages of being LH and playing RH is having your dominant hand on the fretboard, so I tend to play a ton of hammer-ons and pull-offs in between picked notes to compensate for my picking limitations. Also I've always been able to work out complicated chord fingerings pretty easily.<br>So if anybody is LH and thinking of playing RH, this has been my experience. After many years of playing I find I can play almost anything I want to except for that advanced monster-speed-picking stuff.[/quote]<br><br>That's a real interesting post!<br>Thanks a lot.<br><br>ciao.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:42 pm 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=15#19 date=10/08/03 at 19:19:22]...there are "cross-dominant" people ...[/quote]<br><br>is cross-dominant a lefty disguised as a righty....<br><br>what about the bi-dominants; they go both ways Image<br><br>or trans-domninant: the left-dominant is surgically removed & a right-dominant grafted on or vice versa<br><br>then there's homo-dominant: ya got two lefts, or 2 rights, whatever poots yer poodle<br><br><br>i'm a righty but shoot hockey left

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:58 pm 

[quote author=stashe N tee link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=0#3 date=10/05/03 at 21:11:24]I've got this simple three finger excersize i do with my thumb, index and middle fingers on the guitar, and one day my parterner says to me " You play with that fucking guitar more than you do with me" and i says "Oh yeah, well bend over and spread em baby here comes my fingers" and i proseed to do this excersize on her clit, vagina, and butthole respectively and let me tell ya folks now its " keep on practicing honey"<br>        <br>        YOWZA ;D[/quote]<br>OK...these "fit" in here...so...<br><br>The Guitarist Tunes Up <br>  <br>With what attentive courtesy he bent  <br>Over his instrument;  <br>Not as a lordly conqueror who could  <br>Command both the wire and wood,  <br>But as a man with a loved woman might  <br>Inquiring with delight  <br>What slight essential things she had to say  <br>Before they started, he and she, to play.  <br> <br>By: Frances Cornford (1886-1960)<br><br>And...then again...<br><br>I, His Guitar <br> <br>I, the lone guitar, lean against a wall and wait <br>For someone to stroke me and, my music, appreciate. <br>Let him come and tune me -- pull my strings, my nerves, up tight. <br>Let him smooth on my strap around him -- slide in just right. <br>Please let him hold me and stroke me to a rhythm. <br>Let him lose his mind to me, let my moans echo in him. <br>For, without his passionate fingers touching me so gently, <br>I'm just a lone guitar leaning motionless and empty.<br><br>By:  Maria J. Carmen (1970 -  )<br><br>;D<br><br>Gypsy Moon Dream<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:23 pm 

i'm left handed but when i used to play golf i played right handed

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:29 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=quotes;num=1032783644;start=15#19 date=10/08/03 at 19:19:22] In the same way, no one should expect a leftie to write right-handedly or play guitar right-handedly -- there's a "comfort level" in there that needs to be obeyed or otherwise you're saddling youself with a big, fat extra burden! Sheeit! ::)<br>--Bat[/quote]<br><br>True. In my case, I was forced to do it RH. :'( Long story. I wanted to own and play guitar so bad I would have agreed to anything, no matter how fucking stupid the rules were.<br><br>The only other guys I've ever heard of who are LH and play RH are Steve Morse and the guy from Triumph. They did OK, too. ;D